Need More Classes!

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Just went to my 1st class/presentation yesterday. It was on Nobel's all-on-4. I'm hooked! How do you find out about more of these aside from bugging your sales reps?

Is there a place that tries to keep a list of classes?

I'm not cdt/rdt yet, but havecbeen looking into it heavily. My 5 years in the lab is this August. Any sugesstions or things you wish you knew going in? Do you have to have a specialty? Can you have more than one? Big issue for me is I've never done porcelain, is that a required skill set?

Any information anyone is willing to share will be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
k2 Ceramic Studio

k2 Ceramic Studio

Reaction score
It's great you have the bug, enthusiasm is a fantastic thing, don't let any one take it from you. And good luck with your future learning.

doug

doug

Reaction score
Get signed-up on the Nobel website so you get all of their email notices for all of their offerings, even the ones aimed at the GP's and surgeons.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
It's great you have the bug, enthusiasm is a fantastic thing, don't let any one take it from you. And good luck with your future learning.

No one steals my love of learning! I should probably find out if there is such a thing as an information addict! I've got a quote from Thomas Jefferson on one of my bookshelves.
"When I get any money, I buy books, with whatever is left over I buy food"

Last edited:
JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Get signed-up on the Nobel website so you get all of their email notices for all of their offerings, even the ones aimed at the GP's and surgeons.

That's wonderfull! Thanks! Didn't know about that opportunity.

k2 Ceramic Studio

k2 Ceramic Studio

Reaction score
No one steals my love of learning! I should probably find out if there is such a thing as an information addict! I've got a quote from Thomas Jefferson on one mf my bookshelves.
"When I get any money, I buy books, with whatever is left over I buy food"

I love the quote, and think you will find a lot of like minded individuals on here. Again all the best with your thirst for knowledge.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Sure have so far! It's fairly amazing what I've learned from here in the 7momths I've been an active participant. Of course I was lurking in the shadows for a few years before... It takes some chutzpah to start talking to people about your flaws in your work!

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Get hooked up with a local study club for dentists in your area. Sometimes they are free sometimes pricey, but most times you are able to make contact with like minded clinicians which is half the battle.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Get hooked up with a local study club for dentists in your area. Sometimes they are free sometimes pricey, but most times you are able to make contact with like minded clinicians which is half the battle.

Don't believe we have one in our immediate area. 10ish yrs ago our lab used to run these. I wasn't around then, but I've inferred a lack of sufficient interest, which may be incorrect.

Just asking the docs would be good for finding a lot of things I guess.

wwcanoer

wwcanoer

Reaction score
on the west coast, IDEA down by SFO has an incrdable teaching hands-on facility for both DDS and techs, UCLA usually will have something for techs. In the old days I would ask my Ivoclar rep, but . . . .

C

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
I sometimes joke with techs...

"I learned everything I know from youtube."

You can find a lot on youtube about our field...

My favorite is MarkAshley... Hes the tim the toolman taylor for dental techs... he has a channel for everythingdentistry.com or whatever its called...

He has a zillion videos and in half of them he creates an oops scenerio. And just like The toolman, its not on purpose...

You'll learn everything by doing it... Just keep an open mind about cross training... Do as much of everything you can....

I can do everything. And other than most folks here on DLN, I havent met many in the flesh... Most folks stick to one thing be it model work, porcelain, metal, etc...
Then theres Cad/Cam, Temps, Administration, Talking with Dr.s and knowing your ****, Implants, Ortho, Surgical, the list goes on... Learn as much as you can...
But if you can learn the whole trade, youll never be out of a job...

I'd hire you based on your attitude thus far...

disturbed

disturbed

Disturbing Member
Reaction score
don't spread yourself to thin. focus. i am crown and bridge. throwing partials and dentures in the mix would only mess things up...literally.. i know how to do em' done a few. that's the extent. soo much to learn in this field that when you try to know it all a lot gets lost or pushed aside..

coming from a know it all.... :)

M

martintay

Reaction score
don't spread yourself to thin. focus. i am crown and bridge. throwing partials and dentures in the mix would only mess things up...literally.. i know how to do em' done a few. that's the extent. soo much to learn in this field that when you try to know it all a lot gets lost or pushed aside..

Jack of all trades- master of none - won`t cut it in this trade ( i think ) but its useful to have the Knowledge !

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
on the west coast, IDEA down by SFO has an incrdable teaching hands-on facility for both DDS and techs, UCLA usually will have something for techs. In the old days I would ask my Ivoclar rep, but . . . .

C

Sady, for that anyway, I'm closer to being on the other ocean.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I sometimes joke with techs...

"I learned everything I know from youtube."

You can find a lot on youtube about our field...

My favorite is MarkAshley... Hes the tim the toolman taylor for dental techs... he has a channel for everythingdentistry.com or whatever its called...

He has a zillion videos and in half of them he creates an oops scenerio. And just like The toolman, its not on purpose...

You'll learn everything by doing it... Just keep an open mind about cross training... Do as much of everything you can....

I can do everything. And other than most folks here on DLN, I havent met many in the flesh... Most folks stick to one thing be it model work, porcelain, metal, etc...
Then theres Cad/Cam, Temps, Administration, Talking with Dr.s and knowing your ****, Implants, Ortho, Surgical, the list goes on... Learn as much as you can...
But if you can learn the whole trade, youll never be out of a job...

I'd hire you based on your attitude thus far...

I don't think porcelain is for me, color vision is shot from looking at eclipses. Oops.
But I'm wanting to pick up a working understanding of everthing else I can. I've always felt that you should understand as much as you can abbout everything that impinges on your primary tasks, that enables you to do your job better for those down-stream, and comprehend upstream decisions, even if you never get to actively use your knowledge of that particular facet.
I really want to understand denture work as it seems it would inform a lot of design decisions in implant work...
I'm already the cad guy as I'm the lab geek, rebuilt our system over a weekend when it lost a capacitor on the motherboard( it was from the infamous days of the bad capacitor electrolyte) cause we had a rush case. Still want to get a better knowledge of that end, as we're only usong Procera Forte at this point...
I've picked up a lot from youtube already, we've modified a few proceses in our lab from what I was able to teach from learning there. You don't know it til you can teach it, then you end up learning more while researching answers to questions you never thought to pose.

My boss is like you on the do everything catagory. Trying to pick up much as I can from him, but you've heard the pot roast joke I'm sure. Replication of action is not replication of knowledge.
(Honey, why do you cut the ends off the pot roast? Moma always did. Moma why... Grandma always did. Grandma, why... So it'd fit in my pot)

Uh, thanks. Around this redneck area, I'm the weirdo...

Sorry for typing your ear off, took my muscle relaxer, always loosens my fingers a bit...

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score

Understand what ypu mean, but I find a synergistic effect occurs if I keep adding to the pile of mastered techniqes. Might change my mind in another 5 years though. Nah.

Edit: And I could do with spreading myself a bit thin, too much of me's in the middle... ;)

Last edited:
CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
theres a lot of junk on youtube too. "how to" videos that don't actually walk you through steps.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Jack of all trades- master of none - won`t cut it in this trade ( i think ) but its useful to have the Knowledge !

Knowledge is power, so lets jump the circuit breaker.

Oh, btw, Franklin's actual quote is Jack of all tradess master of 1.

Top Bottom