Zirconia Brands

2oothguy

2oothguy

Reaction score
So we just bought our first mill and I am curious what type of zirconia you all are using and why. We have been using HT+ and ST layered for all of our zirconia, and we may continue. But I am not married to this brand at all. Yes it looks nice and we haven't had any issues with it as far as shades or strength go.
So like most owners I'm looking for the best zirconia at a far price. If you care to share what and why I would love to hear from those who been in the game awhile. I'm not interested in any sales people promoting there product. I just want real lab techs advice and knowledgeable info. Please don't take offence, I just want to hear from the horses mouth. If you care to share thank you in advance!!!!

If you have a link to this topic discussed in other forums please share as well. Thank You

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
We had a thread talking about this same question not too long ago. You should be able to find it.
We have been using HT+ and ST layered for all of our zirconia, and we may continue. Yes it looks nice and we haven't had any issues with it as far as shades or strength go.
If you are familiar with this Zr, start there! Additionally you may want to try the new HT+ Multi layer.

At my lab, we mainly use Ivoclar, but also Argen and Whitepeaks.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
We use Ivoclar's Prime zirconia for everything. It's a really nice multi layered zirconia that you can use for single unit bruzir style crowns, monolithic anteriors, layered zirconia crowns and large span bridges. Sticking to one brand of zirconia, whichever one your go with, helps with keeping your sintering programs, zirconia stock, and infiltrating processes streamlined.

Which mill did you get?

2oothguy

2oothguy

Reaction score
We had a thread talking about this same question not too long ago. You should be able to find it.

If you are familiar with this Zr, start there! Additionally you may want to try the new HT+ Multi layer.

At my lab, we mainly use Ivoclar, but also Argen and Whitepeaks.
Thank You!!

2oothguy

2oothguy

Reaction score
We use Ivoclar's Prime zirconia for everything. It's a really nice multi layered zirconia that you can use for single unit bruzir style crowns, monolithic anteriors, layered zirconia crowns and large span bridges. Sticking to one brand of zirconia, whichever one your go with, helps with keeping your sintering programs, zirconia stock, and infiltrating processes streamlined.

Which mill did you get?
Hey Thanks that's good advice. How are the prices for that Zirconia? Do the shades match up well? Anything in particular you don't like about it on certain cases maybe? Thanks for your advice and info!!

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
We use the entire argen line up. I was on the beta for ST+, STML and HTML. All great zr. We recently dropped the ST+ due to too high of a translucent level. And switch all those to the STML line. We also use Prime and MT Multi from ivoclar.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
Hey Thanks that's good advice. How are the prices for that Zirconia? Do the shades match up well? Anything in particular you don't like about it on certain cases maybe? Thanks for your advice and info!!
We stock all vita shades. Shades are decent, but we also infiltrate all our crowns before sintering to make them "pop" a bit more. With all the multilayer zirconias, where you nest in the puck is key. This you will learn with a little trial and error. I am sure your Ivoclar rep would be happy to supply you with a puck so you can play around with it. I am sure the Argen line of Zirconias that Sevan mentioned are very good also. We have an Ivoclar mill and sintering ovens so it just makes sense for us to stick with the Ivoclar Prime Zirconia also.

2oothguy

2oothguy

Reaction score
We use the entire argen line up. I was on the beta for ST+, STML and HTML. All great zr. We recently dropped the ST+ due to too high of a translucent level. And switch all those to the STML line. We also use Prime and MT Multi from ivoclar.
Great info thanks. Why do you use the prime on some cases instead?

2oothguy

2oothguy

Reaction score
We stock all vita shades. Shades are decent, but we also infiltrate all our crowns before sintering to make them "pop" a bit more. With all the multilayer zirconias, where you nest in the puck is key. This you will learn with a little trial and error. I am sure your Ivoclar rep would be happy to supply you with a puck so you can play around with it. I am sure the Argen line of Zirconias that Sevan mentioned are very good also. We have an Ivoclar mill and sintering ovens so it just makes sense for us to stick with the Ivoclar Prime Zirconia also.
Thanks for the response! I was thinking the same thing about nesting the crowns in the right areas to get the correct blend, What thickness of puck do you use mostly? I know it all matters what height of the crown is, but I don't know if some just use lets say a 14 or 18 mm etc.. puck mostly. Or if you have several crowns that need a 14mm puck and some that need a 18mm puck, do you just run all in the 18mm? Thank you!

