Restorations Du Jour

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
What do you think of this?

6433852820141014223302043.jpg

i think the one lateral is slightly too long. and its adj cuspid is too bulky. otherwise, its alright.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I feel my arthritis acting up just looking at those pics Al.

M

Mohammad Khair

Reaction score
It will be a nightmare lateral movement guidance for the lateral incisors, i guess.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
HI OUR Master

YUU CAN USE CAD/CAM SYSTEM DO THAT , I THINK DESIGN WILL BE BETTER , WHY NOT.

not necessarily. heres why.

1. every ceramist has a method for designing margins and pontics and how much they want cutback (and if they want mamelons or high linguals). what the computer provides may not properly reflect Al's desire for substrate shape. he will need a highly trained designer to walk through the process and allow him to dictate the design parameters mathematically.

2. doing this by himself Al (being a relative novice in CAD) would not likely get the substrate correct straight off the bat. it may take a few tries.

3. after this wax is cast we have no way of knowing how Al finishes his castings. how thick or thin he leaves the margins, whether or not they typically have fit issues... maybe he rethinks the positional accuracy of a canine or lateral after seeing it cast. it happens.

4. if any of this was accurate (the above points i mean) Al will need to communicate these to the outsource center. or if he feels particularly distastefully he might cease all production with that center.

a milling center either needs to be supplied with the designs to manufacture, or paid extra to do the design as well as the cast. this is the service i provide. complete computer design to each angle's mathematical accuracy, and complete post processing. send me a scan and i do design as well as cast and post process.

the best part is you get to dictate the design to whatever parameter is most important.

people, CADCAM is not about generating chunks of metal or porcelain for you to finish with your handpieces. it is about generating a precision object requiring no finishing whatsoever. a lot of "very fast turnaround" labs overseas don't understand or care about that. they use CADCAM to generate quick and simple things that have not properly been thought through and hope the speedy turnaround drives the generation of product and money.

turnaround is nothing if it isn't correct. after all CAD is a tool used to create. it needs a proper operator to use the tool. not everyone can be this.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
just out of curiosity,

how hard would it be to superimpose an image (oh.... like a logo for example) over that name in the top left corner?:rolleyes:

Toto

Toto

Reaction score
this particular one will be printed and pressed. the very tight margin makes it hard to evaluate as a model-free so we are printing that too, otherwise this would be model free.
Forgive my ignorance CoolHandLuke - you mean you can send crowns/veneers out without a model to check contacts etc? Some Dr's are a stickler for broad contact areas that I have to work at (with a solid model) to satisfy. Have worked with the Procera scanners at previous lab and would love to get a 3 shape or exocad now but thought the- making of the models set up would involve great cost?

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
just out of curiosity,

how hard would it be to superimpose an image (oh.... like a logo for example) over that name in the top left corner?:rolleyes:
Don't understand what your getting at ?

I Don't do it to try to protect them. Never have. Be silly to try with a signature, could just crop it out.

I have hundreds of pics floating around and get a lot of inquires from Drs wondering if I did them. Makes it easier for them to find me if they want.
BUT I hide from most Drs .

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Why you think a lab or tech shouldn't put their name on their work ?

I would love to see more labs take enough pride in what they produce.

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
Good answer Al. There's no lock a determined thief can't unlock given the time and tools. Your work speaks for itself and that seems to be enough. Thanks for continuing to post excellent photos!

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Don't understand what your getting at ?

I Don't do it to try to protect them. Never have. Be silly to try with a signature, could just crop it out.

I have hundreds of pics floating around and get a lot of inquires from Drs wondering if I did them. Makes it easier for them to find me if they want.
BUT I hide from most Drs .

just kidding Al,

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
Al,

I love your work man! You do some really amazing work! True Artist!

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
rkm, of course we know YOU won't steal Al's images.
I wasn't implying any such thing.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance CoolHandLuke - you mean you can send crowns/veneers out without a model to check contacts etc? Some Dr's are a stickler for broad contact areas that I have to work at (with a solid model) to satisfy. Have worked with the Procera scanners at previous lab and would love to get a 3 shape or exocad now but thought the- making of the models set up would involve great cost?
with several of our docs we can do model-free work if we remember to enforce their preferences during the design. that, and a keen understanding of how the mill and printer are finished beyond the next stage, means i can work backwards from a finished stage to one where i know what the machine will make and i know what areas are going to be trimmed.

it is very simple to go model-free but at the same time it can be painstaking. sometimes (as in the above example) its just not going to happen.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
Luke,

Just set them up under your Docs on 3Shape. Then you can save materials and materials preferences there. Once you have, use the drop down menu on the order form to select that doc. For some reason, I may think you already know this, but some others may not know. It may take a lot of work up front, but I could see the huge benefit it would have in the future. Custom for every Dr.!

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Diagnostic wax up
For the Dr I put the patients name on it for him to present to the patient, without my name.
Big tissue defect.

IMG_8975a - Copy.jpg

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
The Dr should prep 6 and let you fix that one too! Looks rotated too much compared to your beautiful 11.