Zirkonazhn M 5 milling machine

Y

YMS96

Reaction score
Don't forget the zirconzahn machine only accepts 95mm (I think? I forget the size but I know it's odd) discs, meaning you will need to buy zirconia from them.

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
Don't forget the zirconzahn machine only accepts 95mm (I think? I forget the size but I know it's odd) discs, meaning you will need to buy zirconia from them.

They told me it is a closed system and you have to use their blanks and tools .

DevonR

DevonR

Reaction score
OKay, gotta chime in here and give my two sense. I've had my eye on this machine for quite some time. WE currently have their manual mill system.. it's fantastic, just labour instensive.

I've gone to see the m5 in action. It is awesome. Very precise! The fit is fantastic. It mills down to a .5mm burr which helps with those terrible preps docs give us. When you do a full contour prettau case and select 'fine' for the milling process, it comes out soooo smoooth. You don't see any millings lines.

I don't see a problem with purchasing pucks from zirkonzahn as they are resonable priced when compared to the other big companies out there (btw, i'm pretty much against aftermarket pucks, don't trust their zirconia... it's cheaper for a reason... ever notice how soft it is to grind the stuff?)

As for the metal milling part. Unless you are looking to pump a tonne of metal cases at the machine, i think it would do the trick for ya. But it certainly wouldn't be a metal production machine persay.

Finally, the machine uses the ExoCAD software which has an add on module to import STL files... so it's partially open

Cheers, hope that helps.

d.

A

a88nn

Reaction score
Zirkonzahn is closed system. Each of zirconia blank has its own barcode. Only Zirkonzahn tools are accepted by machine. There is no possibility to mill in chinese blocks. In addition, you have to change the tools very often. Otherwise your project may be inaccurate.

Y

YMS96

Reaction score
I've heard it's a good mill but a few things concern me.

1) the size, it's humongous and why does it have so many 'spindles' [look more like retrofitted micro motors]? Seems way too overkill.
2) closed. You're forced to buy their consumables, which to me is unacceptable.
3) Price. I think the retail on this is like 60 ish, or so I heard, and for a zirconia/wax mill you can get something just as good for way less. If it did metal then it would be a different story.

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
OKay, gotta chime in here and give my two sense. I've had my eye on this machine for quite some time. WE currently have their manual mill system.. it's fantastic, just labour instensive.

I've gone to see the m5 in action. It is awesome. Very precise! The fit is fantastic. It mills down to a .5mm burr which helps with those terrible preps docs give us. When you do a full contour prettau case and select 'fine' for the milling process, it comes out soooo smoooth. You don't see any millings lines.

I don't see a problem with purchasing pucks from zirkonzahn as they are resonable priced when compared to the other big companies out there (btw, i'm pretty much against aftermarket pucks, don't trust their zirconia... it's cheaper for a reason... ever notice how soft it is to grind the stuff?)

As for the metal milling part. Unless you are looking to pump a tonne of metal cases at the machine, i think it would do the trick for ya. But it certainly wouldn't be a metal production machine persay.

Finally, the machine uses the ExoCAD software which has an add on module to import STL files... so it's partially open

Cheers, hope that helps.

d.

Thank you for the reply ! I only want to mill in metal some big cases , not my whole production . Using zirkonzahn's blanks isn't bad , after all these years I think they are considered as a quality material . I have a dental wings scanner and they told it is compatiblle with stl files with the right module so no problem there . Thanks again !

Y

YMS96

Reaction score
I spoke to the Zirconzahn reps at the dloac show last week and they told me it does not mill metal. They had no metal samples at the booth (had a cool wooden one though, lol) so I doubt you would be able to mill ANY metal at all with it.

Y

YMS96

Reaction score
coming soon. How efficient is dry milling metal?????

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
coming soon. How efficient is dry milling metal?????

Don't know how efficient dry milling is . Do you need wet milling for CoCr as you need it for Ti or glass ceramics ?

M

Michael C Sweglar

Reaction score
I have the M5 ....I wish I would not have bought it ...the fits are OK, but I think they need to change there milling strategy...they need to use the .5 burr on inside of coping instead of the 1. Plus the biggest problem is that they do not have a manual that comes with the scanner and I have had a lot of questions, you have to call which they never have time to answer. Also they charge way to much for blocks that are the smallest on the market and the way they have the block set in there it wastes more block. I have been talking to nexzar and they are making blocks that will be half the cost, also looking for burrs to maufactured at half the cost...which will help. but not having the manual pisses me off. I do think they nickel and dime you to death....I could have bought a better scanner..IMETRIC SCANNER with exocad with all the features for less. with Zirkonzahn they charge you for every module which is about a 1000.00 and a monthy fee for each ...which sucks..My costs have gone up 70% with this milling machine. I have there manual milling machine and can mill a coping for less than 3 bucks. I would have been better to hire someone to manuel mill them and pay them 10 and hour ...cost would be like 13 a coping.

A

a88nn

Reaction score
I have the M5 ....I wish I would not have bought it ...the fits are OK, but I think they need to change there milling strategy...they need to use the .5 burr on inside of coping instead of the 1. Plus the biggest problem is that they do not have a manual that comes with the scanner and I have had a lot of questions, you have to call which they never have time to answer. Also they charge way to much for blocks that are the smallest on the market and the way they have the block set in there it wastes more block. I have been talking to nexzar and they are making blocks that will be half the cost, also looking for burrs to maufactured at half the cost...which will help. but not having the manual pisses me off. I do think they nickel and dime you to death....I could have bought a better scanner..IMETRIC SCANNER with exocad with all the features for less. with Zirkonzahn they charge you for every module which is about a 1000.00 and a monthy fee for each ...which sucks..My costs have gone up 70% with this milling machine. I have there manual milling machine and can mill a coping for less than 3 bucks. I would have been better to hire someone to manuel mill them and pay them 10 and hour ...cost would be like 13 a coping.

I totally agree. If I had a choise, I would never ever buy M5. Zirkograph (to work with zirconia only) is amazing and perfect for small and medium labs. But if you want to mill metal, I think it will generate huge costs. You will pay for every module and support. And, I don't know the situation in your country, but in Poland none of doctors would appreciate the perfect fit and the fact it was milled by machine. None of them would pay more for that. You invest, they earn. That's he truth about this profession in my country. :der:

Y

YMS96

Reaction score

d.

Does Zirkanzahn manufacture their own discs? A lot of 'generic' zirconia out there is the same stuff that the big names are selling just in a different box so don't be too scared of it.

A

a88nn

Reaction score
But each of Zirkonzahn block has its barcode. You can start working with cad cam only by writing it to a program. No other way to do it.

M

Michael C Sweglar

Reaction score
Burs for the ZirkonZahn M5

I can get them for about half the price if I can get enough owners to order them..

M

Michael C Sweglar

Reaction score
they do have bar codes but I don't use them

Does Zirkanzahn manufacture their own discs? A lot of 'generic' zirconia out there is the same stuff that the big names are selling just in a different box so don't be too scared of it.

I take off the bar code you don't need them...plus I have a company making disc to fit at half the price and the burs I may be able to get at half the price.

M

Michael C Sweglar

Reaction score
So you have a M5?

But each of Zirkonzahn block has its barcode. You can start working with cad cam only by writing it to a program. No other way to do it.

If so..I need to get more owners to get products made that will fit the M5. Like I have posted the bur and discs at half the price of Zirkonsahns