ZirPress for Thin Veneers

McTeeth

McTeeth

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have a couple thin veneer cases coming up. There will be 1-2mm "exposed" incisal edge above the tooth prep. Has anyone tried doing thin veneers w/ ZirPress? Any feedback? Stump shade is not an issue

Thx,

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Why Zirpress and not something more suitable for veneers?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
because they are lying around collecting dust like mine.

I've thought about using them for veneers but I still prefer refractory.

McTeeth

McTeeth

Reaction score

Dentist was discussing feldspathic veneers. So i thought this might be a middle ground, I looked in the ZirPress manual and saw that the ZirPress is indicated for veneers.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Dentist was discussing feldspathic veneers. So i thought this might be a middle ground, I looked in the ZirPress manual and saw that the ZirPress is indicated for veneers.
nice,you read the manual.
obviously we didn't :rolleyes:

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Can zirpress be etched and bonded? If the Dr is willing to do feldspathic, and core shade isn't a concern, go with emax MT and leave the length of inc core you need for strength, and go from there as far as layering inc?

Last edited:
user name

user name

Reaction score
Ive used them. Its been a long while back.

I never liked e.max LD, but now I think Id go with LiSi and layer.

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
ZirPress is definitely an option, but as others have said, I'd personally go with the e.maxPress MT, or Empress Esthetic.

Whichever you choose, all can be etched with IPS Ceramic Etching Gel, just check the IFU for the proper etch times.

McTeeth

McTeeth

Reaction score
Can zirpress be etched and bonded? If the Dr is willing to do feldspathic, and core shade isn't a concern, go with emax MT and leave the length of inc core you need for strength, and go from there as far as layering inc?
Pretty sure you can etch/bond ZirPress since its glass. But your suggestion (MT) is what I am probably going with for the reason you stated...strength

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Pretty sure you can etch/bond ZirPress since its glass. But your suggestion (MT) is what I am probably going with for the reason you stated...strength
are just changing color or adding to the existing shape of the teeth?

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I believe ZirPress needs a substrate (like zirconium) to be stable...you can try it, but you will find that it will distort!!! Ask me how I know :)

Last edited:
user name

user name

Reaction score
Another one I like is Jensen Authentic. Many more choices of opacity and shade.

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
I believe ZirPress needs a substrate (like zirconium) to be stable...you can try it, but you will find that it will distort!!! Ask me how I know :)

Yeah, not my first choice, but shouldn't distort if you use Ivocolor or e.max ceram stains.

McTeeth

McTeeth

Reaction score
ZirPress is definitely an option, but as others have said, I'd personally go with the e.maxPress MT, or Empress Esthetic.

Whichever you choose, all can be etched with IPS Ceramic Etching Gel, just check the IFU for the proper etch times.
I don't have any 1st hand experience with Empress, before my time Laugh. I didn't even know that was still available!

Can I assume (and sorry for this world salad) you would choose MT over EE due to the additional strength with MT, even tho EE "might" be more esthetic than MT, the slight advantage in esthetic of EE is barely noticeable, you might as well go with the added strength?

Last edited:
Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
I don't have any 1st hand experience with Empress, before my time Laugh. I didn't even know that was still available!

Can I assume (and sorry for this world salad) you would choose MT over EE due to the additional strength with MT, even tho EE "might" be more esthetic than MT, the slight advantage in esthetic of EE is barely noticeable, you might as well go with the added strength?

Still very popular and my first choice for veneers.

Only advantage MT has over EE is the strength, and depending on the design, I may not need the extra strength. And onced bonded it is almost a wash for strength in veneers.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

McTeeth

McTeeth

Reaction score
Still very popular and my first choice for veneers.

Only advantage MT has over EE is the strength, and depending on the design, I may not need the extra strength. And onced bonded it is almost a wash for strength in veneers.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Would "exposed" incisal edges (1-2mm above tooth prep) be of any concern? Not sure what protrusion looks like yet as cases havn't arrived.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Mostly just curious
Nothing wrong with getting other opinions.

I've done a ton of veneers(refractory) and if I never see another one that's fine with me. They can be the most beautiful restorations we can do, but sheesh a lot of work and if something goes awry......start again. Pressing emax cores is easier, but still a p.i.t.a. I'll leave that for the young bucks with something to prove.