Zirconia expansion problems.

M

Mike_the_Owner

Reaction score
Hello fellow techs. I have come across a problem where the zirconia crowns have come out either to large on the die or way to tight. Has anybody had this problem? We have an orgin mill and a Mc X5. This problem only happens to 1 out of 30 crowns in the batch.

We have double checked expansion ratios on the disks to make sure they are correct.

Any other thoughts on this problem?

Brent Harvey

Brent Harvey

Reaction score
Hello fellow techs. I have come across a problem where the zirconia crowns have come out either to large on the die or way to tight. Has anybody had this problem? We have an orgin mill and a Mc X5. This problem only happens to 1 out of 30 crowns in the batch.

We have double checked expansion ratios on the disks to make sure they are correct.

Any other thoughts on this problem?
Hi Mike,

Let me think about it, 1 out of every 30 crowns is a pretty low number so that makes it a little harder to troubleshoot.

M

Mike_the_Owner

Reaction score
Hi Mike,

Let me think about it, 1 out of every 30 crowns is a pretty low number so that makes it a little harder to troubleshoot.

The thing about it also, the crowns are not just slightly off they are drastically different.

user name

user name

Reaction score
First problem might be selecting the wrong material on the order, (DB in Exo).

M

Mike_the_Owner

Reaction score
We are using both exocad and sirona. This problem is happening to both the systems. A few things we have already checked are correct material selected and making sure expansion ratios are correct. I am hoping this is something past the milling process that can be fixed.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
We are using both exocad and sirona. This problem is happening to both the systems. A few things we have already checked are correct material selected and making sure expansion ratios are correct. I am hoping this is something past the milling process that can be fixed.
On the same mill you are using both? Or you have issues with two different mills?

M

Mike_the_Owner

Reaction score
On the same mill you are using both? Or you have issues with two different mills?
We are having the problem on both of the mills, and we are using both programs on both of the mills. Most zirconia disks we do have both programs crowns on the disk.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
The thing about it also, the crowns are not just slightly off they are drastically different.

We are having the problem on both of the mills, and we are using both programs on both of the mills. Most zirconia disks we do have both programs crowns on the disk.
This is going to sound odd.
You have 2 mills, 2 cam engines, 2 design systems. And either design system and its cam can output to either mill.

Is it possible that a crown is getting milled by both systems. That would certainly account for them being drastically different. If you're missing a crown every time tis happens, then there's your confirmation.

Last edited:
M

mmbh

Reaction score
You mentioned both programs are running both mills, but are the problem crowns primarily coming from one design software?

M

Mike_the_Owner

Reaction score
This is going to sound odd.
You have 2 mills, 2 cam engines, 2 design systems. And either design system and its cam can output to either mill.

Is it possible that a crown is getting milled by both systems. That would certainly account for them being drastically different.

Everything that is designed is put into a folder from both systems as STL files.
I cant figure out how to add a photo or i would attach a network map that would make sense.
Sirona computer is just for nesting on the mx5. We have a seperate computer for nesting for the origin that we export both scanners to.

M

Mike_the_Owner

Reaction score
You mentioned both programs are running both mills, but are the problem crowns primarily coming from one design software?
It has been both systems. The excocade seems to be making crowns way larger opening the margins a bunch. Sirona has been making crowns way to tight around the die.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Everything that is designed is put into a folder from both systems as STL files.
I cant figure out how to add a photo or i would attach a network map that would make sense.
Sirona computer is just for nesting on the mx5. We have a seperate computer for nesting for the origin that we export both scanners to.
You can click on the icon to the right of the yellow smiley face to add a picture.

M

Mike_the_Owner

Reaction score
If this helps

Attachments

• 20180607_103616.jpg
    20180607_103616.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 65
TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Anything that has Dentsply in it would be my first red flag. Seriously though, not sure...seems like more than one in thirty would be in an issue. However, I do have a bud who tells me he has the same issues with the sirona...he's tried everything!!!

M

mmbh

Reaction score
Sorry about your expansion issues. Not sure what to tell you, Haven't had that issue with our sirona stuff.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
agreed, if the system recognized the unit as a wax it would mill at 100% size, however if by some miracle that same wax disc was input incorrectly and had a 1.2 expansion, anything in that puck would be 1.2x the correct size.

double check that these failed units come out of different pucks. sniff test your input process.

WaxOnScanOff

WaxOnScanOff

Reaction score
It has been both systems. The excocade seems to be making crowns way larger opening the margins a bunch. Sirona has been making crowns way to tight around the die.
We've been having the EXACT SAME PROBLEM with our Sirona designs for the last 2 years. No one has been able to help us or offer any kind of solutions. We've tried EVERYTHING multiple times. The best we get is "have your doctor make a better prep". Yeah, YOU try calling up the doctors and tell them that. Some of them just dont make great preps OR dont have a great tooth to work on to begin with.

WaxOnScanOff

WaxOnScanOff

Reaction score

Mike, have you found any solution to the tightness issues on Sirona? Its been a long time and we're STILL at a loss on how to fix this.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
The solution is to find another system it sounds like..

M

Mike_the_Owner

Reaction score
Unfortunately we did not find a solution to this problem. It's an on going battle.

Top Bottom