Nobel 2G and Windows 10

Jenners

Jenners

Reaction score
This has been burning in the back of my brain for a while now. I know that the software for 2G wasn't compatible with Windows 10 when it first was released. It's been a year now and the PC that we use for the scanner updated itself a few months ago without prompt. I've read that it has happed before so I held my breath as it updated. The 2G had been working just fine on Windows 10 for a 5 weeks or so before it's first error. I didn't roll it back right away because I figured that Nobel had surely updated their own programs by now to accommodate 10. So, we had an error, rebooted the computer and everything worked great for another month. The error popped up again so we called tech support and they're saying that it's Windows 10 that's creating the problem.... but it's such an intermittent issue that I can't totally believe that.. but I'm not well versed in computers so I also can't argue.

Now I'm faced with reinstalling Windows 7 and the NobelProcera programs after work today.

Does anyone here have any input on this matter? I'm going to put it back to 7 regardless because I don't think we'll get much tech support if we still have 10. I'm looking to learn from this though and make sense of it.

I was told that Nobel has no intention of updating their software to work with 10.

Holy

Holy

Reaction score
they are working on their version of exocad. Even if it supports windows 10, current software is just too much hassle.

S

Scanner Man

Reaction score
This has been burning in the back of my brain for a while now. I know that the software for 2G wasn't compatible with Windows 10 when it first was released. It's been a year now and the PC that we use for the scanner updated itself a few months ago without prompt. I've read that it has happed before so I held my breath as it updated. The 2G had been working just fine on Windows 10 for a 5 weeks or so before it's first error. I didn't roll it back right away because I figured that Nobel had surely updated their own programs by now to accommodate 10. So, we had an error, rebooted the computer and everything worked great for another month. The error popped up again so we called tech support and they're saying that it's Windows 10 that's creating the problem.... but it's such an intermittent issue that I can't totally believe that.. but I'm not well versed in computers so I also can't argue.

Now I'm faced with reinstalling Windows 7 and the NobelProcera programs after work today.

Does anyone here have any input on this matter? I'm going to put it back to 7 regardless because I don't think we'll get much tech support if we still have 10. I'm looking to learn from this though and make sense of it.

I was told that Nobel has no intention of updating their software to work with 10.

Sorry to bring up an old thread. What was the error that you received? If you can send me the error log I can tell you if it's software or driver related.
Look in the "C:\ProgramData\Optimet\Dental Scanner\Sessions" directory for the folder date and time of the error. The error log will be recorded in that folder if it is scanner/hardware related otherwise it is software related.

Jenners

Jenners

Reaction score
Here's part of an error in a folder: I reinstalled Windows 7 on a separate drive so I wouldn't lose any files. What a serious pain!
Exception message:
Motorized Holder Creation FAiled!!
Can't find automatically IBL2403 controller in any of the following COM ports: COM5 COM6

Stack trace:
at Optimet.Hardware.MotoHolderFactory.CreateMHAxis(MotorizedHolderParams initialParameters, ILog logger, IMovementValidator movementValidator, IMotorizedHolderAxis& lift, IMotorizedHolderAxis& tilt, IMotorizedHolderAxis& rotate)
at Optimet.Hardware.MotorizedHolder.CreateAxes()
at Optimet.Hardware.MotorizedHolder.Init()
at Optimet.Hardware.MotorizedHolder.Init(IMotionHandlerMotorizedHolder motionHandler, IHolderCalculationErrorProvider holderCalibrationErrorProvider)
at Optimet.Framework.MotorizedHolderModule.MotorizedHolderModule.InitInternal(ObjectManager context, List`1& descriptionList)
at Optimet.Framework.DataModel.ScannerSystemModuleBase.Init(ObjectManager context, List`1& descriptionList)
at Optimet.Common.System.SystemBuilder`1.<InitModules>b__1(ISystemModule`1 m, List`1 d)
at Optimet.Common.System.SystemBuilder`1.PerformActionOnModules(ActionOnModule action, IList`1 list, ICollection`1 failedList, Dictionary`2 status)

InnerException stack trace:
at Optimet.DentalScanner.IBLUtils.IBLCapabilitiesEmbeded.OpenSerialPortOrAuto()
at Optimet.DentalScanner.IBLUtils.IBL_CapabilitiesSingleAxis.Init()
at Optimet.Hardware.MotoHolderFactory.CreateMHAxis(MotorizedHolderParams initialParameters, ILog logger, IMovementValidator movementValidator, IMotorizedHolderAxis& lift, IMotorizedHolderAxis& tilt, IMotorizedHolderAxis& rotate)
<6/7/2016 13:20:30.855> <Error> StrategyProvider: Found Ilegal Strategy!!
<6/7/2016 13:20:30.855> <Info> Using Actions provider type Optimet.Framework.HeightValidation.HeightValidationHandler+ActionsProviderDefault
<6/7/2016 13:20:30.855> <Info> Using Actions provider type Optimet.Framework.HeightValidation.HeightValidationHandler+ActionsProviderDefault
<6/7/2016 13:20:30.871> <Error> Module MotorizedHolderModule failed to initialize.
<6/7/2016 13:20:30.871> <Error> Exception occured: System.Exception
Source:

S

Scanner Man

Reaction score
Here's part of an error in a folder: I reinstalled Windows 7 on a separate drive so I wouldn't lose any files. What a serious pain!
Exception message:
Motorized Holder Creation FAiled!!
Can't find automatically IBL2403 controller in any of the following COM ports: COM5 COM6

Stack trace:
at Optimet.Hardware.MotorizedHolder.CreateAxes()
at Optimet.Hardware.MotorizedHolder.Init()
at Optimet.Hardware.MotorizedHolder.Init(IMotionHandlerMotorizedHolder motionHandler, IHolderCalculationErrorProvider holderCalibrationErrorProvider)
at Optimet.Framework.MotorizedHolderModule.MotorizedHolderModule.InitInternal(ObjectManager context, List`1& descriptionList)
at Optimet.Framework.DataModel.ScannerSystemModuleBase.Init(ObjectManager context, List`1& descriptionList)
at Optimet.Common.System.SystemBuilder`1.<InitModules>b__1(ISystemModule`1 m, List`1 d)
at Optimet.Common.System.SystemBuilder`1.PerformActionOnModules(ActionOnModule action, IList`1 list, ICollection`1 failedList, Dictionary`2 status)

InnerException stack trace:
at Optimet.DentalScanner.IBLUtils.IBLCapabilitiesEmbeded.OpenSerialPortOrAuto()
at Optimet.DentalScanner.IBLUtils.IBL_CapabilitiesSingleAxis.Init()
<6/7/2016 13:20:30.871> <Error> Module MotorizedHolderModule failed to initialize.
<6/7/2016 13:20:30.871> <Error> Exception occured: System.Exception
Source:

You are having issues with the com port driver communicating to a motion controller for the motorized holder.
Turn on the Scanner. On the win10 pc try updating the Com port drivers by going to Device manager. Under ports search for new drivers online. You must do this for all 4 com ports. FTDI recently released new drivers for WIN10 that fixes some of these communication issues.

Jenners

Jenners

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I wish I had that a few weeks ago...lol.....

Nobel seemed to have an issue with me having windows 10 and wanting to help.

Maybe someday I'll boot to the old drive and try that suggestion.

Thanks!

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Nobel IT team now is almost non existent, there is a reason they are going with EXOCAD :)

As for support with Win10 its just not going to happen with their GUI.

Its also why my Nobel optical scanner just turned into a trade in allowance for a D2000 scanner

Top Bottom