Zirconia Discs Selection

• Thread starter Simon_Vincismile
  • Start date
Simon_Vincismile

Simon_Vincismile

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm a new product manager of Zirconia Disc. I'd like to what the most important factors are when dental technicians select the brand of zirconia discs. Could anyone provide some information or suggestions for me? Thank you guys!

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm a new product manager of Zirconia Disc. I'd like to what the most important factors are when dental technicians select the brand of zirconia discs. Could anyone provide some information or suggestions for me? Thank you guys!
Shade and strength.

Many of the materials out there don't reflect the shade they advertise. Specially in the high strength range. I choose the material according to the case. Individual restorations I go with a more esthetic looking material, knowing it doesn't have the maximum strength.

As soon as there is a pontic involved, I go high strength. My material of choice for bridges and such is Argen HT+ Multilayer, for the moment.

PS. For some reason, I still have the fear this whole zirconia thing is coming back to hunt us in the future.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
PS. For some reason, I still have the fear this whole zirconia thing is coming back to hunt us in the future.
Contraluz = Disturbed ?!?!?! :)

We use Ivoclar's Prime. We keep a stock for every Vita shade. We also have a presinter stain system for shades that aren't a perfect match for the Vita shades. This zirconia allows us to get natural transluceny while also going for more strength as needed in the same zirconia puck.

npdynamite

npdynamite

Reaction score
Firstly, I like to see a few options of strength and translucency. Then I look at puck size, if at least a 25mm isn't offered I will look elsewhere. Then shade selection, there has to be the full classic line, I prefer preshaded. If all of those are satisfied, test for shade, we need good shade across the spectrum. Lastly consistency. I need the results to be consistent and the availability to be consistent.

tehnik

tehnik

Reaction score
1. All vita shades + 3 bleach shades (shades match)
2. Up to 30mm discs
3. For large bridges at least 1150 MPA all over the disc and 45% translucency
4. No super long sintering cycles (pritidenta has 8 hours for large bridges and 0 problems with that)
5. For aesthetic jobs it can be multi strength and trans.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
6. Price (I don't mind spending more but the manufactures better bring the A game with the quality
7. Preshaded always with all vita shades w/bleach (don't get cheap and skip out of on us for D2 and C1...they are tough shades but better have them)
8. Have it in stock
9. Be nice on the phone, hate it when you have a great product but you have shltty customer service
10. No need to call five times a week to see if I need more product, I'll call you...you just need to make sure #8 and #9 are covered when I do :)

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score

We use Ivoclar's Prime. We keep a stock for every Vita shade. We also have a presinter stain system for shades that aren't a perfect match for the Vita shades. This zirconia allows us to get natural transluceny while also going for more strength as needed in the same zirconia puck.
That's where @disturbed went, changed his name to @Contraluz
Sorry Michael, I couldn't resist!

Simon_Vincismile

Simon_Vincismile

Reaction score
Shade and strength.

Many of the materials out there don't reflect the shade they advertise. Specially in the high strength range. I choose the material according to the case. Individual restorations I go with a more esthetic looking material, knowing it doesn't have the maximum strength.

As soon as there is a pontic involved, I go high strength. My material of choice for bridges and such is Argen HT+ Multilayer, for the moment.

Thanks for your reply! Moreover, how would you verify a new-brand zirconia disc which you never used before? As I know the value of strength is not only determined by the material but also depends on the structure, but the value on the promotion is usually a data given under the 3-point flexural test. Would you make a strength test on the final bridge made from the disc?

Simon_Vincismile

Simon_Vincismile

Reaction score
Firstly, I like to see a few options of strength and translucency. Then I look at puck size, if at least a 25mm isn't offered I will look elsewhere. Then shade selection, there has to be the full classic line, I prefer preshaded. If all of those are satisfied, test for shade, we need good shade across the spectrum. Lastly consistency. I need the results to be consistent and the availability to be consistent.
Thanks for your reply, but I'm a little puzzled about the thickness. We also provide a 25mm zirconia disc but sells little. I'm not sure why 25mm is so important because a 14mm disc is basically OK to fabricate a restoration. Could you help solve my puzzles?:)

Simon_Vincismile

Simon_Vincismile

Reaction score
6. Price (I don't mind spending more but the manufactures better bring the A game with the quality
7. Preshaded always with all vita shades w/bleach (don't get cheap and skip out of on us for D2 and C1...they are tough shades but better have them)
8. Have it in stock
9. Be nice on the phone, hate it when you have a great product but you have shltty customer service
10. No need to call five times a week to see if I need more product, I'll call you...you just need to make sure #8 and #9 are covered when I do :)
Hahaha, nice suggestions. I think I could be a perfect salesman as the point you mentioned, but I'm only a product manager. Frequent calls is really annoying sometime😁

Simon_Vincismile

Simon_Vincismile

Reaction score
Guys, all of you are too enthusiastic! Thank you all!

Simon_Vincismile

Simon_Vincismile

Reaction score
Not really... just pulling yer leg.... Trust me Simon Bird
Hahaha, no problem. Thanks for your reminder but any suggestion is really important for a green hand. Anyway it is also great to know some friends experienced in dental tech;)

npdynamite

npdynamite

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, but I'm a little puzzled about the thickness. We also provide a 25mm zirconia disc but sells little. I'm not sure why 25mm is so important because a 14mm disc is basically OK to fabricate a restoration. Could you help solve my puzzles?:)
14mm is fine for most single unit restorations. Full arches need 20-30mm depending on the design. A lot of 3-6 unit bridges need 18-20mm pucks. So what is OK to fabricate a restoration is whatever puck it fits in, and a 14mm is incredibly restrictive in for any lab doing more than just basic units. Heck, single unit implant restorations don't all that often fit in 14's

Simon_Vincismile

Simon_Vincismile

Reaction score
14mm is fine for most single unit restorations. Full arches need 20-30mm depending on the design. A lot of 3-6 unit bridges need 18-20mm pucks. So what is OK to fabricate a restoration is whatever puck it fits in, and a 14mm is incredibly restrictive in for any lab doing more than just basic units. Heck, single unit implant restorations don't all that often fit in 14's
Thanks! The information is really important for me because I almostly have no experience about digital dental tech. Communicating with you helps me a lot! 😁

tehnik

tehnik

Reaction score
I actually use 10 and 12mm also for single units, a lot.

Last edited:
Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply! Moreover, how would you verify a new-brand zirconia disc which you never used before? As I know the value of strength is not only determined by the material but also depends on the structure, but the value on the promotion is usually a data given under the 3-point flexural test. Would you make a strength test on the final bridge made from the disc?
I don't have the means nor the time to stress test a bridge before delivery. In general, I go with brands that have a reputation in our field. If you come up with a brand new zirconia, and have not been in the dental field prior to your launch, you would have to come up with some compelling arguments. And price is not one of them.

I need to be able to back my products with the clients. At the end, my lively hood depends on the materials I use! I'd go bankrupt quickly if that material starts to fail at a high rate...

I realize, having been in the dental field a long time, as a provider of products, doesn't make you automatically an expert in zirconia. We certainly had our run ins and failures with this material in the past. It is a finicky material, too! If you don't that it right, it'll kick you in the as quickly.

I feel, we really only are at the beginning of usable zirconia products! Everything prior to multilayer discs was unusable, esthetically speaking!

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score

Very disturbed!

:p