ZirkonZahn vs imes

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
So the time has come to really put some finality on our addition of a new mill for the lab.

our criteria is as follows:
-the ability to mill metal (ti abutments maybe, bars, and mainly RPD frames)
-far better quality and an update in technology on the CAM side
-ease of use and maintenance
-availability of parts and ongoing tech support/service
-and i will say again, support and service!!!

With those mentioned we have narrowed our search to a couple mills.
1. imes 350i pro+ with loader (honestly the loader isnt needed at this stage but it would be handy to have as growth is sustained)
2. ZirkonZahn M2 wet heavy teleskoper

Also of note, if we go the M2 route we will probably get two M2s and utilize one for wet/metal milling and one for dry milling and the cost is basically the same as purchasing one single imes 350. additionally support for the ZZ mills are a short drive away vs the other side of the country for us. ie i can go break knee caps if needed LOL (or spend a day to pick up parts or bringing the mill for service)

this is one heck of a big decision for our little lab and i would love to get user insight from all you wonderful and wacky teeth people. there is a host more in consideration here, but these are the nuts and bolts of it. weigh in please!

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
i should note that we could also go for a ZirkonZahn M2 dual which will serve the purpose of having a wet and dry chamber but limits us with 1 spindle and milling just 1 side at a time. i would prefer having a new dry mill and a wet mill, but its an option

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
i should note that we could also go for a ZirkonZahn M2 dual which will serve the purpose of having a wet and dry chamber but limits us with 1 spindle and milling just 1 side at a time. i would prefer having a new dry mill and a wet mill, but its an option
Are you invested in ZZ already? If not, calculate that factor in, too...

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
So the time has come to really put some finality on our addition of a new mill for the lab.

our criteria is as follows:
-the ability to mill metal (ti abutments maybe, bars, and mainly RPD frames)
-far better quality and an update in technology on the CAM side
-ease of use and maintenance
-availability of parts and ongoing tech support/service
-and i will say again, support and service!!!

With those mentioned we have narrowed our search to a couple mills.
1. imes 350i pro+ with loader (honestly the loader isnt needed at this stage but it would be handy to have as growth is sustained)
2. ZirkonZahn M2 wet heavy teleskoper

Also of note, if we go the M2 route we will probably get two M2s and utilize one for wet/metal milling and one for dry milling and the cost is basically the same as purchasing one single imes 350. additionally support for the ZZ mills are a short drive away vs the other side of the country for us. ie i can go break knee caps if needed LOL (or spend a day to pick up parts or bringing the mill for service)

this is one heck of a big decision for our little lab and i would love to get user insight from all you wonderful and wacky teeth people. there is a host more in consideration here, but these are the nuts and bolts of it. weigh in please!
Check out Redon GTR, my friend and Savior for years, Jason Frazer highly recommends this. He is The best in North America at servicing mills and is alone in his abilities as Number One. Take note here.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
or, as you have been asking me to help you with templates, get a versamill and hyperdent, and we can finally do some work together above board.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
or, as you have been asking me to help you with templates, get a versamill and hyperdent, and we can finally do some work together above board.
versamill was in the mix in the beginning so don't think i didn't consider it!

we will probably go the hyperdent route if we get the imes. (and im old so i forget which templates i was asking about, but i do recall us talking about them LOL)

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Check out Redon GTR, my friend and Savior for years, Jason Frazer highly recommends this. He is The best in North America at servicing mills and is alone in his abilities as Number One. Take note here.
i will take a look at them

do you have one? one of the big decision factors is finding labs that can give me honest, real-life feedback on their mills. that is partly how ive gotten the list to where it is.

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
i will take a look at them

do you have one? one of the big decision factors is finding labs that can give me honest, real-life feedback on their mills. that is partly how ive gotten the list to where it is.
Biggest thing here is support, Jason is Amazing and Always there. We bought our K5 from Talladium where Jason was working at the time back in 2016. We just bought another last month and know always Total support is a phone call away. The Redon can do everything, was beyond our present needs. But compared to what you were looking at I would definitely look at Redon w Jason, no brainer he is just that good, period.
Our mill had a couple of hiccups a week before the Covid shutdown and during that time, remote with Jason we rebuilt our mill, switches and everything by ourselves with excellent guidance remotely. You can't beat that ever And, And, there are literally no one else who knows how to correctly do the above. It's tricky and that knowledge is King. Mill servicing is just a $hit Show.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Biggest thing here is support, Jason is Amazing and Always there. We bought our K5 from Talladium where Jason was working at the time back in 2016. We just bought another last month and know always Total support is a phone call away. The Redon can do everything, was beyond our present needs. But compared to what you were looking at I would definitely look at Redon w Jason, no brainer he is just that good, period.
Our mill had a couple of hiccups a week before the Covid shutdown and during that time, remote with Jason we rebuilt our mill, switches and everything by ourselves with excellent guidance remotely. You can't beat that ever And, And, there are literally no one else who knows how to correctly do the above. It's tricky and that knowledge is King. Mill servicing is just a $hit Show.
well i will give them some in depth reviewing then! thanks for the insight. support is key with any system

tehnik

tehnik

Reaction score
Sorry for OT, but what nesting software is Redon using? Custom or millbox/hyperdent/etc. I really like the Best Mill conception.... although I would never use one changer with one wet and one dry machine...

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Sorry for OT, but what nesting software is Redon using? Custom or millbox/hyperdent/etc. I really like the Best Mill conception.... although I would never use one changer with one wet and one dry machine...
good question!

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
where is Jason based out of? i know you said north america, but east/west coast?
having tech support on the same time zone is always helpful. especially with a machine that will be new.
that best mill is a neat design being able to make it a dual like the ZZ dual mills. adds a bunch of extra flexibility when milling wet and dry

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
where is Jason based out of? i know you said north america, but east/west coast?
having tech support on the same time zone is always helpful. especially with a machine that will be new.
that best mill is a neat design being able to make it a dual like the ZZ dual mills. adds a bunch of extra flexibility when milling wet and dry
He lives in California but often works out of Florida as well. All of our assistance was via phone and texts and as well TeamViewer. Worked out perfectly.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
He lives in California but often works out of Florida as well. All of our assistance was via phone and texts and as well TeamViewer. Worked out perfectly.
okay, good to know
thanks!

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
bob you know what im going g to say
yes, i do lol
i know where you stand and i appreciate all the insight you have given! down to the wire on decision making here and just covering all my bases

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
i myself work from home in Saskatoon and cover the entire USA and Canada with support. only thing i can't do yet is go onsite in the USA.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
i myself work from home in Saskatoon and cover the entire USA and Canada with support. only thing i can't do yet is go onsite in the USA.
are you working toward that?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
yes, though it will take a while to get through the legal system.

Top Bottom