general cam question

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
a web cam in front of the mill? how did you set this up? I never seen this before. Do you have a laptop next to a mill and have an external logitech webcam set up outside the glass door?
Yes, I run vhf mills and on the door there is a round handle, I simply zip ties the cam to the arm and plugged it into the pc that runs the mill. Then I simply log in to that pc and view the cam via the software. Just need to view the milling chamber. I clean the inside of the door before I leave so that the camera has a clear view. Otherwise make a custom stand the cam sits on and place it right I front of the mill, not that hard.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

user name

user name

Reaction score
Not entirely true, wieland Hybrid Select 16 tools, it will use the next tool in line once the life of the first tool is reached, but if the tool breaks it will no put the broken tool away then gran the next good tool and continue. This is mainly based all on the CNC software, and most in the dental field do not have this option. But if the tool does break and the user is connected remotely, they can drop the tool modify the cam tooling and resume with the newer tool location. I have done this many times and I have had a web cam in front of the mill so I can see what exactly is going on so i don't crash the mill.
Why are you breaking so many tools? I had a hiccup and broke one since Ive started.

esamuelr

esamuelr

Reaction score
Not entirely true, wieland Hybrid Select 16 tools, it will use the next tool in line once the life of the first tool is reached, but if the tool breaks it will no put the broken tool away then gran the next good tool and continue. This is mainly based all on the CNC software, and most in the dental field do not have this option. But if the tool does break and the user is connected remotely, they can drop the tool modify the cam tooling and resume with the newer tool location. I have done this many times and I have had a web cam in front of the mill so I can see what exactly is going on so i don't crash the mill.
I just said identify. I did not say replace or use a sister tool. To have that option you need enough tools slots and enough installed tools to run a backup in case of breakage.
You are correct that the CNC software will also determine if this sistsr tool option is available if there is a tool breakage detected.
Thankfully VHF is moving that direction with CNC for duplicate tools and adding features that would allow for tool length monitoring to address long run tool passes at fixed intervals.
I only know of one other CNC softwarr that allows for sister tool options. There may be more but i am not aware of them.

That webcam idea is great. I have a very similar set-up for my machine.

Happy Thanksgiving !

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Why are you breaking so many tools? I had a hiccup and broke one since Ive started.
I'm not. Just stating the way it will work in actuality and not how people think it will or should work. I'm good on my end buddy.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
I just said identify. I did not say replace or use a sister tool. To have that option you need enough tools slots and enough installed tools to run a backup in case of breakage.
You are correct that the CNC software will also determine if this sistsr tool option is available if there is a tool breakage detected.
Thankfully VHF is moving that direction with CNC for duplicate tools and adding features that would allow for tool length monitoring to address long run tool passes at fixed intervals.
I only know of one other CNC softwarr that allows for sister tool options. There may be more but i am not aware of them.

That webcam idea is great. I have a very similar set-up for my machine.

Happy Thanksgiving !

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk
Any mill identifies a broken tool, even the vhf k4, it is all done off tool measurement when picking up the tool and putting it away. There is no greater chance of detection. If the cam stops the mill once it detects the broken tool or not is entirely up to the cnc software. Much older mills and software lack this feature. Most newer mills and cnc software support this feature.

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
@esamuelr 21 th century very simple if broken versus shorter tool switch to sister tool place nr ... and repeat last operation done no mystic. Its a simple if than operation.

Last edited:
Top Bottom