Surgical Guide Software Recommendation

• Thread starter Donnie Praditya Sugiarto
  • Start date
D

Donnie Praditya Sugiarto

Reaction score
Hello guys. Here a newbie who wanna starts making Surgical Guide.

From yours experience, which one is the Surgical Guide software that you recommend ?

I know about 3Shape Implant Planning but very expensive. I am considering BlueSkyBio but I wanna know your opinion about other software (Blender for Dental, Inteware, etc)

Thank youuuu

A

AnAppleaDay

Reaction score
If you're not sure you will use it a lot and recoup your investment, I would suggest BlueskyBio as it is pay per use and fully featured.
If you build a nice amount of surgical guide business and want to get something else, you can always move on to CoDiagnostiX, Implant Studio or other.

D

DianaZ

Reaction score
For what it's worth, the docs at the practice where I work use BlueSkyBio and have been pleased with the results (and the fact that it's pay per use).

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
blue sky bio or realguide

E

erzdaemon

Reaction score
Exocad also has a completely separate module for implant planning "Exoplan".

They recently released a video on YT for the new Exoplan Rijeka version.

Be aware that there is another Module needed for actually creating the guides for printing/milling.

S

Salma

Reaction score
Hello guys. Here a newbie who wanna starts making Surgical Guide.

From yours experience, which one is the Surgical Guide software that you recommend ?

I know about 3Shape Implant Planning but very expensive. I am considering BlueSkyBio but I wanna know your opinion about other software (Blender for Dental, Inteware, etc)

Thank youuuu
Hello,
If you are new to surgical guides , I would recommend RealGUIDE software , it is the easiest and they offer you a free month on registration which is very cool for trials.
If you want you can connect with me I can help you more with that.
My email is [email protected]

tehnik

tehnik

Reaction score
About RealGUIDE. They don't support all the countries so you need to ask from them is your country supported (if you are outside of the US). I was able to get the trial period and after the trial period I tried to purchase the license and my country was not on the list. I contacted them and they told me that they are not even planning to add it to the list... So for now I am using 360 imaging and it is also pay per export. They recently bought a startup called atomica.ai that has also similar software and has some steps automated so you can try that. I will probably start using it after I have used my 360 points.

doug

doug

Reaction score
On this topic, if you just print a guide for a doc who does his own design, what is a ball-park fee for that?

Toothman19

Toothman19

Reaction score
Labpronto charges $89 + $29 per implant site

S

sirmorty

Reaction score
Am I the only one who thinks that planning the placing of implants shouldn't be the job of a Dental Technician.. I mean have seen some bad placements in my day that leaves me scratching my head but I always figured that it was way above my education level to question it.

I know advances with CBT scans and software make it easier than it used to be but I still don't want to be held liable.. this what the surgeons who get educated are supposed to do. Seems like it should be their job.

Not someone who watches a webinar and downloads some free software and is somehow qualified to start placing implants?

That seems incredibly negligent to me.

tehnik

tehnik

Reaction score
The point should be that dental tech is planning (basically doing the dirty work - aligning files, putting teeth in place, tracking nerve, measuring bone, according to previous steps choosing implant by length and width etc) and doctor/surgeon is then checking and approving the planning.

I chose the 360 software because they did many training sessions with actual surgeons showing how things should be done, but they insisted that the final word and responsibility is from the doctor/surgeon.

F

Frozensealion

Reaction score
Am I the only one who thinks that planning the placing of implants shouldn't be the job of a Dental Technician.. I mean have seen some bad placements in my day that leaves me scratching my head but I always figured that it was way above my education level to question it.

I know advances with CBT scans and software make it easier than it used to be but I still don't want to be held liable.. this what the surgeons who get educated are supposed to do. Seems like it should be their job.

Not someone who watches a webinar and downloads some free software and is somehow qualified to start placing implants?

You are somehow correct! Yes, Dental Technicians job does not include the clinical side of planning/placing implants. The surgical guide service consist in being proficient with the planning software to position the implant base on the Dentist instructions. During planning you can point out the restorative challenges on the spot and save headaches for yourself if you end up restoring the implant.

Whoever is providing the surgical guide service should include a liability document to be signed by the dentist.

Surgical Guides is just a bait to get the implant business.

