Help with EP 500

E

epycj

Reaction score
Hello all,
I am brand new to this site, so forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong spot.
I have been in the industry for 11 years and am finally starting my own lab, so wish me luck. I recently purchased an EP 500 from craigslist, and of course it didn't come with the manual. I can't seem to find a manual for it anywhere online. If anyone knows where i might be able to get a copy of this, it would be so apprecited. What i really need to know is the number for the calibration program for the silver calibration. So, if anyone knows? I e-mailed Ivoclar, but haven't gotten a response. So, any input would be great. Thanks for your time.

sixonice

sixonice

Reaction score
Hello all,
I am brand new to this site, so forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong spot.
I have been in the industry for 11 years and am finally starting my own lab, so wish me luck. I recently purchased an EP 500 from craigslist, and of course it didn't come with the manual. I can't seem to find a manual for it anywhere online. If anyone knows where i might be able to get a copy of this, it would be so apprecited. What i really need to know is the number for the calibration program for the silver calibration. So, if anyone knows? I e-mailed Ivoclar, but haven't gotten a response. So, any input would be great. Thanks for your time.

the calibration is program number 99. send me a private email with your address and i will send you a EP500 manual. i have an extra copy that i would be more than happy to send you. make sure when you calibrate to use the calibration kit for the EP500 and the silver wires. be sure you get the press up to the base temperature for a good hour before you calibrate to be certain that you heat soak all the fire brick correctly. use a honey comb firing tray to place the white ceramic holder that the silver wire sits in.

Sydceramist

Sydceramist

Reaction score
Hi is the manual you have a digital copy if so I am in need of one. Thanks

wwcanoer

wwcanoer

Reaction score
do you still need a copy?

PM me and I'll scan-email one to you if needed

C

Sydceramist

Sydceramist

Reaction score
I cant find the PM link or button to message you my email.

wwcanoer

wwcanoer

Reaction score
iF verban's link doesn't work for you, POST another response and I'll scan mine for you.

In case you didn't know, Ivoclar no longer makes replaced parts for EP500, (muffle excluded) but still has a decent inventory left, and I do know that the copper housings that the blades fits into are no longer available.

Carol K

Sydceramist

Sydceramist

Reaction score
verban's works fine. Thanks

I went from ep600 back to the 500 I lost faith in new technology, the older equipment are built very well and simple.

I have a friend at Liechtenstein HQ, no trouble getting parts, these copper housings what are they for? Thanks

wwcanoer

wwcanoer

Reaction score
If you go to the above Google site, scroll down to page 4 and 5, the brass housings are part 69. When you open up your muffled dome, you see the two silver blades on either side. The brass housings are inside the slots that those fit into when the dome is closed. If you start to see "black" on those silver prongs, it was explained to me, that means you're getting arcing because those brass inserts are dirty. If you let the black buildup excessively on the prongs they become pitted, it leads to very short muffle life. Like less than a year. Those parts are still available for a P 80 porcelain oven, which is about the same vintage, but they are not interchangeable with the EP 500.

I had an internal vacuum line rupture last month in my EP 500, Ivoclar had some of the replacement parts but was able to get things working again anyway.

And I agree with you, the old ones seem to be built to last forever.

Carol K

brutal85

brutal85

Reaction score
Thanks so much for this vurban210 , my boss will find this very useful. :)

vurban210

vurban210

Reaction score
Glad I could help. Sorry it is not a better scan. Hard to believe Ivoclar does not keep a version on their site. Seems like there are still a lot of EP500 furnaces in use. Guess they really want people moving to the new stuff.

Put my vote in on the EP600 not being so great. Worked with a lot of labs that had trouble with that model. At least with the 500 you could control things.

I will say the 3000 and 5000 are great units, anyone I know that uses them seems to have zero issues.

I

Ivan

Reaction score
I have a muffle for the 500 if your interested.

Sydceramist

Sydceramist

Reaction score
Hi Ivan with the ep500 muffle isnt it possible to insert in the ivoclar p90 p95 furnaces

I

Ivan

Reaction score
Sydceramist, I'm not sure but they can tell you at Ivoclar.

Sydceramist

Sydceramist

Reaction score
Yeah that manual is poor quality heres a better one!

Attachments

• EP500-BA-e.pdf
    609 KB · Views: 100
Top Bottom