Zirconia crown/ adapt to night guard

DreN4do

DreN4do

Donator
Reaction score
anyway, was a bust... i gave up on it.... maybe the boss will come up with a way of doing it... thanks for all the advise though

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Who's your support with, core3d, try calling them in the morning?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
anyway, was a bust... i gave up on it.... maybe the boss will come up with a way of doing it... thanks for all the advise though
Paint the inside with a super thin layer of vasline, put some dielube on the die, put liquidish wax in the tooth hole of the bite spint, put some on the die. Smash together. Let cool.
Remove splint, connect top to margin.

Scan as preop.

Digital is awesome power, but it's not the only power.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
ugh.. the boss, its always his problem. We gave you several easy suggestions, and unless your boss is on DLN, he probably wont know any better!

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
it won't align because of how vector data works. a surface is comprised not solely of points but also vectors indicating what is the surface and what is under the surface.

you'd need to scan the mouthguard as impression, turn it inside out, then use that to align to the model. lot of hoops. 3shape hasnt innovated in this area for years.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
all this high tech, run by cave men.

ugg, why not scanner work? mugg, me not know. hit with rock. maybe file is stuck in eeprom.

that's it, the secret is to keep banging the rocks together.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Mix putty and then pack it in the guard just over the prep then place guard over model and press until set. remove from guard and place back on model then do the above antagonist bite scan.

Or

Hand wax then copy wax scan and set margins and finish, much faster, only do this for ZR restoration. Otherwise hand wax and finish.

Jack_the_dentureman

Jack_the_dentureman

Reaction score
Do new crown. Cut hole in night guard, fill with acrylic, polish. Done. Or its not acrylic splint?

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I like the combination idea of JMN and Sevan. Mix some lab putty and form it into the occlusion of the night guard,
then some on the die, push the night guard on the model, let it set, clean up the margin area a bit,
and scan it as a pre-op. Chances are the putty won't even need to be sprayed.

F

FullPartial

Reaction score
Didn’t read most of replies cause it looked too long winded for an easy process. Do these a lot.

1. Take night guard/retainer/splint inject Status Blue/pvs/ what ever crap you want over prepped tooth area and adjacent teeth in tray. Pull out and treat as a pre op model
2. Scan as pre op
3. Click Mirror design to pre op
4. Look at dust forming on corner of computer screens.
5. Look at dust forming on E3 scanner bed
6. Wonder why so much dust on E3 scanner bed
7. Watch new tech blast cad/cam spray on status blue preop retainer model in direction of scanner
8. Wonder why it’s 2019 and still do this
9. So much dust everywhere
10. Mills done. Explain the whole process over again to the new tech on next case.

TLDR; fill it up>pre op it>mirror pre op> glaze it> find new cleaning crew

D

DaveId

Solutions
Reaction score
All we do is have the plaster department pour into the night-guard, scan that as the pre-op (sometimes a pain to align, but close enough is close enough - minor adjustments to the zirc after sintering are going to be required) and either morph or just ensure our crown sits inside the pre-op.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Doesnt anyone get pre op models? Why does the Dr even send the nightguard? They generally make a temp that fits if the tooth isnt broken, so why not use the impression they already have? The only thing sending a nightguard does for you is make you liable for a new one if something happens to it. You have to educate the Dr here, just because they think it works that way, doesnt mean its the best way to do it, and shouldnt dictate your workflow.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Doesnt anyone get pre op models? Why does the Dr even send the nightguard? They generally make a temp that fits if the tooth isnt broken, so why not use the impression they already have? The only thing sending a nightguard does for you is make you liable for a new one if something happens to it. You have to educate the Dr here, just because they think it works that way, doesnt mean its the best way to do it, and shouldnt dictate your workflow.
That's why I promote an IOS instead of a PVS.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Regardless, pre-op tooth is the same scanned or impressed. Workflows the same.

F

FullPartial

Reaction score
I get that and agree. But for us, if that doc isn’t a newer account or a young doc we ain’t breaking that bronco. Workflow is fine they save on imp material and tray, we charge enough that our material is negligible at the rate we do them. Shoot they could have their assistant purge some pvs into the tray for us if they don’t want to take a proper pre op. Whaddya gonna do

DreN4do

DreN4do

Donator
Reaction score
Just a heads up... I scanned the lower and upper bites as normal. I sprayed and scanned the night guard by itself (facing up with the neighboring teeth in the night guard) as a pre-op and lined it up with the lowers.... worked out just fine. I made it happen, not the boss... lol :)

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
and invented another way still for someone to use in the future. Thanks for letting us know you worked it out.