3Shape

shane williams

shane williams

Reaction score
So yesterday on my D700 which we've had for 4 years, my guy who I'm training was scanning and heard a noise; stopped the scan and opened it up. Then it would no longer find home position, and after a day of trying to get answers we finally had 3Shape look at it and determine that the 'liner motor' has worn out. My question is has this happened to anybody else? Did I just work this thing to death, or should this be expected?
Come on 3Shape users, help a brotha out!!!! Thank the big guy in the sky that I purchased my 2nd scanner in May!! Or else I'd be up sh!ts creek with no paddle!!

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
user_name had the same kind of error. loud noise then kaputski.

i myself noticed a noise in my d700 a month ago but proceeded to actually do something before it gets beyond control. just a shot of canned compressed air under the arm at the motor joints and under the rotating platform and the noise has decreased to a dull whirr.

ParkwayDental

ParkwayDental

Reaction score
We just had our D700 go put as well after 4 years. We traded it in for a D900L. It just straight up stopped working man.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Now you have me concerned .Is there a cleaning protocol that we should follow?

I vac mine with a dyson hand held.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
We just had our D700 go put as well after 4 years. We traded it in for a D900L. It just straight up stopped working man.

What would be a fair trade for a D700 to a D900?

ParkwayDental

ParkwayDental

Reaction score
Doesn't matter what you are trading up too for a D700 they give you a $8500 trade in value towards whatever you want.

DentalAxess

DentalAxess

Reaction score
I've seen several scanners having to go back for repair due to an issue with the linear or swing axis. On the other hand, I know that the majority of the scanners do not fail even after being used day in and out for a long time. I guess it's like with a new car, most of them work smoothly but sometimes you are unlucky and a part breaks down rather quickly.

If you own a big lab and your workflow is very dependent on the 3shape scanner it makes sense to include a second one in the workflow, for example the cheaper D500 scanner, like that you have a backup in case one scanner has an issue. Alternatively, ask your 3shape reseller how quickly they can provide you a temporary replacement scanner in case yours needs to go for repair.

Same applies to the 3shape dongle, always have a 2nd (empty) one in your drawer in case the production dongle breaks.

Dominic

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
A friend mentioned taking the case off and lubricating certain areas? He said it made an old one function like brand new again. May want to ask your reseller about this?

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
If this thread doesnt bring *** back nothing will...

Sam-CAP

Sam-CAP

Reaction score
Machines wear out no matter what it is or who makes it. Prepare for downtime and hope your reseller has a loaner scanner available for the repair time. :)

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
A friend mentioned taking the case off and lubricating certain areas? He said it made an old one function like brand new again. May want to ask your reseller about this?
i'm not convinced lubrication helps the kind of motors in these scanners. to keep them dust free would be my two cents. especially fine grained particulate like zirconia dust, scan spray, etc.

shane williams

shane williams

Reaction score
If this thread doesnt bring *** back nothing will...

Yeah that would be great so we can hear him rant and rave about how much better his medits are and how terrible of technicians we all are for having purchased a 3Shape! And how we are all going to hell when we die because we didn't listen to the great and powerful Scott, the Wizard of DLN!

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
let us not speak ill of him lest we in turn become him.

shane williams

shane williams

Reaction score
I was only pointing out, practically verbatim what he would say. I don't think ill of him, I find his contributions very helpful. But he has a way about him that when you read his comments, it's like nails on a chalk board. They drive you crazy.
If I thought ill of him or spoke ill of him I wouldn't have suggested to a friend of mine to contact him about buying a scanner. Which he did over the weekend and told me his conversation with Scott, how he said he's nothing like how he is on the internet.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
i'm not convinced lubrication helps the kind of motors in these scanners. to keep them dust free would be my two cents. especially fine grained particulate like zirconia dust, scan spray, etc.

There is a saying out there!

"A clean machine is a happy machine!"

I'd clean it out once a week if I were you. From all of the

falling stone and scan spray as well as dust, that's the

protocol I'd enforce. As well as collet cleaning and

lubing, once a week!

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
The only thing I meant is that he has ranted about the quality of 3shape scanners, (I own one).. and ive heard a lot of problems with them lately.. after they are a few years old. Anything that costs over $30k should last more than 4 years..