Single lateral

JeffT

JeffT

jeff
Reaction score
Hi all, I have this crown to do for my clients aunt. It will be in emax and the stump is natural shade underneath. The teeth are very translucent, almost like looking through a beer bottle with all effects internal. Iam thinking of using HT (not sure though) for this one and layering in effects. I am thinking HT will put me in the ball park and I can go from there. Base shade is A4. Any ideas from the many experienced (suck) ceramists would be much appreciated. Apologies in advance for image quality.

ps, Her previous crown which was done 10yrs earlier took 4 goes.

thanks in advance
Jeff
2CD.jpg

Last edited:
TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I'd probably try HT, and make a MO as a back up. Either way, you're going to have to really be aggressive on your cut back so you can get all that color in there. You're definitely going to have to do some internal staining, including staining the the e.max core with the appropriate color to match this. I'm not sure the material is as important as how you do the cutback and do your internal staining......sure looks like a fun one MMJ.

Gdentallab

Gdentallab

Reaction score
I agree with labGUY
i wouldn't go for ht. Your shade will end up being a C3 or something similar.

P

paulg100

Reaction score
tricky one. Id keep the core to min 80% of the final crown then do most of the internal colouring with stains and then fire enamels over the top.

Wether HT will grey to much or get enough opacity/chroma from the core its hard to say without giving it a try. If not id switch to LT if the stump colour is favourable, to boost the chroma.

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
tricky one. Id keep the core to min 80% of the final crown then do most of the internal colouring with stains and then fire enamels over the top.

Wether HT will grey to much or get enough opacity/chroma from the core its hard to say without giving it a try. If not id switch to LT if the stump colour is favourable, to boost the chroma.

I agree with Paul, except I think it will be an easy one.

You said the base shade is A4. I would use A4 LT.

I would wax it full contour then cut it back exactly like the underlying dentin.
In a rectangle shape and keep your core just short of the incisal edge.

You can see the underlying dentin well in this pic.
It has a small notch in the center of the edge of the denten.

Thin the incisal edge of the core in the wax on both the F and the ling. and also the entire facial of the crown as needed.

After you press it thin the incisal edge as thin as this case below.
It is important to thin it on both the F and L for trans, so light will pass through but you will also have the croma.

I would probably stain some faint white crazelines on the core and mabey a very faint ochre on down the center.
Then layer with some TB, OE1 M & D and T2 over the entire facial, and some OE1 & IE on the incisal edge.

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_sl5.jpg

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_sl.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_sl1.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_sl2.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_sl3.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_sl4.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_sl5.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_sl.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_sl1.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_sl2.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_sl3.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_sl4.jpg

Last edited:
JeffT

JeffT

jeff
Reaction score
thanks for your help and advice guys and Al for your detailed "plan of attack" of which I will pretty much run with. will post pics.

jeff

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
thanks for your help and advice guys and Al for your detailed "plan of attack" of which I will pretty much run with. will post pics.

jeff

To get an acurate cut back, after it is waxed full contour, first measure mabey 1mm horizontally and score it with your blade then cut it across.

Next take your scapel tip and score a thin line across the center of the flat edge. That is a reference for the area you want to leave. Then cut back both the facial and lingual of the scored line.

Not too paper thin or it may not press or break when you devest.
Thin it down after with a true turning green stone.

When you do your cutbacks do it before you trim back the dipped margins and while it is still on the model so you dont distort the wax up.

I would probably cut the wax back pretty good on the facial but probably leave the contacts closed on the far lingual but cut a vertical deep trough or box on both the M & D.

Note there is a blue trans band across the facial you may want to lightly stain the core there or add a small tran blue TB band there as part of your wash bake.
Err light on the blue a little bit goes a long way.
Also on the distal gingival there is a spot of higher corma orange brown you may want to stain the core there a bit.

Any stain you put on the gin you run the risk of grinding off so make sure you have enough reduction to lay porc over it.

Also I would sprue it at an angle on the facial not on incisal edge or you will mess up all your work.
Clear as mud?

JeffT

JeffT

jeff
Reaction score
yep clear as mud lol. thanks Al, i will divest the info and tackle the job wed.

jeff

JeffT

JeffT

jeff
Reaction score
Crown is finished and will be inserted on fri. Followed Al's recipe as written only adding a little bit of clear on incisal and used MMlight instead of IE as room was limited and i needed more punch for halo effect.
Sorry no pics as I only have a compact digital and the pics with that were next to useless. will let you know how it goes. "wait for dreaded phone call".

thanks again Al for your help.

jeff

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
It was easy wasnt it.

If I was you I would stop by the office and look at it. Get there about 20 minutes late to give them time to seat the patient and remove the temp and clean off the cement.

If that isnt something you are used to doing youll have butterflies at first but after a while you start to look forward to it.

JeffT

JeffT

jeff
Reaction score
Insert went well. chroma was a little strong but value and hue good. closer match to canine but blended well and looked like it should be there. I think I need to back off the staining a little in future but sure helps to see it inserted.
patient happy so me happy and its friday.

cheers to all

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
Great, job well done and you should be proud. Maybe the Doc will share some pics with you. BTW though you just have a compact, I still encourage you to shoot with it. Start documenting you work, it's a great tool for analysis not only after the case is done but during fabrication, the camera does not lie,,,well sometimes.LOL Way to start the weekend,,,,enjoy.

Last edited: