Renishaw Laser tool measurement on my HAAS

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
We are ditching the Renishaw contact, length-only measurement system on our HAAS mills, and adding a custom made Laser tool presetter from Renishaw. I had Renishaw make me a small unit for our little Dental tools. Took them a Month to make for me.

It can measure Two different lengths and Two different diameter for crazy geometry tools.

<1um accuracy!

I am programming my HAAS to auto-compensate for smaller or larger tools than what we call for in the CAM.

This is perfect for diamonds milling Glass-Ceramics, and of course for Implants and bars.

Now we can change tools and tool manufactures without spending hours measuring to dial-in each stupid little tool to the single micron.

YEAH!!

Eat my shorts B&D Dental! :p
My mills are way more accurate than yours and much more flexible due to my fixture designs.

Getting rid of the table mounted Black probe as seen in this pic..
Mohammad, please resist the urge to post in this thread.
It is over your head! LOL :D

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
49856466.jpg

Um-K?

M

Mohammad Khair

Reaction score
We are ditching the Renishaw contact, length-only measurement system on our HAAS mills, and adding a custom made Laser tool presetter from Renishaw. I had Renishaw make me a small unit for our little Dental tools. Took them a Month to make for me.

It can measure Two different lengths and Two different diameter for crazy geometry tools.

<1um accuracy!

I am programming my HAAS to auto-compensate for smaller or larger tools than what we call for in the CAM.

This is perfect for diamonds milling Glass-Ceramics, and of course for Implants and bars.

Now we can change tools and tool manufactures without spending hours measuring to dial-in each stupid little tool to the single micron.

YEAH!!

Eat my shorts B&D Dental! :p
My mills are way more accurate than yours and much more flexible due to my fixture designs.

Getting rid of the table mounted Black probe as seen in this pic..
Mohammad, please resist the urge to post in this thread.
It is over your head! LOL :D

:D:D:D:D:D:D,, what an ugly change..... give back those laser stuff and get back to 4 axis milling. BangheadBangheadBanghead

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
LOL, What?

How would I mill Titanium bars, screw-retained bridges, and abutments with a 4 axis?

Ugly change? Man, we are going to have a really hard time getting along Mr Khair.

I have forgotten 10x more than what you think know about CAD/CAM.

It's pretty funny to me.

Non-Contact Laser tool measurement systems are only found on the Best CNC machines in the World dumb-a55.

It is very very accurate. This is not a 3d scanner, which I do not prefer Laser.

For that, I go to Structured-Light of course. But for measuring tools while they are spinning.....LASER is King!

You really know nothing at all. Mikron, DMG, Roeders, etc all use this type of measurement.

It is impossible to measure Two different diameters of a tool and compensate using anything else!

So, What do you suggest? (Why am I even asking this guy? :rolleyes:)

I have PLENTY of Industrial 4-axis CNC mills. They are boring and simple.

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
Hi Scotty nice tool if i understand it right it measures the the tools for example before the mill starts with 1 mm diamond and checks the diameter and auto compensates the tool path in the cnc controller or check diameter every 10 minutes if necessary. Is their a limit in compensation and how much cost it. Which command is it in the cam or is it only part off the cnc controller.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
It is a function of the CNC controller. Not the CAM.

I have to make the Macros and program the CNC mill.

Slightly more advanced than simple tool-length measurement.

Same size part will be cut, even if tool is +/- size.

Cool, eh?

Helps for Torus shape tools to measure where the radius starts, and the overall diameter.

user name

user name

Reaction score
That sounds bad-a$$ to me, but I dont understand how it can calculate with sub-micron accuracy when a laser in a scanner isnt doing that accurate?

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Lasers are fantastic for the profile (silhouette or fringe) of a shape.

This is more like 2D scanning, NOT 3d scanning. I want a 2d measurement only (Width) of a spinnig object. (the tool of course)

Lasers are not so good at the data in the middle of an object, unlike structured-light.

That is the difference.

Lasers are good at Point-to-Point measurements. Like distance and width from Point a to point b.

