Ceramill Motion 2 Issues

K

kleypasdds

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm a DDS that enjoys design and milling. I have a 2018 motion 2 with 620 hours on the clock. I recently did the spindle/chuck cleaning on the unit, and in an attempt to clear the maintenance reminder, I ran into an issue. I think I was putting it into service mode when it threw an error. I'm getting an E-0450 (position encoder supervision) on the B-axis. My real issue is that AG support is terribly slow to respond and my original distributor (Esthetic Professionals) no longer carries AG. Curious if anyone has a fix other than flying a tech out to my office?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
no, your real issue is that AG locks up their mill behind these error codes so that only AG knows whats up, even if you had a good reseller their hands would be tied.

if your B axis has an encoder issue you will need to either reset the encoder and recalibrate, change the encoder wire if its broken, or replace the B motor if the encoder is integrated.

so its likely best you just contact AG straight up for a service tech.

Z

ztech

Reaction score
Garland Dental Services also is an authorized repair. They will call you back and possibly diagnose. I have to ask, did you turn off and restart the machine. This will tell you if you need a service call. If it errors again on initial startup, the B axis motor and encoder will likely need replacing.

PRO ARTS DL

PRO ARTS DL

Reaction score
When we had this issue twice in the past for a different axis., the encoder had to be replaced by them.

A

AnAppleaDay

Reaction score
CoolHandLuke basically covered everything, but here’s some additional info.

AG support will be able to log in remotely and use the service menus to calibrate the encoder.
If it needs replacing, the part is not prohibitively expensive, but you’ll have to pay the technician’s travel and time.

If you’re flying in a tech, I would recommend asking AG support which preventative maintenance / replacement can be done at the same time based on your machine’s age and service hours.