Anyone register for trademark protection?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Found a website called Trademarkia.com that checks to see if your proposal is currently registered in the US, Canada, EU, and more. Of course they want you to pay them big money to do the filing for you, instead of doing it yourself. But it got me thinking about making an application for Trademark registration protection for my labs name. Has anyone else done this? Did you register a tagline or catchphase with it or as a separate application.

"City Speed, Country Service" is what I've been saying on marketing trips.

Does that strike anyone as odd or wrong somehow before I go through with confirming the next print run. Do y'all feel it's meaning is clear? Sometimes these kinds of things sound great to you, but only to you.

I greatly appreciate any input.

G

GarryB

Reaction score
Found a website called Trademarkia.com that checks to see if your proposal is currently registered in the US, Canada, EU, and more. Of course they want you to pay them big money to do the filing for you, instead of doing it yourself. But it got me thinking about making an application for Trademark registration protection for my labs name. Has anyone else done this? Did you register a tagline or catchphase with it or as a separate application.

"City Speed, Country Service" is what I've been saying on marketing trips.

Does that strike anyone as odd or wrong somehow before I go through with confirming the next print run. Do y'all feel it's meaning is clear? Sometimes these kinds of things sound great to you, but only to you.

I greatly appreciate any input.
Is "City Speed, Country Service" your lab name or tag line? if it's your tag line it's catchy which is good.
We trade marked a name for one of our products a few years back and from memory it wasn't that difficult or expensive, I think maybe a couple of hundred pounds. If it's a tag line I have no idea how or even if you could do that.......do Nike have the rights to "just do it"? it would seem crazy if you could legally stop people from using common phrases or would that just stop them using it to marketing a product?
Wow, you can see how this would quickly become a minefield of legality.
I'll follow this thread as Im sure someone on here will have been through it.
Good luck.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Is "City Speed, Country Service" your lab name or tag line? if it's your tag line it's catchy which is good.
We trade marked a name for one of our products a few years back and from memory it wasn't that difficult or expensive, I think maybe a couple of hundred pounds. If it's a tag line I have no idea how or even if you could do that.......do Nike have the rights to "just do it"? it would seem crazy if you could legally stop people from using common phrases or would that just stop them using it to marketing a product?
Wow, you can see how this would quickly become a minefield of legality.
I'll follow this thread as Im sure someone on here will have been through it.
Good luck.

That's my tagline. I think. Glad it sounds good to someone else!

Nike has that phrase registered. It can get touchy fast if someone else "owns" a word combination you're using. Anybody in the US using a Sega Genesis would have been using a MegaDrive like the rest of the world, but someone already had that. Coca-cola still owns "Catch the wave" from their Max Headroom marketing in the 80's. Not sure what they'd do, but it wouldn't be friendly.

Last edited:
Juko

Juko

Reaction score
In the 1950's a lab trademarked their lab name and there was lawsuits up the Supreme Court because the trademarked dental laboratory. Long story short in the United States you can't trademark a lab name and keep others from using it. Two labs. One private trademarked dental laboratory and then after the ruling the gov lab trademarked dental restoration and a couple other words that made them universally used by all. If I remember correctly.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
In the 1950's a lab trademarked their lab name and there was lawsuits up the Supreme Court because the trademarked dental laboratory. Long story short in the United States you can't trademark a lab name and keep others from using it. Two labs. One private trademarked dental laboratory and then after the ruling the gov lab trademarked dental restoration and a couple other words that made them universally used by all. If I remember correctly.

Very interesting. Thank you! I wasn't thinking of having such generic words in my application, and that confirms my belief of what may be turned down for protection. Something ineffectively vague is not on my list.

Do you have any more information so that I could research the case?

G

grantoz

Reaction score
The other thing you must think of is can you afford to defend it if someone is in breach of your trademark anything legal gets expensive.I have trademarked something but my lawyer said if someone breaches be prepared for some serious fees which even if you are in the right you may not get enough back to cover the cost.coke and nike can afford to drag anyone thru court we cant.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
An issue I hadn't fully considered. Thank you. May let it be for awhile and be satisfied with my state preventing another here from using it in a buisness name through their system.

Top Bottom