KingGhidorah

KingGhidorah

Reaction score
I’ve only used two, 360 and codiagnostix. Purely from a software point of view, not a cost point of view, I like 360 better. You have all the tools codiagnostix has, except with 360 when you’re aligning the cbct and stl you have the ability to look from any point of view and scroll away slices of the cbct. It seems like such a small feature, but I’ve been able to align stuff on 360 that I’d never be able to align on codiagnostix. Codiagnostix has this very janky segmentation system that works horribly in cases with a bunch of scatter. If there’s not much scatter it’s no big deal, but I’ve lost cases and time on stuff I can’t get aligned in codiagnostix because of it.

G

grantoz

Reaction score
i think if you are new you should be outsourcing this as you can very badly hurt the patient, do you remember them?.

KingGhidorah

KingGhidorah

Reaction score

I agree with this completely. I’ve seen some real idiots learn and use the surgical guide software before. I’ve seen a guy have something mis-aligned by a whole 1 or 2 millimeters, and say that they’re okay with it as is, and it’s “not important enough” to bring to the doctors attention. To which I promptly told him I wanted nothing to do with the case if he thought that was okay. The only thing the doctors really looks at and cares about in my experience is the placement itself, they don’t have the attention span to go through every other step with you to make sure all the alignment and nerve marking is done correctly, so when you get these idiots off the street learning this stuff and saying they can do it with no certification or formal education at all besides a quick YouTube video they watched, or a second hand training, it leaves a whole bunch of room for mess ups. I was glad to at least see the new CDT digital certification has a spot for surgical guides, maybe if that’s in depth enough in can serve as a way to separate the people that know what they are doing from the people who don’t, though who knows. Imo someone who is good at surgical planning is someone who fully understands that it’s the doctor with the education, and knows to point the doctor to key parts of the guide that should be checked.

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
i think if you are new you should be outsourcing this as you can very badly hurt the patient, do you remember them?.
Truth is Dental Technologists, Technicians are Not allowed to Diagnose Anything period. You will certainly be included in potential legal action risk from Pt & potentially Dr if you stray into this area. Radiologists are highly trained, at great expense, to be the only voice that's legally credible interpreting this kind of data. Our Dr's should also rely on them because reading, properly, CBCT scans requires a lot of know how. Had a Dr a few years back thinking of placing some implants by themselves on a Pt looking at only PAN & X-rays. Simplant radiologist reported 3 cysts & 8 root tips, bone level in proposed vicinity. Bullet Doged! Time to get real with surgical software for labs as if your just supposed to take this task on for a Dr's Convenience. If a lab hires an onsite a Radiologist, no problem, all is in the radiologist as it should be.
I fully realize Dr's want us to take on this responsibility, no $hit, but we leave ourselves fully Exposed legally. Took a College Mandatory Jurisprudence Course a while back and even crossing the lips with a shade tab was Legally very sketchy so please be aware and recognize your boundaries, they are very real if things ever get legally ugly.

G

grantoz

Reaction score
my cousin is a medical patent attorney he said exactly the same thing. i spoke to rep who used to sell implant software .he said every time a dentist asked him to load the job up he would always use a different brand implant different size and place the implant in the middle of the palate to make sure the doctor couldnt use his planning for the same reasons as above. the dr would have to go in and do the placement themselves in the planning.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I’ve only used two, 360 and codiagnostix. Purely from a software point of view, not a cost point of view, I like 360 better. You have all the tools codiagnostix has, except with 360 when you’re aligning the cbct and stl you have the ability to look from any point of view and scroll away slices of the cbct. It seems like such a small feature, but I’ve been able to align stuff on 360 that I’d never be able to align on codiagnostix. Codiagnostix has this very janky segmentation system that works horribly in cases with a bunch of scatter. If there’s not much scatter it’s no big deal, but I’ve lost cases and time on stuff I can’t get aligned in codiagnostix because of it.
Does 360 give you the drill sequencing and depth guide sequencing?

K

kcdietz81

Reaction score
Blue Sky Plan from Blue Sky Bio. All. Day. Long. $10-12 to export a guide. I am a wet fingered dentist though.

doug

doug

Reaction score
We have dentists who design their guides and have us print them. It really takes a load off of me as I'm not involved int eh decision making,(as I shouldn't be) and to just print and return a guide is a side gig for us.