Zirconia cantilever Maryland bridge

Saluki

Saluki

Reaction score
Doc wants single wing cantilever zirconia Maryland bridge anterior off of #6 and #9 replacing #7 and 10. Anyone have any experience with something like this? Would it even work? Thanks

M

mmbh

Reaction score
have done winged marlyand bridges, but don't recall a cantilever one. Wings were treated with rocotec( i think thats what its called) so Doc could bond them.

F

FASTFNGR

Reaction score
Doc wants single wing cantilever zirconia Maryland bridge anterior off of #6 and #9 replacing #7 and 10. Anyone have any experience with something like this? Would it even work? Thanks
I have done several with zirconia but it has to be an 1100mp, out of occlusion and bonded if possible.

L

Leejh

Reaction score
Is Zirconia cantilever maryland bridge ok? Wouldn't it come off too easily compared to Emax or PFM?

rlhhds

rlhhds

Reaction score
We have done a couple of these recently. Dr. went to some program or read an article regarding this technique and felt it was the sh*t. Have not heard if they are staying in place though.

M

mmbh

Reaction score
Is Zirconia cantilever maryland bridge ok? Wouldn't it come off too easily compared to Emax or PFM?
We've only done a handful but we've never had any come off. They have to be bonded. The zirconia can be somewhat treated to make it bondable.

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
So I'm looking at the third go round of making two cantilever marylands 6-7 and 10-11. the second doc wanted to keep it emax but make the lingual hugely thick. They broke. Patient still doesn't want to prep for any kind of bridge to replace the laterals. So what's the best option? i remember zirconia being ok as long as you could do a thin coat of porcelain on the bonding surface of wing. What are some options I can try?

user name

user name

Reaction score
Implants or flipper.
If youre charging every time you remake these perhaps the Dr will be more persuasive with the pt.

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
Implants or flipper.
If youre charging every time you remake these perhaps the Dr will be more persuasive with the pt.
I did half charge on the second attempt and if we go zirc it'll be 25% off reg price which i think is $425. doc says insufficient space for implants. Patient has been in flipper since age 12, now 19.
what do you think about the porcelain lined wing of an all zirconia?

user name

user name

Reaction score
Im in this to make a profit and do things that work. Ive told all my accounts I wont do marylands. I wont touch metal and its strictly off menu for L.D.
Implants or flipper or 3 unit bridge.
Patient doesnt get to decide whats right. Talk with the Dr and explain. 'Ill keep making these, but theres no warranty. Full price every time.
I dont believe implants arent an option.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
If there is room for an normal sized lateral, there is room for a Nobel Active 3.0 to be placed. They were brought about for lower anteriors.

Only contraindication would be the resoration has to be in group function for me to feel good about suggesting it.

C

charles007

Reaction score
Designed many wing bridges over the years in zirconia with a rap around contact off the pontic. The wrap around acts like a fake rest, new dental term.. lol Assuming connector size is ok ! not just minimum, and wall thickness on abutment is ok in thickness !
Cases were either facial/buccal micro layered. or fcz. Personally don't trust using emax for bridges/ pontics and really don't like wing bridges period.
No known failures over many years but I did turn down cases because of lack of connector size on short teeth/occlusion issues.
Remakes you say ? what are remakes.... or is that something you design knowing failure is a possibility...like a wing bridge... Laugh

G

grantoz

Reaction score
dont do emax it will break .marylands either work really well or fall out really quick. if you have a dentist who is experienced in bonding Zi just make sure the surface is clean and lightly sand blasted the Zi primers work very well in thr right hands,.if low in experience then use glaze on the fitting surface and etch it a get them to bond it as normal.

C

charles007

Reaction score
Please ignore my post, I misunderstood the question and can't delete my post above..
I was strictly talking about a 2 unit wing bridge, not Maryland bridges. Didn't realize labs are still making these temporally fall out of the mouth bridges and forgot about the word Maryland. Stopped making Maryland bridges not long after this crazy design idea came out many years ago. Last Maryland I made was probably back in the 80's. If I was forced at gun point to make another Maryland I would only use emax and must be bonded in with zero warranty.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I did half charge on the second attempt and if we go zirc it'll be 25% off reg price which i think is $425. doc says insufficient space for implants. Patient has been in flipper since age 12, now 19.
what do you think about the porcelain lined wing of an all zirconia?

Or, just add extra die spacer in the design within the margin border, then fire glaze into that space and etch that glazed surface?
I know 2th mentioned Z-Prime Plus, you could give that a try. I'm just not sure of any results or studies showing its
effectiveness on wings.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I haven't trusted one not made of NP metal. Haven't been proved wrong on that yet.

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
I haven't trusted one not made of NP metal. Haven't been proved wrong on that yet.
Studies I've heard of suggest 1 wing (works) 2 wings can fail. Seems counterintuitive but its the forces at play. My main concern with Zr Maryland bridges is if they do fail, and swollowed, its like a bladed fishing lure with low radiolucency...hard to find in exploratory surgery!!!! Just a thought...

Top Bottom