HIP mounting

S

smiledesigner

Reaction score
Hi can anyone help me with the Hip technique used with LVI cases I understand its the two hamular notches and the incisal papilla but how do I line them up to mount the case??:cool:

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
I suppose you could use the LVI acculiner.The Acculiner is not an arcon articulator. It is classified as a Class II articulator – which is defined as an instrument that permits horizontal as well as vertical motion but does not orient
the motion to the temporomandibular joints
IMG_1755-1.jpg
[/IMG]
awww.wiandlab.com_images_acculiner.jpg
or you could make your own U will need an edge for the hamular notch and something to hold the incisal papilla to the same height of the posterior edge. I used a screw with a magnet glued to it and the back angle with a magnet to hold it to a metal mounting plate from a keystone articulator.
IMG_1418-1.jpg
[/IMG]
With the keystone you would want to insure the back edge is Parallel to articulator hinge & the screw the same height as the edge & approx 110mm to the incisal papilla from the hinge condyle of the articulator. Of course your DDS will have to go the extra effort & insure you have the hamular notch onn the model.
I believe that the Stratus has a mounting designed by Dr Carlson at LVI.
It is from the old Swisident mounting system I don't have any pictures but do have the old 1960 swisident articulator in storage, it was also used in 1985 by the Dentsply triad arch form system, I have that in storage as well.
hope that helps AJ

awww.wiandlab.com_images_acculiner.jpg

Last edited:
Bobby Orr ceramics

Bobby Orr ceramics

Reaction score
We've worked with the Acculiner for over 10 years ....... We don't use any other articulator for smiles or full mouth cases. One thing I learned over the years is....... NO ARTICULATOR CAN REPLICATE THE MOVEMENT IN A PATIENTS MOUTH !!!

The mandible moves in so many unique directions for every patient, it's impossible to duplicate any rotation and/or translation movement within an appliance.

However, the Acculiner is the most predictable articulator for establishing a proper maxillary plane for 85% of patients mounted with an HIP plane. There is no facebow or Kois analyzer jig that provides such accuracy. We've done hundreds of full mouth cases to support this along with dr. Carlson's publications. This applies to dentures, ortho, partials , over dentures, crown and bridge, etc.

We analyze all HIP mountings with a Digital Stick Bite analysis to verify our mountings. The consistensy is comforting at the most critical stage of setting up a rehab.

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
Although not my favorite I have customers that want me to work on the Acculiner. It would have been nice if they were not 3lb & so clumsy in the hand. Bobby have you noticed a tenacity for the back pivot control to not move well on patients left, & the bottom pivot to lock up during movements? I have 3 & they all seem to have this quirk. it would have also been nice if there was some means of a Cuspid rise, other than use of imagination. I also like the bite stick T just to check.
also repair parts are difficult to obtain.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
HIP atriculation is available for Panadent, Denar, Hanau, Stratos series (all) and the above acculiner, however there s a big difference in the function of each articulator as well as the pricepoint. i'd go with the stratos. easiest IMO to use, and can be the cheaper of the bunch in terms of price. you can even make your own mounting rings with some stone and a washer.

Bobby Orr ceramics

Bobby Orr ceramics

Reaction score
We're not using any pivotal movements on the articulator..... we use it only for maxillary mounting, set up of the mandible relationship, setting up any max teeth, and the mand teeth.

Cuspid guidance isn't always necessary ...... cuspid guidance in most cases ..... is a pathological function, and not a newly created function with a full mouth rehab whether denture or crown/bridge. Alot of times, CG is a nighttime functional habit. The last time you ate a meal, did ya notice....."wow, I love my cuspid guidance !!" ? Alot of times we create CG to protect the 4 incisors from excessive lateral forces within an overclosed bite. In a healthy functioning vertical dimension, there should be very little canine contact.

parts are hard to find....... the last time I spoke with dr. Carlson, he said production will be starting up again soon.

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
I use the stratos occlusal analyzer from LVI, its the easiest one to use

LVI Occlusal Analyzer | LVI Global
aecx.images_amazon.com_images_I_3145Z6Si5eL._SL160_.jpg
Really sweet but I'm not sure I want to spend $500. at this time. Maybe I could get the DDS to splurge, & I would just hold on to at my lab for his articulations?
aecx.images_amazon.com_images_I_3145Z6Si5eL._SL160_.jpg

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
yeah you can do that, but remember: acculiner atriculators sell for 6000. full stratos 200 with the HIP table, incisal pin, removable magnetic mounts, kangaroo tail, and silver case sells for 1200. with the added features of the stratos and simplicity of use, i'd pick it (then the panadent, then the denar) before touching an acculiner. we have 3 acculiners here, they are used only on cases requiring a vertical increase of more than 3mm. everything else goes in stratos or brass articulation.

when acculiner plastic mounting plates get wet, they suction-cup to the plate. after ages, the plastic plate begins to sag as the picture you see above. this will throw your bite out the window; the stratos stone rings a. you can keep an infinite supply of, b. dont sag, c. can be reclaimed and re-used with hot water if you need to remount. need i tell you what hot water will do to plastic if it does not cool properly?

in the last place, acculiner set-screws (it has a total of 6) are only made of nylon. easily broken if overtightened (happened to me!) and not easily replaceable. not even from a hardware shop. its a metric screw, so americans seldom see the proper thread, and those screws often only come in Allen key format, instead of thumbscrews.

save the headaches, spend the money.

Palyaris

Palyaris

Reaction score
To addition about a Stratos. Recently I've bought Stratos 100 articulator and not found a set-up table. It is in a separate suite, which is pricy, and the main thing - is not needed. Therefore the mounting table I've made by myself. That's cheap, simple and functionaly.
P1000387.JPG

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
My stratus has the universal magnet mounts & if you remove them are they still calibrated? What did you use for your plate and wht is the bend in the back? Looks really sweet though.

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
Yes that is the calibration, Your mounting I think can still be worked with the magnetic, but it is not a hip plane mounting. although a nice setup base. If the posterior ledge was 5mm & you had a 5mm pin for the incisive papilla you could mount in a HIP Plane.

Palyaris

Palyaris

Reaction score
Oh, I've got wise to, you're talking about edentulous jaws (models) mounting . The fact is, I'm not engaged in a removable, just don't like it. Namely that's why I don't need this expensive suite, and I had done my handmade.
P1000394.JPG