e.max turned gray?

user name

user name

Reaction score
Im doing 8&9 in e.max. (Shade A-1). They were done in e.max a couple years ago but have turned an awful gray. Someone said in another thread something about making sure if the Doctor was packing cord that there was a component that will cause grayness over time...? Ideas?

P

paulg100

Reaction score
either the stumps gone darker (tooth now non-vital?) or more likely the cement/adhesive has discoloured.

M

martintay

Reaction score
I think someone said something about blood contamination !

RDA

RDA

Reaction score
I experienced this problem several years ago with e.max veneers, and found if a dual cure cement is used that it can lower the value of the restorations over time. Sometimes it happens in a few weeks, or sometimes it takes longer. There are some studies online that provide more information on this topic, here is one such link:

Using Dual Cure Resin Cement for Veneers: Stain Over Time? | OsseoNews

http://www.kerrdental.com/cms-filesystem-action?file=KerrDental-Products-TechSpecs/maxcemperformancetechbulletin.pdf
The initiator system used in adhesive resin cement
systems(BPO/amine) has two significant color-stability
flaws. First,the catalyst paste on its own will progressively
discolor(yellowish tint)when stored on the shelf. Second,
the self-cured or dual-cured cement will progressively
discolor overtime, compromising long-term esthetics. The
new redox initiator system used offers significant
advantages over BPO/amine initiator systems, eliminating
the undesirable discoloration and resulting in a more
esthetic restoration.

If it's dark just around the margins, then most likely it's caused by bacteria gathering in an open margin area.

Last edited:
PDC

PDC

Reaction score
Sometimes clinicians may have a difficult time creating a perfect scenario for bonding veneers ie. wet field, blood, or not enough tissue retraction. I have seen similar issues with veneers where the patient comes back maybe a yr. later with "dark crud" at the gingival margins and it is up under the veneers. Sometimes this is attributable to gingival retraction cords containing ferric sulfate (iron) which leaches up under the crown during the bonding process. This may not be immediately noticeable but over time will start to discolor. There are other hemostatic agents available that don't contain ferric sulfate.
I have also heard of some bonding resins causing a bluish or grey tint to veneers...I can't remember which manufacturer it was, but I'm pretty sure it was limited to one specific company. I would check with your dentist to see if he may have recorded in the patient records what resin he used to bond those veneers with.

jpmilesdds

jpmilesdds

Reaction score
Gret answer, PDC! My best guess is hemostatic agent. It's hard to clean off and will turn dark if trapped under a restoration. At Pacific Dental School, we recommend aluminum chloride rather than ferric sulfate in the anteriors. Dual cure cements can change color over time, but it's not very much and tends to be yellowish.

GAP

GAP

Reaction score
Im doing 8&9 in e.max. (Shade A-1). They were done in e.max a couple years ago but have turned an awful gray. Someone said in another thread something about making sure if the Doctor was packing cord that there was a component that will cause grayness over time...? Ideas?

I've heard them greying out on endo tx teeth. did pt have rt canals?