Software/hardware here and there, we heard it all but how about accuracy?

Solaris

Solaris

Reaction score
For a long time I was reading all the comments about 3shape or exocad, Wieland or Roland but how about the accuracy and the fit?
Is there anyone who has the experience with few of these systems and can tell us the preferred outcome and the quality?
Btw we have 3shape and wieland select 5 axis and the 4 axis mini and
Interested to get exocad and a new scanner, not happy with 3shapes left and right fees.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

T

Torquadon

Reaction score
Hi, we have Rolland DWX-50, DWX-30 and Yenadent DC-40. We mill metal on DC-40 and wax/zir/PMMA on Rollands. Yenadent is most precise out of them all but you can get very good results with DWX-50 and DWX-30. I met quite a few people claiming you cannot get anything decent out of Rolland due to how this machine is built, but every time we compare crowns milled on it to waxed up ones milled win every time (we compare under 10x microscope).

we also own 3shape D810 and Identica Blue 2015, both scanners are very similar in results, but 3Shape is more intuitive, it also have well better manager application, but Identica is more flexible if you want to design or scan something which is less conventional.

Hope this helps.

PearlZ

PearlZ

Reaction score
For a long time I was reading all the comments about 3shape or exocad, Wieland or Roland but how about the accuracy and the fit?
Is there anyone who has the experience with few of these systems and can tell us the preferred outcome and the quality?
Btw we have 3shape and wieland select 5 axis and the 4 axis mini and
Interested to get exocad and a new scanner, not happy with 3shapes left and right fees.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
accuracy and fit are two parameters that are translated.

the scanner has an accuracy value

the design suite has an accuracy value

the cam has an accuracy value

and especially in the case of zirconia there is an accuracy value as it pertains to unit shrinkage.

lets assume all 4 values are 20um each. IF each unit is operating at its least accurate your final product can be off by +/- 100um, a 200um swing.

the STL triangles if you examine them with a proper cam suite are quite large triangles. smooth edges really arent. asking a big bur to cut tiny deviations isnt going to happen no matter what your CAM retailer will tell you. .3mm is still an exceptionally large bur.

i have a versamill, and its axes are accurate far beyond the dwx50, but sometimes even with it i have fit issues. some units just werent meant to be Cut, rather printed.

because printed eliminates some of the glossing-over of fine detail that subtractive manufacturing introduces. don't be fooled by the accuracy numbers of your machinery.

Solaris

Solaris

Reaction score
@Torquadon and PearlZ, thank you guys!
In general we are happy with the system but sometimes after sintering multi units bridge we have some cracks.
We tried many options to redesign but this problem pops up time to time. Even some local milling centres are declining to do long span bridges actually we never were happy with the fit, design and the colour of their milled products anyway. I think beside having a good system you need a good software operator and good milling strategy but at the end nothing is really perfect and you have to calculate these issues in your work as a dental technician.
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
Too many variables for a blanket statement to be made here.

Human error, scanning accuracy, machine repeat-ability accuracy,

tooling, software parameters, etc, etc, and again Human error.

You must experiment with each setup to find out what works best for you

and your operation. That does come with material cost as well as time

cost.

Solaris

Solaris

Reaction score
Thanx Ken, this is also my conclusion.

T

Torquadon

Reaction score
One think worth mentioning about zirconia. Single copings we sinter in 6-7h but fuull span bridge is nearly 24h and always with support bar so the bridge itself does not touch sintering plate.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
I always suggest to read what Zr manufacturer suggests for firing cycles and not go by

what someone says. The manufacturer has spent a lot of time and money developing

the proper protocols for using their product. Google search the products you use, look

on the manufacturers website, or call the manufacturer if you have questions. If you have

problems getting the programs set up in your sintering oven...call the oven manufacturer

and let them know that you're using a certain type of material and want to add the programs

for that material. Manufacturers are your friends I promise.

Solaris

Solaris

Reaction score
Thank you Guys. I agree any shortcut will backfire specially during the sintering process.

Top Bottom