M

mmbh

Reaction score
It is almost exactly the same for us, except the MT multi from ivoclar. We use all the others you mentioned.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
Thanks for the response! I was thinking the same thing about nesting the crowns in the right areas to get the correct blend, What thickness of puck do you use mostly? I know it all matters what height of the crown is, but I don't know if some just use lets say a 14 or 18 mm etc.. puck mostly. Or if you have several crowns that need a 14mm puck and some that need a 18mm puck, do you just run all in the 18mm? Thank you!
For the multilayer pucks, you need thicker pucks. We always get the 20mm pucks in every shade. This will give you more freedom to nest your crowns so you can maximize strength vs incisal transluceny for posteriors and anteriors. It also streamlines your inventory and makes ordering simpler. The 20 mm pucks also work for most full arch cases. When we were just using monochromatic zirconias, I had a stock of 12 and 14 mm pucks. You need at least 18 mm pucks to do the multilayer zirconias. I think 20 is the best for the reasons I stated above.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Great info thanks. Why do you use the prime on some cases instead?
Prior to HTML we did case in prime, mainly matching purposes. Otherwise we find the HTML to be better in shade value over prime and like the outcome we get with little effort. Prime is amazing material, and i have seen great finishes.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
For the multilayer pucks, you need thicker pucks. We always get the 20mm pucks in every shade. This will give you more freedom to nest your crowns so you can maximize strength vs incisal transluceny for posteriors and anteriors. It also streamlines your inventory and makes ordering simpler. The 20 mm pucks also work for most full arch cases. When we were just using monochromatic zirconias, I had a stock of 12 and 14 mm pucks. You need at least 18 mm pucks to do the multilayer zirconias. I think 20 is the best for the reasons I stated above.
You do know the difference insical trans areas between 14, 16, 18 and 20 is very little right? Mainly the gingival is the largest part, difference in insical transition area is like 1mm. They have a gradiant chart for nest. And in your DS cam you have the map in the nesting software, not a huge difference. I mainly use 14mm & 16mm for the C&B and taller as needed.

2oothguy

2oothguy

Reaction score
Prior to HTML we did case in prime, mainly matching purposes. Otherwise we find the HTML to be better in shade value over prime and like the outcome we get with little effort. Prime is amazing material, and i have seen great finishes.
Thank You!!

2oothguy

2oothguy

Reaction score
You do know the difference insical trans areas between 14, 16, 18 and 20 is very little right? Mainly the gingival is the largest part, difference in insical transition area is like 1mm. They have a gradiant chart for nest. And in your DS cam you have the map in the nesting software, not a huge difference. I mainly use 14mm & 16mm for the C&B and taller as needed.
Thanks for that info!

A

A. M.

Reaction score
I think you have to figure out yourself, what works for you! As we all did.
I use AG zirconia, I also tried other brands... some crap, some were good. But for us it works well that in one brand they have different types, low and high translucency, white or pre-shaded. One shade or layered. For me it saves time and effort that I can sinter them all together at the end of the day. It's a 6 hour cycle, unless for big cases. I even tried their 2 hour sintering, as I had a crazy rush case and it was good.
But I also have my tricks of playing with the shades. Like for the ML we only have the 16 and 20mm pucks. It gives me room to play with the color I want. I use the pre-shaded mostly, and I also paint them if I need.
I do not use their stains, I use a different brand but it works very well.
But when we get a new zirconia to try out, we do. Some companies give you free pucks... ask and you may get some.

M

MrNeverFixit

Reaction score
Our lab switch from Dentsply to Argen HT+ & STML. The tech are happy with the shade as it is a bit lighter than dentsply (which is dark). User preferences mostly. Like A.M said you have to figure it out. Plus if you buy it in bulk you get a free puck. Call them up ask for a sample to try out. I bet they would be happy to send you at least one.

2oothguy

2oothguy

Reaction score
Our lab switch from Dentsply to Argen HT+ & STML. The tech are happy with the shade as it is a bit lighter than dentsply (which is dark). User preferences mostly. Like A.M said you have to figure it out. Plus if you buy it in bulk you get a free puck. Call them up ask for a sample to try out. I bet they would be happy to send you at least one.
That's good info Thanks!! I will probably stay with them for now.

2oothguy

2oothguy

Reaction score
I think you have to figure out yourself, what works for you! As we all did.
I use AG zirconia, I also tried other brands... some crap, some were good. But for us it works well that in one brand they have different types, low and high translucency, white or pre-shaded. One shade or layered. For me it saves time and effort that I can sinter them all together at the end of the day. It's a 6 hour cycle, unless for big cases. I even tried their 2 hour sintering, as I had a crazy rush case and it was good.
But I also have my tricks of playing with the shades. Like for the ML we only have the 16 and 20mm pucks. It gives me room to play with the color I want. I use the pre-shaded mostly, and I also paint them if I need.
I do not use their stains, I use a different brand but it works very well.
But when we get a new zirconia to try out, we do. Some companies give you free pucks... ask and you may get some.
Hey thanks for that info. It will help me out for sure.

Top Bottom