Biostar Repair

M

marasy

Reaction score
Is anyone knowledgeable about repairing Biostars, or know someone that I could contact regarding a few questions? Really appreciate any help.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Whats the question? I have one, but never had to buy parts or repair it. Garland might know more.

Garland Dental Services

Garland Dental Services

Sponsors
Reaction score
@marasy - you will need to go through Great Lakes for any parts/repairs. They handle all service for those machines. 800-828-7626

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
@marasy - you will need to go through Great Lakes for any parts/repairs. They handle all service for those machines. 800-828-7626
Hey Garland, just sent a Doc of mine to you to get his lab handpiece fixed yesterday. I'm curious since you all fix a ton of lab handpieces (among other things),what's the best lab handpiece out there currently?

Garland Dental Services

Garland Dental Services

Sponsors
Reaction score
Hi LabGuy, thank you for the referral! What I'd recommend depends on application, but as a general answer:

For an electric (slow speed) handpiece, the Ultimate XL from NSK is probably the best intersection of quality and price. That's what we recommend and sell the most of. Parts are readily available and are not too expensive, and it's a brushless model so it gives you the option of higher RPMs as well as increased torque. If price isn't a consideration, then Kavo, but parts and repairs are considerably more expensive. They've got three solid options for handpieces.

For a brushed handpiece (and if you don't do a lot of heavy grinding, then there's no reason to pay extra for a brushless),the Volvere i7 from NSK is reliable and has good dust seals, and also the UG33 (used to be sold under the Brasseler label but is still available). Those handpieces have universal cords, so you can use them on almost any control box that accepts brushed handpieces.

For high speeds, the Bien Air TD783 (or TD890 for water) has the most robust bearings/higher torque, and seems to stand up better on zirconia. However, you have to remember to lube the turbine, which makes it a no-go for a lot of people. Second up then would be the NSK Presto or Presto Aqua, which have the lube-free bearings that most people seem to prefer. Zirconia is just tough on all these turbines; people tend to press down harder on zirconia for some reason, so there are more early chuck and bearing failures across the board.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Volvere is a great handpiece, the slimmest ive used, mine needs rebuilt.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I wouldnt send it anywhere else, Im using Kavos now and they are nice. Thanks for reminding me that I need to order a dekema element Ive been putting off