Tips and Techniques

T

toof makr

NOVICE
Reaction score
don't know how/if this will "upload"...???

"slide-show"
(after clicking link...then, click "slide-show" top left corner of the next screen)

darn it...want to put the slide show "UP"...?!?!
no html coding allowed...TRAVIS...how else do i do it...???

well...i have a bunch of FOTOZ...not going to put up ALL 40 of them...
would like to share...

sorry guyz...have to use the "link" for now...:joyman:

anyway...for the "Ceramists" out there...
here's a few "TRIX" (Silly Rabbit)...they come in handy...and...NOT "just for kids"...use 'em every day (what i mean is...they are practical)

Last edited:
Wyolab

Wyolab

Reaction score
Thanks, that is a great slideshow. It is great to see how other folks do their buildup step by step. What brand porcelain do you use? Do you spray the hairspray on or brush it? Thanks again, that is very well presented.

T

toof makr

NOVICE
Reaction score
i use SHUFU Vintage...the OLD STUFF...still have a few "first generation" bottles...(Crystar)

and "LIGHTLY" spray the BIG & SEXY...
i've been told that "other brands" work...???
Ubassy uses this stuff...
buddy of mine did some testing...on about 10-15 diff brands...BIG & SEXY gives BEST results...
yes...most expensive...think it has something to do w/ the nipple...
ever seen any of those graffiti artist...they use the most expensive cans...premium nozzles..more control of the spray...same applies w/ this...
AND...can use w/ MOST applications....w/ many porc's...
just recommend that you get used to it on a few practice crowns...to get the overspray down...
(i did use this on a 6 unit veneer case my first time out of the shoot...NOT good...overspray all over my fingers...my hands...the spray went "into" the refractory die material...everywhere...didn't like that much)
SO...USE SPARINGLY...!!!and...CONTROL the moisture...!!!
bring H20 to surface...tap...tap...use Kleenex (Classics)...blot from behind...
lightly spray onto porc...blot from behind...it will looks "chalky"...you can almost "carve it"...apply "new layer" right over that...lightly spray w/ atomizer (H2O)...tap tap...blot from lingual...it's ALL about moisture control !!!
btw...as many layers can be applied...all in the same firing...the guy that showed me...his little brother...funny...sits back and will spray between 4 layers...all in the same crown/firing...a bit much for me...

Last edited:
T

toof makr

NOVICE
Reaction score
btw...here is the slideshow for viewing...

[picasa="nautilusdentalstudio"]dropbox[/picasa]

Last edited:
desertfox384

desertfox384

Reaction score
Hahha "mammy dress" :D Could you explain Brix's porcelain margin technique?
Thanks for posting pics.

T

toof makr

NOVICE
Reaction score
darn it...the sllideshow was "playing" last nite...(and now i can't edit it)

he takes some wax...and gets some porcelain powder...and mixes it into the wax...untill you can't add any more...and "wax" the margin on...then...stack your full contour build ontop of that...and fire it all @ the same time...look up at the first post...click "slideshow"...you'll see...

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Are you mixing regular porcelain or shoulder porcelain into the wax?

Wouldn't the shoulder porcelain " underfire" if you fire it all together?

desertfox384

desertfox384

Reaction score
Keltik, do you sprinkle margin porcelain?

C

clearH2O

Reaction score
darn it...the sllideshow was "playing" last nite...(and now i can't edit it)

he takes some wax...and gets some porcelain powder...and mixes it into the wax...untill you can't add any more...and "wax" the margin on...then...stack your full contour build ontop of that...and fire it all @ the same time...look up at the first post...click "slideshow"...you'll see...
hi KelTik-DraGon, thanks for sharing. Do you know Mr. Okabe MDT, Prosthodontic Technician Program? Mr. Okabe mention this wax-porcelain margin in his 2004-class. I am glad you brought it up and I will use this technique in future.
Chao
clearH2O

T

toof makr

NOVICE
Reaction score
ok...sorry...been up 2 my gills...

rkm
first...yes...porc margin porcelain...no...haven't noticed that it "underfires"
good question...for real...i figure...if it works for Brix...and HAS...for a few yrs now...heck...been doin' it for 5 yrs now myself...it's good enough 4 me...ain't had anything come back for this reason...might have a contact adjustment or 2 now and then...maybe a shade adjustment...but never a margin issue...4wiw

Dfox...
nope...
i do sprinkle...but not on these...on Zr copings...after i stain w/ emp univ stains(no glaze paste)....them...sprinkle the corresponding dentin porc on...like the old E2/eris crap...

H2O...no...don't think so...??? i learned the trick from my ole man...who got if off of david pellum...before he killed himself in the car wreck...back when...then...saw it in the brix book...and...started doing it...fell in love w/ it...i like getting "simple crowns" off my bench in 3 firings...1 OP, 2 opacious dentin...then build it...fire,3 glaze w/ corrections if necc...now, for the dog and pony show stuff...that gets a diff attention level...and...more layers...that bit

thanx much, wish the darn slide show was "scrolling"...have to give it another whirl...late

T

toof makr

NOVICE
Reaction score
i know why this ain't workin'...i loaded it from my "drop box"...dang it...
sorry...will have plenty more where this came from...will go back and "re-load" this...so it will work like it is supposed to...might take me a bit...i'm about 20 hrs behind on computer work...not to mention what's on my bench for me to get back to this evening...

subrisi

subrisi

Reaction score
I might have missed the beginning of this discussion. Would you please explain what the Hairspay does? Is it preventing dryout or do you use it to better carve/cut back a crown?
Thanks
Angelika

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
It sets the porcelain and prevents it from bleeding between layers and keeps the porcelain in place where its applied no matter how small the application . Kinda like if you ever used charcoal or pastel in art class; remember the smudges? You could set the medium by spraying "art set spray" ,,,expensive, or you could use hair spray same thing.

T

toof makr

NOVICE
Reaction score
thanx...couldn't have said it better...
btw...buddy of mine purchased the "PUMP" version...i would HIGHLY recommend it over the spray can...!!! will be giving my can to the step-daughter...and getting the PUMP for my bench as well...better control...the can has quite a bit of overspray...yes...if you have any experience w/ GRAFFITI...it helps...there still is a bunch of overspray...!!!

VincentCeramics

VincentCeramics

Reaction score
This thread blown me away :) so spraying works with all ceramics ? (i use Vita VM13)

Did i get it right? ...After i put ma 'base dentin' i spray my crown, then after putting my 'dentin' i spray my crown..and no need for spraying after i put my 'enamel'. ?
thx

Top Bottom