Zirconia testing

npdynamite

npdynamite

Reaction score
I'm curious about how people go about testing new zirconia's. I'm currently testing out some multi layer materials (zirlux transitions, argen HT+ multi, and Katana HTML, possibly more) and I am getting good results. I did drop the zirlux sintering temps because I was getting too light of a shade and that was their guides recommendation for that. What I am thinking is that to ensure that I am getting my best possible result with each material I should be running each on at least two alternate programs before assuming that my first program got me the best possible results out of the setup I'm using.

What I am having a hard time with is knowing which settings I should be tweaking. It would be lovely to be able to test a range of both temps and hold times but there is a limit to how much time can be put into such a project. Right now the shades are pretty on point, there is definitely a difference across all them but they are all pretty good, one may be just a little yellow, but barely. So I would be mostly targeting seeing if there is any differences in translucency. My perception is that temp has more affect on shade and hold time has more affect on translucency, but either can affect both if pushed too far in either direction. Can anyone comment on if this is accurate? If that is accurate, how large of increments should I be using for my adjustments?

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Just a comment on zirlux transitions, I gave up on it. I adjusted the temp down twice according to their recommendations without there being enough of a change, it was still to light. All of my experience with other zirconia's, they never needed to be tweaked like that stuff, to still not be close enough to an A2 without possibly needing to do ging pre sinter coloring.

npdynamite

npdynamite

Reaction score
Just a comment on zirlux transitions, I gave up on it. I adjusted the temp down twice according to their recommendations without there being enough of a change, it was still to light. All of my experience with other zirconia's, they never needed to be tweaked like that stuff, to still not be close enough to an A2 without possibly needing to do ging pre sinter coloring.
Interesting. I was getting a little bit of that impression, but I haven't had a chance to dig into it yet. I do think I saw a little change, but they said drop the temp 50c, which seemed a bit excessive. I seem to recall reading in other forums that it's smart to stick to smaller increments like 10c.

millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
I had the same experience with zirlux transitions, I sintered at 1480 as they suggest results were very little chroma and translucency. I tried from 1400 to 1500, same outcome.

HonestAbe

HonestAbe

Reaction score
We're using zirlux transitions at the moment. I'm not a ceramist I just do the CAD/CAM and other stuff. We've had the same issues with it being too light to the point where I was milling A2's as A3's and we were getting good results with that. I think there were other shades where we had milled darker shades to get to where we wanted to go. A bit of a headache really but apparently things are dialed in well now so I will inquire about that. I do know that if anyone has recommendations about zirc that doesn't require as much tweaking that I'd love to be able to pass on that info.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I had the same experience with zirlux transitions, I sintered at 1480 as they suggest results were very little chroma and translucency. I tried from 1400 to 1500, same outcome.

And that's when I said,"ridiculous" and gave up on it. The temperature range and swing shouldn't be that great, that we have to hunt and peck for a desired result. There are many other better zirconia's out there that are spot on or really close to their sintering instructions.

Let alone the lack of a look of translucency.

millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
And that's when I said,"ridiculous" and gave up on it. The temperature range and swing shouldn't be that great, that we have to hunt and peck for a desired result. There are many other better zirconia's out there that are spot on or really close to their sintering instructions.

Let alone the lack of a look of translucency.
Were you able to return the used zr puck(s) for a full refund?

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Were you able to return the used zr puck(s) for a full refund?

I think my inside sales rep gave it to me at 1/2 price, to try it out. It was just one A2 disc. When I told her I couldn't get what I was looking for after 2 tries, and didn't have time to try to dial it in, she didn't put up a fight, or ask if I wanted to talk to tech support. I'm thinking they've probably received some mixed reviews and she didn't want to push it.

How about yourself, did you just buy or get 1 disc to try out? Were you able to return it?

Last edited:
millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
I talked to tech support at least four times. They are calling me to find out how the results are. I bought seven pucks and used three. The bleach2 shade looks very nice. I tried D3 and C1 with poor outcome. Bought them at full price. My rep told me if I did not like the results she will give me a full refund. Like you I don't have time to puts around so I mill a few extra crowns and try different temps. I have two sintering furnaces and the results are the same for both.

L

lucky54

Reaction score
Hello, everyone
does any of you have experience with the program settings of ceramill therm 3 for Circad Prime from Ivoclar ???