Porcelain color tagging

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
What are you using to color tag your porcelain? For years I've been using the big tipped Crayola washable markers (Bold version) but the colors tend to fade to quickly especially when I use a wet tray. What lasts longer and is more intense, like those shown below from the GC Initial LiSi manual?

Thanks for your help :)

porc tagging2.PNG porc tagging.PNG

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Thank you, CatamountRob. I thought there may be a thread here somewhere, but my quick forum search didn't pull up anything. I think this post, was what I was looking for, as I've seen some of the gurus at Jensen's Education day use these smaller type of markers that I wasn't familiar with.

Edit: Just ordered a set of the Tombow brushes :)

Last edited:
A

aqdental

Reaction score
What are you using to color tag your porcelain? For years I've been using the big tipped Crayola washable markers (Bold version) but the colors tend to fade to quickly especially when I use a wet tray. What lasts longer and is more intense, like those shown below from the GC Initial LiSi manual?

Thanks for your hel
Lumocolor permanent marker.
View attachment 18407 View attachment 18408

A

aqdental

Reaction score
Thanks, aqdental. I'll see how the Tombow brushes do, then maybe give the Lumocolors a try and compare what works best for me. They say "Permanent", are they water soluble?

http://www.amazon.com/Lumocolor-Permanent-Marker-Fine-Set/dp/B003BLWG7K
You need permanent markers. Don't worry they burnout clean. Oliver Brix recommended them to me years ago during an Empress 2 course (find a bullet tip, no fine tip). I'm not at lab now, in the morning I'll check and let you know exactly what they are.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Thank you for that reassuring follow up info. I'm a fan of Oliver Brix. His book, Fascinating All-Ceramics, is an excellent e.max resource (among other things included in it).

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
By the way, I did find out how they get such intense colors as seen in my 1st post, and that is to use straight food coloring. I could never get that intensity with the Crayola markers or the Tombo Dual Brushes.
It is something where you don't want to drip the color right out of the bottle onto your porcelain, but just touch a spatula tip (or agate "spatula") to the food coloring then to your porcelain and that's all you need..."just a little dab will do ya".

With the Crayola markers, you can take the end caps off, and drip the appropriate colored food coloring into the wick inside (it can take quite a bit),and it will help to intensify the color more from the Crayola tip.

If you use a SmIle Line :) tray, or a Renfert tray, it's going to stain the membrains or the clay surface more intensely than the milder forms of tagging (Crayola, Tombo etc)

brylcreem_zpsv8fikrzj.jpg

G

gallagerdental

Reaction score
Hi guys - just a little twist on this topic. Has anybody figured out a way to add dry powder color to opacious dentin? I use Solera porc. & colors are too faded between dentin & inc. like you, have been using food coloring but thought I could pre -mix. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Good question. I wonder what the manufactures use to make the blues and the reds?

G

gallagerdental

Reaction score
I tried to reach out to Solera but no response. Either through distributer or direct. Thought of calling other Mfgrs. But didn't get around to it yet.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Hi guys - just a little twist on this topic. Has anybody figured out a way to add dry powder color to opacious dentin? I use Solera porc. & colors are too faded between dentin & inc. like you, have been using food coloring but thought I could pre -mix. Any thoughts?

Get some Rit dye and try firing it to see if it burns away?
You need something that burns away completely. I'm not sure how you would be certain that it was all gone?

Last edited:
G

gallagerdental

Reaction score
Good idea. I know a chemist that owns a Dental lab supply co. In my area. When I get a chance , I'm going to call him. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the Rit idea.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Gallager...what neck of the woods are you from, NJ? I know of a same situation of a friend in the Huston area who use to work for Ceramco. I'll let you check into it first and see what you come up with.

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
I've always used food coloring

G

gallagerdental

Reaction score
Southern NJ

G

gallagerdental

Reaction score
Hi Andrew- I use food coloring too, but my opacious porc. (Dentin) is to faded to see difference between inc. & dentin. That's the way it's made. Good stuff, my only complaint.

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
yea, it doesn't stay around long..

I don't think Rit die is a good solution, but I may be wrong.. I use it a lot for epoxy colorant, bone dyeing... I think a lot of it is mineral based, and it does contain carbon oxides