Transparent Zirconia-Bruxer Esthetic

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
I know, I know...you guys will mix up your own formula using a Crystal zirconia block and some old emax pellets :)

Glidewell Laboratories, industry-leading provider of dental lab products and services and manufacturer of BruxZir Solid Zirconia dental material, Research & Development team has produced transparent nanozirconia by successfully synthesizing 3 nm zirconia nanocrystals produced by "bottom-up" nanotechnology.

The research team, led by Ken Knapp, Glidewell Laboratories' program manager and lead researcher, developed a method for producing non-agglomerated 3 nm nanocrystalline zirconia powder using a revolutionary bottom-up nanotechnology technique known as "gas-phase condensation." The focused effort of the nanozirconia research team over the last year has resulted in new discoveries about the nature of sub-5 nm nanozirconia crystals. Glidewell Laboratories has filed a U.S. patent application on the new ceramic nanotechnology (patent pending). This method consists of colliding high-energy yttrium, zirconium and oxygen ions together in an energetic gaseous phase and condensing yttria zirconia nanocrystal particles resulting from atomic collisions during flight in the gas phase. The condensed yttria zirconia nanocrystal particles are separated from the gas phase and collected in the form of nanocrystalline powder. According to Knapp, "The key to making transparent polycrystalline zirconia material is starting with a non-agglomerated yttria zirconia primary crystal size less than 5 nm. Glidewell’s new gas-phase condensation nanotechnology for producing nanozirconia will allow us to overcome the fundamental polycrystalline birefringence barrier to manufacturing a transparent, high-strength monolithic dental ceramic product."

Conventional nanozirconia powder is typically produced by "top-down" nanotechnology methods such as hydrothermal synthesis (calcining followed by ball-milling). Many of the nanozirconia powders available on the market today are comprised of hard-agglomerated nanocrystals with a primary crystal size of approximately 30 nm. After sintering, typical nanozirconia grain size is between 500-1000 nm. The top-down method is widely used to produce nanocrystalline materials by breaking down larger particles and agglomerates into smaller ones, typically by ball-milling. The bottom-up nanotechnology method builds up nanoscale materials atom by atom or molecule by molecule. Bottom-up nanoscale science and technology is the state of the art for producing the next generation nanoscale materials and devices. The bottom-up method has a lower scale limit on the atomic or molecular level. Additionally, the bottom-up-produced nanocrystalline structures are not altered during the process of forming the nanoscale crystals, whereas top-down methods alter the crystal structure and surface chemistry.

Robin Carden, senior director of Glidewell Laboratories materials research and development said, "Glidewell’s nanozirconia material produced by the gas-phase condensation method overcomes the inherent sub-5 nm crystal size production barrier and hard-agglomeration formations found in conventional nanocrystalline ceramic processing."

Common zirconia dental ceramics are translucent and not transparent as a result of light-scattering during transmission by birefringence and porosity. Light-scattering by birefringence is an intrinsic property of polycrystalline optical materials with an anisotropic crystalline index of refraction. Birefringence is reduced dramatically when the sintered grain size is reduced below 100 nm. Porosity causes light-scattering in the visible spectrum between 400-700 nm, which reduces the zirconia optical transparency.

The future for high-strength esthetic nanozirconia is agglomerate-free sub-5 nm powder. James Glidewell, CDT, CEO and president of Glidewell Laboratories said, "Our continued nanozirconia research efforts, from the fundamental way that zirconia nanocrystals are formed to new sintering methods, will allow us to extend our BruxZir® product life into the next generation of nanocrystalline dental ceramics."

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Thanks Mark,

Here I thought I was a semi smart guy but when I read this it makes me feel like such a simpleton.

SiKBOY

SiKBOY

Reaction score
Do you have an english translation of this Mark?

Slipstream

Slipstream

Reaction score
Drat they beat us to it - we were so close - Scott you were way off - told you it was all in the gas phase. Mix it with hot glue - bah.

Colin

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
nah...I still think it's all ball-bearings.

a1.bp.blogspot.com__y8J7CIWccNc_S3R7vWrVuyI_AAAAAAAABLM_WKCjNBIuECc_s640_fletch2.jpg

So the Bruxir crown changes everyday huh?

How many changes so far? Colors, stains, temps, Zirconia, milling strategy, etc.....

How do you regulate a product that has so many faces?

(just busting your balls.)

* Maybe this new Zirconia will end up amazing??

Sounds like an expensive manufacturing process to end up with a handful of dust.

I'll wait and see if Glidewell actually gets the patent. Too simple of an idea to be the first. IMO
a1.bp.blogspot.com__y8J7CIWccNc_S3R7vWrVuyI_AAAAAAAABLM_WKCjNBIuECc_s640_fletch2.jpg

Last edited:
Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
John, basically, what it means is, they use a vaporization process to grow the crystals up, rather then grind the crystals down. You cannot mill zirconia down beyond a certain threshold, so you start from the bottom up, and grow the crystals to the size you want.

By controlling the conditions under which you grow the crystals, you can affect the unformity of those crystals, you can affect their shape, arrangement etc. This is actually very exciting technology.

It's nice to see the new products coming out of dental laboratories instead of be forced onto them. He has assembled a pretty inpressive team of scientists. I'm very lucky to be friends with them and get an inside glimpse of what they are doing.

They have a Lithium Disilicate that is going to blow you away, I promise. When you are producing over 8000 units a week of one particular product, you learn it's shortcomings and can develop better materials THE RIGHT WAY. Their R&D and clinical testing department has 69 people, and many Phds.

Last edited:
C

charles007

Reaction score
Mark, you can't see me, I'm dancing a gig around my worn out porcelain brush that I need to reorder.....
Do you see these changes in less than a year......What's on the horizon of materials in the very near future..... still milling ? Will milling still be around in the next 5 years or so for single units......

These are really exciting times for the labs that will still be around in the years to come.........

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
Mark, you can't see me, I'm dancing a gig around my worn out porcelain brush that I need to reorder.....
Do you see these changes in less than a year......What's on the horizon of materials in the very near future..... still milling ? Will milling still be around in the next 5 years or so for single units......

These are really exciting times for the labs that will still be around in the years to come.........

We will still be milling for a few more years at least. As inefficient and as wasteful as it is, it is still very cheap, and pretty fast.

What we will see, is the cost of the 3D printing, SLS, ELD, etc coming down and getting faster, and mills will start to go away.

I don't see us using ceramics for a whole lot longer. Resins were always the best choice, and they lend themselves to additive technologies. Materials, equipment and ultimately crown prices will continue to drop.

C

charles007

Reaction score
Mark, looks like we're going full circle. The first year I worked in the lab, I remember flasking a resin jacket for a lateral that looked sooo much better than a ceramco crown. Then Vita came out with their vita dura, ? alumina porcelain jackets.....can't remember the correct name. ........
For years now I keep hearing about resins will take over porcelain........... Inexpensive and easy to repair....... works for me.....It also sounds like a material a doctor might be able to produce inhouse..... Little desktop printer and computer ?? hope not

P

paulg100

Reaction score
Dont forget the light cured Zirconia resins that are in development.

Maybe the end of milling zirconia.

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
Dont forget the light cured Zirconia resins that are in development.

Maybe the end of milling zirconia.

If milling was practical, they'd jackhammer houses from giant blocks of concrete.

It's just plain stupid.