Custom abutment fit and design issue

sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score
I had a custom abutment milled and I'm stumped. It's as though the whole abutment is sitting 1.5 mm high. So the finish lines are above the tissue and its almost in occlusion. That is not the way it appears in my design. I measured the abutment and it appears to be the same length as the measure tool shows. damms5.PNG

A

adl

Reaction score
Is it a solid model, or sectioned?

sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score
Is it a solid model, or sectioned?
Its a solid model... It appears from my measurements that for some reason the analog scanned 2 mm deeper than on the model. orientation is correct .

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
go check to make sure when you lined up the scan locator it did not move up on ya

N

NYJHL

Reaction score
I had a custom abutment milled and I'm stumped. It's as though the whole abutment is sitting 1.5 mm high. So the finish lines are above the tissue and its almost in occlusion. That is not the way it appears in my design. I measured the abutment and it appears to be the same length as the measure tool shows. View attachment 23908

rescan / align interface

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
scan locator ? same as scan body ?
yes. if the scan body was not fully seated (as in, high on the lip of the fixture) however, the abutment would be sitting too low.

guessing it was not setup correctly in the DME. someone didnt align their analog and scan body correctly.

sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score
..that was my thought also,, if not seated correctly it would have been sitting low..when you say the DME is that my error ? and if it is why would the image show me differently ? thanks

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
no, the DME is how your implant manufacturer put together their files so your 3shape could align the scan body, and understand where the implant analog lies, and in what rotation.

lets start at the beginning. does the rotation, angle and depth of the implant look correct?

if it does, hide the analog using the sliders on the right. compare the designed abutment and your actual abutment.

betting on an old DME, sending to straumann or nobel. they recently added the extended connection on the interface. abut extended connection.png

for reference please see this, taken from straumann PDF

https://www.straumann.com/content/d...images/Microsites/Original/490.025-en_low.pdf

str authentic.png

sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score
Yes , angle , oreintation , and depth look correct in photo... DAMM6.PNG ..depth is the only differance on the model.... When I originally submitted the file it was rejected ..I selected 3.5 base when it was actually a 4.5..all scanning was done with a 4.5 scan body. I got a call from milling center and she jumped on team viewer, we did a modify in the order form.. and did an auto redesign and re submitted... I then got a call the next day saying it was still not accepted again we checked the order form and did another auto redesign.. this time it was accepted....now the milling center did do a recent update to my computer and this may be the first case since then... also I just did a re-scan and I believe that it is showing the proper position height of the analog in the model... Genuine Zimmer scan body used, THANKS

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
look at the interface geometry, is it correct ?

sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score
Yes, the designed abutment looks identical. Genuine Zimmer scan body milled through Zimmer Biomet.

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
Let me ask you?, what milling center? Because I had the same issue with Argen more than once, I design 2mm sub gingival and get back at tissue level.

Last edited:
E

EdwardS

Reaction score
As mentioned, its most likely a scanning issue. Make sure the scan body was fully seated and screwed down on the model. The best thing to do is remove the gingiva for the first scan to make sure the scan body is properly seated and scanned. Then for the second scan reinsert gingiva. Regards Ed

sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score
Let me ask you?, what milling center? Because I had the same issue with Argen more than once, I design 2mm sub gingival and get back at tissue level.
Milled through Zimmer Biomet