making a model from STL

G

Gene

Reaction score
I need to have an accurate model made from an STL file. I need it because the Dr does not want to remove the temps to take an impression , Pt. is very difficult. I had the original model we made the implant heads on to scan for temps. Now the head s are in the mouth and I have no model to fit the zirconia bridges to. Dr does't want to remove heads either. Any recommendations, I got a quote for a model of @ 385.00. That sound quite expensive, is that about right? The case has 10 custom abutments, lower 19 -31 split up into 3 parts. Whatare some names of outsourcing lab that do this kind of work?
Gene

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
without really looking at the scan data, there's no way to know what you're up against. By the way, I hope you didnt touch the abutments or drop any margins because then you're SOL. For $400 that sounds pretty cheap, considering you are passing your headache onto someone else to handle (even if it IS just for a model).

Is this going to be Porcelain Fused to Zirconia or all Full contour Zirconia?

Ahmad Al B

Ahmad Al B

Reaction score
if your scan is accurate and good send it for 3d printing alot of milling centers does that .. we used to do it for like 15$ a model ..

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
804-285-0777

Scott....many options and no where close to that price!

G

Gene

Reaction score
without really looking at the scan data, there's no way to know what you're up against. By the way, I hope you didnt touch the abutments or drop any margins because then you're SOL. For $400 that sounds pretty cheap, considering you are passing your headache onto someone else to handle (even if it IS just for a model).

Is this going to be Porcelain Fused to Zirconia or all Full contour Zirconia?

Full contour Zirconia, need to be able to fit the case before sending for tryin. The milling and design was done on a Zircon Zahn system. My scanning lab said that just because you have a scan doesn't mean all you do is push a button and poof you get a model. Something about fitting gingival with implant in the scan. My Dr is being very difficult, does not want to take impression of abutments in the mouth. Pt is handicap and head and tongue constently are moving around. I feel for the Dr , but I neglected to tell him to impreess after setting heads so I would have a model.

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
Full contour Zirconia, need to be able to fit the case before sending for tryin. The milling and design was done on a Zircon Zahn system. My scanning lab said that just because you have a scan doesn't mean all you do is push a button and poof you get a model. Something about fitting gingival with implant in the scan. My Dr is being very difficult, does not want to take impression of abutments in the mouth. Pt is handicap and head and tongue constently are moving around. I feel for the Dr , but I neglected to tell him to impreess after setting heads so I would have a model.

I would have to see the scan, but yes, you are right, if the "heads" or abutments are sub-gingival, then creating the model may involve some clean up. Call CAP or ***, they actually offer services for model making. However, I can confidently say that if the scan is good enough, and there is an articulation file, you should have no problem creating a Full Contour Multi-Piece full arch. We do it constantly with PMMA for temps and more or less mill the same file in Zirconia.

Ahmad Al B

Ahmad Al B

Reaction score
Okay Heres My Suggestion ... they are right about fitting gingiva and implant cuz the zirkonzahn scans on multiple bases .. so you scanned healthy teeth then gingiva then abutments and its all separate scans ...
open a new order with the same teeth numbers and everything ( it doesn't really matters but better ) . now go straight to Modellier it will ask for scans you go to your CAD-Data folder then to the patients folder and get the healthy scan .. it should be labeled as the healthy teeth numbers .. press cancel for gingiva and cancel for antagonist .. stop the wizard by pressing The big "W" .. right click then go to add and remove scans .. add an additional scan ( abutments ) then press apply .. again right click and adjust scan data orientation .. it will merge them together and you now have a scan for abutments and healthy together ...
now the tricky part is to find a simple free cad program to close the holes so you can have an actual model to print ... i use netfabb basic .. it does the trick ...
for all i know this is the only solution if you dont want to pay and really want a model ... you can always mill PMMA or any other materiel and send it for try in and find out if it fits ..
hope this helped

G

Gene

Reaction score
Thanks Ahmed, I will pass this info to my scan lab, it my help. This may be what he was talking about with the merging of the 2 file, I will also mentioned netfabb. He was going to mill inPMMA.