Two Dimensional.

Last edited:
NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Does your software auto correct as the dimensions change?

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Of course! That's the whole point.

So, if tool is grabbed by spindle a little (2um) off-center, the probe will spin the tool and measure while spinning, and the CNC Controller will adjust for the new diameter of the tool on-the-fly.

We specify the desired tool diameter in CNC controller (matching our CAM's definition of tool),and software will measure and correct with new coordinates as it cuts.

Re-writing the G-code and entire milling program.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
So in a dental setting what will be the end results as it relates to precision over what you are currently using? I thought your system was already super accurate will there be a a real world noticeable change? Or is it only going to be able to keep SIMILAR accuracy as the tool wears?

I love precision, but I am a businessman and wonder if there a diminishing return on investment if the end product is not drastically improved?

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
You need something to measure a tool, no?

Skipping the length only probe and going to this setup is not that much more if you are building a mill yourself. Just a few thousand more than a length only probe.

The tiny tools (0.3mm) for some interface get messed up by touch-probe imo. Non-contact is safer and more accurate.

To understand how it saves time, makes more accurate parts, and makes money..... I guess you would need some experience cutting Ti interfaces?

Currently, we have to use same tool manufacture and order lots of tools at Once. We work out the CAM for each type of finishing tool more or less manually to the micron for each batch of tools when cutting interface. The CNC mill may have slight variation each time it grabs a tool. Not as much as you mills, but still it is not always the same.

Industrial tool-holders really are necessary for Ti interfaces, but they are not perfect. Still could have run-out and even if we measure this it could be different run-out the next time spindle grabs that tool.

It is not that slow to manually measure and adjust, but still it could be automated and more precise.

We need Interface to fit perfectly, no matter what tool we use. Sometimes, we mill interface too large on purpose, and have a series of quick milling operations to whittle it down until perfect fit. We go into mill with OEM analog and check the fit before removing from fixture.

Automation is fantastic! I go back to sleep.

After HAAS #3, I add Robot loader/unloader.

BDDS

BDDS

Reaction score
Seems like a great idea when you can afford it. The ability to test/check bur info without contact, and also be able to utilize burs across the board without worry. I think I understand, and seems like a wise long term decision? Reminds me a little of the comparison between single stock milling and multiple puck holders, more of a production/upgrade than product improvement. I don't love when our machine stops, and goes back to do the contact check. If you're passing through a laser on your way back to the tool holder and it can verify the needed info "on the way", pretty cool.
Am I close?

M

Mohammad Khair

Reaction score
i don't need it i feel my mill micron by micron, it is simply a love story.:p:p
and to touch is always more exiting than seeing.Five
the company give me a calibrating metal blank with holes along with the machine but i never use it, its always accurate.:D

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
ok, thanks for sharing.

You do have a nice sense of humor.

Maybe there is hope for you after all?

I calibrate and build my own mills. Do you want me to teach you how to actually calibrate a 5-axis mill? The right way!

Nobody helps me. You will need much more than a piece of metal with holes.

I have touched every single part of most all equipment in my facility.

I understand the parts, service the parts, and stock my own replacement parts as well.

You ever hooked up a PC to your Spindle controllers? To log the data and make adjustments?

Yeah.....it's kinda like that in my world.

M

Mohammad Khair

Reaction score
ok, thanks for sharing.

You do have a nice sense of humor.

Maybe there is hope for you after all?

I calibrate and build my own mills. Do you want me to teach you how to actually calibrate a 5-axis mill? The right way!

Nobody helps me. You will need much more than a piece of metal with holes.

I have touched every single part of most all equipment in my facility.

I understand the parts, service the parts, and stock my own replacement parts as well.

You ever hooked up a PC to your Spindle controllers? To log the data and make adjustments?

Yeah.....it's kinda like that in my world.

a man can always make a machine, the machine will never make a man.
The boss Mohammad Khair :)

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Off the subject but I read that they are going to make a sequel to blade runner..... Finally!....

Top Bottom