Aptitude Test (CAD design)

T

thedrive87

Reaction score
We're re-tooling some employees into CAD design, scanning, etc. as many labs are. I've heard there is an aptitude test out there that originated at Glidewell but haven't had any luck tracking it down. I need to zero in on my most qualified personnel. And short of developing my own test I wondered if anyone knew much about this Glidewell test...? Thank you!

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
yeah, it's called World of Warcraft and macros.

If said employee gets to level 90 and is ranked top 85th% then they are probably going to be fine.

There are all sorts of aptitude tests, but the real one will simply be putting them behind 3Shape and observing how they adapt.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
i had no idea there was such a test.

i also don't play warcraft.

but i taught myself how to use the 3shape program, and over time i've become pretty not bad. at least i think so. and i'd hope my employer also thinks so.

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
yeah Knight, Glidewell, Arrowhead...Bonadent... they all have their own test...or a similar one

I haven't tried it yet.... thinking about applying as a CAD/CAM tech and seeing if they'll run me through it LOL

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
i had no idea there was such a test.

i also don't play warcraft.

but i taught myself how to use the 3shape program, and over time i've become pretty not bad. at least i think so. and i'd hope my employer also thinks so.

btw - because we all have copious amounts of time. You should try World of Warcraft... it's oddly satisfying... i wouldn't say it's good...but you wonder where the last 2000 hours played went when you type in /played ....

True Story.. by all means i was the typical jock/nerd (Asians go figure) .... i tried the closed beta via some friends in Undergrad freshman year..... by Junior Year I had something like 375+days played.... now you're thinking well, that's just a litter over 1 year out of the 3 years.... but realize this...375+ days equals 375 multiplied by 24 hours.... essentially 5% of my entire life was dedicated to this stupid game by then...

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
way too cartoony. i have trouble stomaching even diablo3.

give me Forza Motorsport 4 /5 /horizons any day.

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
Warlords of Draenor supposedly fixed the cartoony appearance. coming out end of this year i think?

I haven't played anything in so long, but supposedly all of the Arkham games were insane... the last high intense graphic game i played was Crysis 1 lol

A

a3dl

Reaction score
give them the wonderlic test and see how they do but just to be fair you should also take it and compare

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
btw - because we all have copious amounts of time. You should try World of Warcraft... it's oddly satisfying... i wouldn't say it's good...but you wonder where the last 2000 hours played went when you type in /played ....

True Story.. by all means i was the typical jock/nerd (Asians go figure) .... i tried the closed beta via some friends in Undergrad freshman year..... by Junior Year I had something like 375+days played.... now you're thinking well, that's just a litter over 1 year out of the 3 years.... but realize this...375+ days equals 375 multiplied by 24 hours.... essentially 5% of my entire life was dedicated to this stupid game by then...

could have swore there was a dweeb icon to award.
My bro-in-law sold his character for close to $1000...you?
I've never played by the way

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
I prefer Call of Duty or Halo! Just me. Always better at the hand/eye and tactical thing! My twitch reaction time is really good. Used to make my brother mad at me so much he quit playing with me. Haha.

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
could have swore there was a dweeb icon to award.
My bro-in-law sold his character for close to $1000...you?
I've never played by the way
I had 3 accounts and actually was in the guild blood legion so they all sold for about $5k each.

I prefer Call of Duty or Halo! Just me. Always better at the hand/eye and tactical thing! My twitch reaction time is really good. Used to make my brother mad at me so much he quit playing with me. Haha.

up to this day i do not feel comfortable with a handheld controller...i prefer mouse and keyboard....

R

RJS8669

Reaction score
Years ago, Jim Glidewell used to give prospective employees a very simple timed, 25-problem math test. He shared it with us, and I used it for a time. I know it sounds strange, but it worked pretty well. We used it as a screening device and I can honestly say anyone who scored above a 16 turned out to be a pretty decent technician. I wish I could share it, but I have long since lost it - more into down-sizing than hiring for the time being...

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
Yes there is a test during an interview at Glidwell...
Test 1-
They give you a picture of an outline of a tooth shape and a pencil. They give you a large model of a molar.
They ask you to draw in the tooth like you see on the model.
Tip-If you use your pencil to create shading in any way at all, they are blown away.
Test 2-
Its a times table containing about 30 multiple choice multiplication problems.
You have to get X out of X correct to pass this test.

That's the test.
It's even harder to get a job at McDonalds....
I worked for Jim Glidwell many many years ago. For 3 years.

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
Yes there is a test during an interview at Glidwell...
Test 1-
They give you a picture of an outline of a tooth shape and a pencil. They give you a large model of a molar.
They ask you to draw in the tooth like you see on the model.
Tip-If you use your pencil to create shading in any way at all, they are blown away.
Test 2-
Its a times table containing about 30 multiple choice multiplication problems.
You have to get X out of X correct to pass this test.

That's the test.
It's even harder to get a job at McDonalds....
I worked for Jim Glidwell many many years ago. For 3 years.

you liking the NYC setting?

J

Jeff Z

Reaction score
Warlords of Draenor supposedly fixed the cartoony appearance. coming out end of this year i think?

I haven't played anything in so long, but supposedly all of the Arkham games were insane... the last high intense graphic game i played was Crysis 1 lol
WoW has gone way downhill since the beginning. I played EQ from day 1 until WoW came out then tried it for a while. Got tired of the whole mmo scene after 15 straight years hah. Hasn't been any good new mmo's since WoW imo anyways, maybe swtor but even then it was ok at best. I am interested to see how the new Elder Scrolls Online comes out. Tried a few Beta's and it seemed pretty decent.

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
you liking the NYC setting?
I remember being a little tween. And thinking how cool it would be to live here. I remember once saying, "Going to NYC is the closest thing to going to Mars. It's a whole nother world." These were my words when I was like 10 years old living in a small town with a population of about 40k...
Then I grew up and never thought about it being a reality, just a fantasy. Then I really grew up and decided I am moving here. It was four years from the day I made the decision that it happened. I moved here on Sept 15, 2012 and am so happy, words cant explain. Sometimes when I am alone, and thinking about stuff, I just start laughing and saying, "I did it." NYC has been really good to me. I have the best job in NYC and have everything I ever wanted.

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
I remember being a little tween. And thinking how cool it would be to live here. I remember once saying, "Going to NYC is the closest thing to going to Mars. It's a whole nother world." These were my words when I was like 10 years old living in a small town with a population of about 40k...
Then I grew up and never thought about it being a reality, just a fantasy. Then I really grew up and decided I am moving here. It was four years from the day I made the decision that it happened. I moved here on Sept 15, 2012 and am so happy, words cant explain. Sometimes when I am alone, and thinking about stuff, I just start laughing and saying, "I did it." NYC has been really good to me. I have the best job in NYC and have everything I ever wanted.

that's awesome!

have everything other than 3Shape and roland mill you mean lol

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
that's awesome!

have everything other than 3Shape and roland mill you mean lol
Yea it would be fun. But I dont think I have time for maintaining and operating such sweetness. Not at this time anyway.
Were getting busy at this point and have work on our benches. It was a long winter, but its go time now.

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
Yea it would be fun. But I dont think I have time for maintaining and operating such sweetness. Not at this time anyway.
Were getting busy at this point and have work on our benches. It was a long winter, but its go time now.

dude, with two of these puppies i'll show you go time.

You should see what we're doing with two work shifts and four :)

H

Hunter Scott

Reaction score
The combination of CAD UI becoming more intuitive and more people using it (SketchUp, Lego has a CAD package now) means that the percentage of people who can use CAD to a certain degree is actually becoming quite significant.