Scaning Ti non-anodiezed abutbments without spraying scanspray

S

sonlab

Reaction score
I tried this method on my last case- still have to see how the implant cr fits the abutment

I simply sand blast (50 mc) the metal very lightly just enough to get rid of the reflectivity/shine of the metal and (I am not sure if I need this next step to get good scan) then I brush on a very light coat of Spotcheck dust on the abutment.

It scanned great, almost with one scan.

Gets ride of the worry about too much spraying or too little or about film thickness of the Spotcheck .

You do have to be careful not to sand blast the underside of the abutment

Any comments?

Toothman19

Toothman19

Reaction score
Whats the point of sand blasting? Spot check covers up any shiny spots.

S

sonlab

Reaction score
Gets ride of the worry about too much spraying or too little or about film thickness of the Spotcheck .

Getoothachopper

Getoothachopper

Reaction score
I tried this method on my last case- still have to see how the implant cr fits the abutment

I simply sand blast (50 mc) the metal very lightly just enough to get rid of the reflectivity/shine of the metal and (I am not sure if I need this next step to get good scan) then I brush on a very light coat of Spotcheck dust on the abutment.

It scanned great, almost with one scan.

You do have to be careful not to sand blast the underside of the abutment

Any comments?
I agree ! Iv'e always done that , the fits are perfection and even though I have no proof , but I would imagine the bond when cemented is better too. (It was a doc who gave me the idea a few years ago). The only downside is I have to re polish below the margin of the implant.

S

sonlab

Reaction score
What do you do for anodized gold abutments?

Toothman19

Toothman19

Reaction score
Ive honestly never had an issue. However, are you brushing on Spotcheck? I'm just doing a light spray from an aerosol can and it sticks to the shiny surface and scans perfect

S

sonlab

Reaction score
Can't get it to be consistent- to much too little etc...

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Cad Spray from talladium super light and not powdery, then have a special die spacer setting 0.010/0.025 accurate fits all the time. Sand blasting might work but then when you re polish it, you have a loose crown.

S

sonlab

Reaction score
Cad Spray from talladium super light and not powdery, then have a special die spacer setting 0.010/0.025 accurate fits all the time. Sand blasting might work but then when you re polish it, you have a loose crown.
Why repolish? leave it sand blasted.

S

sonlab

Reaction score
True. But why would the dentist want a nice shiny Ti abutment over a slightly dull one if it has no affect on show thru?
It probably is easier to handle intra-orally due to not being so slippery.