Chalky surface of printed models

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
I got these models from Argen and noticed that there seemed to be a chalky substance on the surface of them. I've gotten other printed models that were smooth and glossy. What causes this? You can kind of scratch this and rub debris off of the model. Is this typical of Argen models? You can see that it is a different texture where it is ditched.

IMG_1168.JPG

IMG_1169.JPG

IMG_1171.JPG

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Awesome resolution...o_O

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
low res saves print time, makes models faster, makes money faster, LOW RES BABY YEAH!

no srsly thats probably what happened.

Adigitalsmile

Adigitalsmile

Reaction score
They use the 3dsystems for the model printing it could be the way it is processed and cleaned. Has nothing to do with resolution. Could be that they are bleaching the models also to give a white appearance?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
my advice is to send them these photos and lodge a complaint. they will in all likelyhood make you right.

virtually anything looks better. even my wacky Objet models look better.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
Why do you even need models? Tell you what....give me the money you spend on models all year and I will

figure out settings needed to go model-less! :D

kristian

kristian

Reaction score
That's what all our Argen models looked like.

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
Why do you even need models? Tell you what....give me the money you spend on models all year and I will

figure out settings needed to go model-less! :D

I like having them as a physical reference to check occlusion and contacts. It allows me to pinpoint where a problem might be before the case is delivered. For example, making sure the glaze isn't causing tight contacts. Or the crown may need a slight internal adjustment to seat. There are a lot of variables to look at. I guess the model is my security blanket. Afraid

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
I like having them as a physical reference to check occlusion and contacts. It allows me to pinpoint where a problem might be before the case is delivered. For example, making sure the glaze isn't causing tight contacts. Or the crown may need a slight internal adjustment to seat. There are a lot of variables to look at. I guess the model is my security blanket. Afraid
I have a client with an IO scanner that still takes a regular impression after scanning for his security blanket. Old school habits are hard to break for some I guess.Hmmmm2

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score

Sometimes using a model has it's advantages.

DSC_0246_zpskuol91fq.jpg

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
To me they look like they are milled and the white powder is slurry that has dried on them, just saying

Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
3D systems printed models get coated after the fact. They print clear then the powder is applied...

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
3D systems printed models get coated after the fact. They print clear then the powder is applied...

The resolution on the model print is not dense. So, when you manufacture these with large layers, this is the look you get.

This is all manufactured out of one material and support material.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score

Spend some time fine tuning the settings and you'll never have to have them printed again. Have each Dr.'s settings

saved in 3Shape and all you have to do is select them from the drop down and bam...their settings are loaded when

you design. All the work is done up front and then it just flies by.

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
Spend some time fine tuning the settings and you'll never have to have them printed again. Have each Dr.'s settings

saved in 3Shape and all you have to do is select them from the drop down and bam...their settings are loaded when

you design. All the work is done up front and then it just flies by.

But...I've had my blanket for soooo long. I like your idea and will try to find the time to give it a shot. At this point in time, I am trying to determine whose models are the most accurate...Argen or Itero. I just found that on 1 case, the crown goes down nicely on the Itero model but not on the Argen.
So I am going to see what the Doc observes at seating time. It may very well be that the digital file alone is more accurate to work from instead of guessing which model is.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
. It may very well be that the digital file alone is more accurate to work from instead of guessing which model is.
You are eliminating the variables of the printer. Done thousands of single crowns without models.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
But...I've had my blanket for soooo long. I like your idea and will try to find the time to give it a shot. At this point in time, I am trying to determine whose models are the most accurate...Argen or Itero. I just found that on 1 case, the crown goes down nicely on the Itero model but not on the Argen.
So I am going to see what the Doc observes at seating time. It may very well be that the digital file alone is more accurate to work from instead of guessing which model is.

If you're using the same settings on the order form to send to both places, then yes...you're going to have

different fits. Argen prints their models while iTero's are milled out. Can't compare the two since they're made

on two completely different machines. Comparing apples and grapes here.