Zirconia coloring liquids??

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
Hi,
Just wondering if anyone is using a coloring system for presintered zirconia. If so, are you happy with the materials? Are you getting consistent result.
b

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
we used to use the Vita YZ colouring system; but we found that it added a lot of bright yellow tones even at high dilution of even its most dark liquid, and never gave us any form of brown except when the liquid was brushed on at 0 dilution; however the brown was akin to the kind that comes out the rear end.

yesterday we changed to the ZirkonZahn Prettau liquid however i am off all this week recovering from surgery (posting from home - i think this site has Bitten me like a zombie!)

if you want i can take some pics when i get back to work next week.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
What are you guys talkin'bout? LOL

Strange question, and answer is for different question all together.

a4.bp.blogspot.com__xpadHP2LoUA_TAB_0trz5JI_AAAAAAAAArM_KmnZRyOd02I_s1600_GaryColemanblog.jpg
a4.bp.blogspot.com__xpadHP2LoUA_TAB_0trz5JI_AAAAAAAAArM_KmnZRyOd02I_s1600_GaryColemanblog.jpg

Bobby Orr ceramics

Bobby Orr ceramics

Reaction score
we've used the Zirkahn liquids......average. We're now using Glidewell's liquids......the shades are alot nicer to work with. However, the Zr you're dipping or brushing is just as important for the final result. We're milling Talladium's HT Zr for most of our units.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
You are milling Pre-Sintered Zirconia huh?

Are you sure about that?

You are using Diamonds and plenty of water? Right?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
yeah, i'm not clear if by pre-sintered zirconia you mean the white non sintered zirconia that almost everyone is milling; myself milling dry, others milling wet...

pucks dont come post-sintered do they ?

Slipstream

Slipstream

Reaction score
The standard puck is technically semi-sintered - stain and then finish sinter to hard state

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I have pre-sintered Zirconia ready to mill on the KaVo.

It is fully sintered piece of White Steel. That is pre-sintered. You mill it with Diamonds. I believe the One piece Implant abutments are also milled out of sintered Zirconia.

What else are you guys talking about? Sounds like regular Green-state stuff.

Are you guys trying to break down the Green state Zirconia into two catagories or something?? I don't get? Do you?

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
yeah, i'm not clear if by pre-sintered zirconia you mean the white non sintered zirconia that almost everyone is milling; myself milling dry, others milling wet...

pucks dont come post-sintered do they ?

Yes, they do. I have many shapes of Sintered Zirconia.

Youy want a conping in an Hour? OK. Takes about that long to mill a tiny coping. No profit, but it does work I guess?

JayH

JayH

Geek
Reaction score
I don't think he's talking HIP Zr. Green state Zr is "pre-sintered". There's a short, lower-temp cycle required to get the powder and binder stabilized for the machining process.

Edit: Sorry, the powder stabilized - the binder removed.

Last edited:
DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Ok, fine. Pre-Sintered. (Even though it is not even kinda Sintered in the least little bit)

Most of us would refer to that as Green Zirconia.

Maybe Bob is talking about pre-colored, pre-sintered Zirconia (Green-state, not really sintered)

S

Swatch8x

Banned
Reaction score
I am using Metoxit pre-sintered zirconium, and I use the coloring liquids from Ivoclar. I like them the most. I also have the coloring liquids from Vita, a few customers prefer their shades. I my opinion, as someone before me said, they are a bit too bright and yellow, but I guess it's all about what each one is used to the most.
I also tried the coloring liquids from WhitePeaks. Although they are very good in penetrating the zirconium, even the thick pontics all the way to the core, I didn't like that all the shades bring out a hint of grey, that most of the customers and myself didn't appreciate, so I have it gathering dust in a corner :)
Out of the three, I would recommend Ivoclar.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
Hi Scott,
Sorry, for the confusion. I was looking for input for coloring systems for green state Pre sintered zirconia. We are currently using Zircon Zahn materials and are looking for something better.
Currently we are finding that the coloring liquids are difficult to controll and look much different on different zirconia materials.
We currently have it worked out pretty well. But as manufacturing rams up I would like a simpler more predictable technique.
B

DevonR

DevonR

Reaction score
Anyone using the Weiland colouring system?? We're thinking of switching to this one as it is suppose to be safe for your sintering oven's element and colours are good! (currently we use zirkonzahn and i think that one eats away at your element over time.. acid base? )

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I get elements for $11 each from China, plus kinda expensive shipping.
The Silicon coating does eventualy burn away on these MoSi style.

The Chinese elements last a few months and turn Brown, then they go "Pop", we bake a few times empty and the Silica coating re-grows and the elements then last another six months or so. This is pretty much continuous running of ovens with many teeth and lots of acid.

I have a case of 32 comming in this week for 3/6 mm (3M Style, skinny long)
And 16 elements of 5/10mm (Glidewell style, short thicker)

I order about that much every year or so.
Really don't sell them for profit, but I do end up passing them out somehow?

Last edited:
PCDL

PCDL

Reaction score
I use the Glidewell liquids, and am dipping the copings... I find that 2- 2.5 minutes works well to get color through the thickness of the coping.

TMNT120

TMNT120

Reaction score
Anyone using the Weiland colouring system?? We're thinking of switching to this one as it is suppose to be safe for your sintering oven's element and colours are good! (currently we use zirkonzahn and i think that one eats away at your element over time.. acid base? )

We've used both ZirkonZahn's and Wieland's Color liquids, ZirkonZahn always seemed too deep in color for my liking, and the short amount of dipping time creates a large variance in just a few seconds. Wieland's color liquids take 10 seconds to dip and 2 minutes in another "fixing" solution... the results are more consistent and are much friendlier on the heating elements. Especially when the OEM heating elements are $650 a pop:mad::mad::mad: Just ordered 3 since I noticed they were on their way out while replacing one that died.

The only shades I really use are the A1 and A2, Everything else doesn't seem to match up the same with their respective vita shades.

M

MARKB63

Reaction score
Hello,
information, where can I buy pre-sintered zirconia color?

"Pre-Sintered ZirColor Coloring Liquids by Tanaka."

I tried to contact this company "http://www.dentalzirconia.com", but I do not respond.
Do you know this company?

Thanks!

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Tanaka Dental Products ?
If that's what you are looking for their phone number is 1-800-325-5266

Last edited:
M

MARKB63

Reaction score
Tanaka Dental Products ?
If that's what you are looking for their phone number is 1-800-325-5266

Thanks for response,
I already had 'seen the site of Tanaka, but contacts are by email only to the U.S.
Do you think it can send in Italy?
I do not speak English ......