Texture Manipulation for PLY Files

E

erzdaemon

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

i would be thankful if anyone could give a link on how textures/colours work on different Filetypes.

Problem is : If i export a textured scan made with 3shape scanners ( newer 3shape versions allow ply export nowadays ) it is gonna be a ply with an additional texture-jpg instead of the standard PLY's e.g. made with an open Scanner like Smartoptics Vinyl ( the PLY itself contains the colour information here ).

To be precise, i guess i am looking for a software that could convert these "Ply with seperate jpg texture files" to the "Open PLY containign colour" format.
Or Maybe a workflow on how to import those in Exocad to spit out normal PLY's.

The PLY's with the seperate jpg texture-file cannot be imported to e.g.: ImpressionTray Software like Shera Easy Base.

cheers

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Here's the response I got from my AI friend by copy/paste your question Stupido2(Google is outdated these days)....Hahaha
Untitled.png

E

erzdaemon

Reaction score
Just "WOW" :D

Partially succesful already, i was able to map the texture to vertex with Meshlab as described.
When i export the PLY it is previewable in my Exocad/3Sahpe Viewers with colour, but some parameters ( maybe in export, e.g.: disable binary export ) still prevent the file to be correctly imported in Shera Easy Base ( it will import the File without errors now but without colour information ).

I'll check and report back

cheers

E

erzdaemon

Reaction score
So here's my "Final" Solution:

1. Open the File with the seperate Texture file (jpg in my case) in Meshlab
2. Filters > Textures > Transfer Texture to Vertex Colour
3. File > Export Mesh as... > standard polygon format file ( ply )
4. In the following saving options disable "binary encoding" and disable "texcoord", not sure if this is mandatory
5. Import this file as Jaw Scan into a random created Exocad case and use the save as method as shown by Davalier here https://dentallabnetwork.com/forums/threads/different-versions-of-obj-file-format.33670/ ( chose ply as filetype )
6. Final PLY can be imported into shera easy base with colour then

E

erzdaemon

Reaction score
Hello again,

on further inspection, the real source of the Problem seems to be, that 3Shape uses different filenames for the exported .ply and texture .jpg ( e.g. replacing "_" and "space" in filename).

If you rename both .ply and .jpg to be the same, you might be able to import correctly.

Real Solution however should be, that the Software Devs ( Shera, R2deusexmachina etc. ) use the Filename for the Texture-File which is in the Fileheader of the .Ply in Plain text.

cheers

Top Bottom