Has anyone try Ray Foster MTD1 Dry Model Trimmer

L

luckenny

Reaction score
Does anyone try Ray Foster MTD1 Dry Model Trimmer? How is it? compare water trimmer?

Getoothachopper

Getoothachopper

Reaction score
Iv'e been using the MDT2 now for 15 years . Love it , no mess down the sink:rolleyes: . I used to use the diamond disks but they are expensive & really don't work as well as the 'coated abrasive PSA discs ' course grit. They come in packs of six ( very reasonable cost) & stick onto the plastic wheel . (it's a hastle removing the old one though) , they stick like crazy .As long as the models are not wet the wheel never clogs up . Other than that the unit is bomb proof ,would never go back to water .

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Iv'e been using the MDT2 now for 15 years . Love it , no mess down the sink:rolleyes: . I used to use the diamond disks but they are expensive & really don't work as well as the 'coated abrasive PSA discs ' course grit. They come in packs of six ( very reasonable cost) & stick onto the plastic wheel . (it's a hastle removing the old one though) , they stick like crazy .As long as the models are not wet the wheel never clogs up . Other than that the unit is bomb proof ,would never go back to water .
Do you have to use a model dryer to have them dry enough to trim without clogging?

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Are dry trimmers pretty loud compared to a wet trimmer?

Getoothachopper

Getoothachopper

Reaction score
Are dry trimmers pretty loud compared to a wet trimmer?
I really haven't noticed , Maybe a little . It's been a long time since iv'e used a wet trimmer & my hearings not what it used to be ,lol

Getoothachopper

Getoothachopper

Reaction score
If I remember to bring my camera in tomorrow I will shoot some video and post it :)

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Get a good suction unit with a good micron or hepa filter, because they make a mess. The renfert model is much nicer and you can use dry or wet, so if you find out you dont want dust everywhere you can convert it. If you use it a lot its worth the money. I might turn mine on once a month...

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
The suction will make it louder than a wet trimmer. If you trim a lot of models, I wouldnt use a dry trimmer. The diamond disks are really really expensive and if you grind stone that isnt dry, it cakes it up. (now i read thats been mentioned above)

Getoothachopper

Getoothachopper

Reaction score
Get a good suction unit with a good micron or hepa filter, because they make a mess. The renfert model is much nicer and you can use dry or wet, so if you find out you dont want dust everywhere you can convert it. If you use it a lot its worth the money. I might turn mine on once a month...
To be honest mine makes no mess what so ever . Saying that I do have it hooked up to a Big Zubler FZ2 vac with reverse compressed air filter cleaning into a big draw at the bottom . This makes it very easy to empty . For years I used renfert stand alone canister vac's and they would fill up quickly and as affinity said would be messy to change. It was my second most hated job next to the plaster trap :(

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
I love mine. I got it from Affinity's Mom! For reals, I got it from his Mom

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
A communicable issue?

X

XxJamesAxX

Reaction score
Here is a quick video of the Ray Foster model grinder iv'e thrown up on my youtube channel for a few days .

Thanks for posting, I will be copying this set up very soon. Soon as my lab gets put back together from the water line bursting on my wet trimmer in the middle of the night.... [emoji15].

Yup, we forgot to turn the main water supply off one night and at some point the water line going to the wet trimmer split and flooded the lab. $20k worth of damage done by a $3 water line....

No more wet trimmers for us....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Here is a quick video of the Ray Foster model grinder iv'e thrown up on my youtube channel for a few days .

Thanks for video, chopper. With the coated abrasive disc you use, it's not very loud, compared to my friends diamond disc dry trimmer.
May I suggest you get that sucker bolted down though? ;)

Very nice looking lab :)

Getoothachopper

Getoothachopper

Reaction score
Thanks for video, chopper. With the coated abrasive disc you use, it's not very loud, compared to my friends diamond disc dry trimmer.
May I suggest you get that sucker bolted down though? ;)

Very nice looking lab :)
I would love to have it Bolted down , but being in the witness protection program I need to be able to move at a moments notice :cool:
Scotland-yard.jpg