NobelProcera - optical scanner

C

charles007

Reaction score
Bruce
What you wrote is exactly what I was told......aprox 5 years ago. ....
My opinion years ago was, the procera probe scanner is old outdated technology . But hey, I'm just a old lab tech and its really hard to sell rotating open margin crowns ..........

C

Caver

Reaction score
Bruce wrote, "I think this has more to do with the scanner's operator than the scanner itself. We have been using a Procera Forte, touch scanner, in our lab for 3 years and the fit and margins are near perfect depending upon which technician is scanning! The newbies tend to have a tougher time picking the margins but they eventually learn the procedures to eliminate bad margins and poor fit.

The key is to have the margins spot on or a tad short to begin with. If they are overextended and they have to be ground down the fit is lost."

I have been using the Mod 40 for 10 years and I agree with Bruce. I have outsourced to Lave, Sirona and some others that have been a very big disappointment. I will put my Procera copings up against any other system.

You can take the best scanner on the market and turn out the worse copings if you get in a rush or don't know the system. Likewise you can also take an out dated scanner and turn out superior copings.

Still waiting on my new Procera optical scanner!!!

C

charles007

Reaction score
Spot on, bad fitting coping from all the different brand of materials can be seen. Operator must know what they are doing with any material or system.

C

clearH2O

Reaction score
please post your pictures

Spot on, bad fitting coping from all the different brand of materials can be seen. Operator must know what they are doing with any material or system.
I've learned so much from your guys, but hope to see some of (the good, the bad, and the ugly) pictures of this interesting subject. Sharing these informations worth a lot to all of us and it make me so proud to be one of you guys
thanks
ClearH2O

aidihra

aidihra

Reaction score
I was at a hands-on course yesterday for the NobelProcera and we got to play around with the software. I found the software to not be as user friendly as I had hoped. I'm sure if I used it for a certain amount of time it would be easier to use. Now I have nothing I can compare it to, so if anybody has compared the different sofwares from the different systems and can share that info, that would be great.

JayH

JayH

Geek
Reaction score
I too found the user interface during design to be quite procedural, to use an allegory from programming. The flow from one stage to another is lacking and non-intuitive. Scans are often incomplete and unusable and we have had to start over and even revert to our forte a number of times. Looks cool though.

The rest of the user interface (support, administrative, iow non-design,) is quite difficult, even incomplete. For example, I can't delete a case once created, even if I haven't defined any of it's parameters.

As to the iTero issue, you should be able to export the case data right from the margin marking software and use it directly in the new software.

neila

neila

Reaction score
We have the new scanner from Nobel. It is made by a company in Israel called Optimet. To Nobel's credit when they realised that they were behind the 8 ball with there scanner and software they went out to market and bought the best software from Biocad and sourced what they believe is the best scanning technology from Optimet (known as Conscopic Holography)
We have had a Forte for years and the results for Zirconia were terrible to say the least, oddly enough the few Zirconia copings that we done with the new scanner have been unusable ( short margins) I was really surprised at the fit as I had also been told that Nobel had upgraded all of their milling machines as well. I have to believe they will rectify this as there is no reason that the fits should not be perfect.
We luckily do not rely on them for our Zirconia as we have an in house milling system for that, we will only do Procera if requested.
The Nobel scanner is also closed architecture so they will control the file and you will be paying them to do any wax copings, models or sintered frameworks.
I should add that the main reason we got the new Nobel scanner is for the custom abutments and implant bar application and so far I have to say that it has delivered.

PGguy

PGguy

Reaction score
How is the wax/resin patterns coming along? I'm eager to try it.

SiKBOY

SiKBOY

Reaction score
I have had the same issues with a few of the others that have replied. The fit of the procera's were shocking. They were way to big and would rotate on the die. The colour of the procera blocks were exactly that... BLOCK.
But in saying that, its been a good 5 or more years since I have delt with it.

harmonylab

harmonylab

Reaction score
I was at a hands-on course yesterday for the NobelProcera and we got to play around with the software. I found the software to not be as user friendly as I had hoped. I'm sure if I used it for a certain amount of time it would be easier to use. Now I have nothing I can compare it to, so if anybody has compared the different sofwares from the different systems and can share that info, that would be great.

I use both inLab and the etkon software. also slightly familiar with Cercon.

inLab is rather poorly coded. I find it to be way too buggy, but I do tend to push the system hard. Still, I often feel like I'm using a beta version. Program crash is almost a daily occurrence. The crap pc they set me up with could be part of the problem, but that's still on them.
Other than that, it's fairly user friendly, as far as the basics go. I don't know if it's on purpose, but for expert users, its design is pathetic. There's a major lack of hotkeys, and shortcuts are non-existent. The few shortcuts that they did make, aren't documented or shown anywhere in the software. Without training, a lot of key features and functions are impossible to learn.
I don't know if that's by design, but either way it's quite shoddy.
Also, something about the translation and design of the software is very poorly done. Using software is like second nature to me, but some features of this program are not very intuitive at all.
That said, the CAD portion of the program is quite good. Designing is easy, with a lot of excellent tools.

the etkon software, I'm not very familiar with, as it pretty much sits in the lab collecting dust. With our turnaround time of a week, it's just not viable for us. anyway, the software is good, very straight forward, and easy to use. unike inLab, this one I could simply get on and do everything on it without any help or training.

anyone else have any info on cad software?

Old Navy Tech

Old Navy Tech

Reaction score
No trade in for the Mod 40. It's a work horse and the Procera rep told me if I sold the scanner and computer with the software they would support the lab that bought it. I can make someone a real good deal to get into Procera.

We are currently paying $57 US for copings and I think $175 for abutments. If we get our volume up the copings will drop to under $50, depending on volume.

NobelBiocare also has the Nobel Guide software which is included in the price. If you don't know about the Nobel Guide software and "Teeth in an Hour" I suggest you look into the software. This software package is selling for $5000US but is is part of the package.

I will keep you informed. Cheers

With no volume, I can get a coping for 34$US with my 3Shape D810 open source scanner.

Old Navy Tech

Old Navy Tech

Reaction score
I have had the same issues with a few of the others that have replied. The fit of the procera's were shocking. They were way to big and would rotate on the die. The colour of the procera blocks were exactly that... BLOCK.
But in saying that, its been a good 5 or more years since I have delt with it.

Procera copings fit Like Socks on a rooster, :)

Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
what about when they start milling everything instead of pressing over the next few months. they'll offer nothing different and you'll be stuck with them.

K

kotharyabbas

Reaction score
Hello,
Please guide. I have a 7 Series dental Wings scanner Old model and I plan to scan ti bases scan post using it to design and fabricate implant bars. Do you guys think it will work accuracy wise?

K

kotharyabbas

Reaction score
Hello All,
I have a 7 Series Dental Wings scanner and want to start designing screw retained pretau Full Zr bridges for implants. I am using the IPD Ti bases and Scan post. Please guide if I would be able to do this with accuracy as I do not have any access to a probe scanner. Any guidance will be highly appreciated. Thank you