Zirconia abutments & screw retained crowns

nik1618kin

nik1618kin

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

First serious and focused attempts to design and mill custom zirconia abutments and screw retained crowns. Here are some samples.
Our weapons: 3shape, Elos Accurate implant library, Sum3D (2013 version),Roland DWX-50.
Tools: 2mm ball, 1mm ball, 1mm flat, 0.6 ball, 0.6 flat and 0.03 ball.

About the attached pics: It's difficult to show every detail when you shoot zirconia...

Your opinion and feedback should be valuable for us
Many thanks!

3i screw retained crown(anatomical coping).jpg 3i.jpg Straumann RN on analog.jpg Zimmer Screwvent screw retained BruxZir crown.jpg Straumann RN.jpg
3i screw retained crown(anatomical coping).jpg 3i.jpg Straumann RN on analog.jpg Zimmer Screwvent screw retained BruxZir crown.jpg Straumann RN.jpg

k2 Ceramic Studio

k2 Ceramic Studio

Reaction score
The hex looks really clean, nice milling. My only question would be why........ If things go bad you have no one to fall back on and I just don't think its worth it. Ti interfaces are so cheap these days that it just makes more sense to mill the secondary section of the abutment and bond the two together. There is soooo much that can go wrong milling your own Zr abutments, over torquing by the surgeon, are you using Ht or Hs Zr as some of the HT stuff is weaker, are your .stl interface files compatible with the head design of the screw for Zr or Ti sometimes its tapered for Zr to reduce/distribute the load. Its a real minefield my friend and not one I would like to go through. As for the milling, like I sad the interface looks really nice. Not trying to criticize just showing concern.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
I'm with K2, full zirconia is very iffy. I know straumann does theirs in all ZR, But I personally think that the ZR takes a lot of stress, Ti interfaces are cheap and take the stress 100% better then the ZR, and if cemented properly you shouldn't have any issues. I give you mad props from getting such a clean hex mill on the ZR, you have the right tools and proper CAM software to pull it off, well done on that part, but I would feel more comfortable doing a ZR abut with a Ti interface. Even the Nobel ZR abutments have the screw sitting on the ZR but have the metal interface only for anti rotational purposes. But the full ZR abutments and screw retained crowns do make it easier as to were you don't need to wait till the very end to cement the interface on before it goes out the door and pray it doesn't come back for any type of shade of contact adjustments, cause then you have to re-glue the interface cause the glue burns off in the oven.

Oh and the first image the abutment has a nice undercut. :D

M

martintay

Reaction score
As above - and the first abutment looks undercut , maybe it`s the photo :)

nik1618kin

nik1618kin

Reaction score
Thank you all for the kind feedback and advice.

My opinion is that - under particular circumstances - it is possible to make succesful Zr abutments that last for a long time. It is definitely safer to work with Ti interface, I agree.

However, I must say that we dental technicians are here to suggest a solution to a dentist but we are not here to take the responsibility. This is a dentist's choice and this is his risk. I know many dental technicians who try to convince dentists to avoid dangerous solutions. But most of the times dentists make the wrong decision.
So we,as a lab, are going to suggest Zr abutments but only with their own risk...
Many thanks, again

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Have to attempted to mill any other full zirconia abutment platforms? The hex would seem to be the easiest one, what about the nobel tri-lobe?

nik1618kin

nik1618kin

Reaction score
Have to attempted to mill any other full zirconia abutment platforms? The hex would seem to be the easiest one, what about the nobel tri-lobe?
Well, we are in the middle of testing different platforms. But so far so good, I think...

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Thank you all for the kind feedback and advice.

My opinion is that - under particular circumstances - it is possible to make succesful Zr abutments that last for a long time. It is definitely safer to work with Ti interface, I agree.

However, I must say that we dental technicians are here to suggest a solution to a dentist but we are not here to take the responsibility. This is a dentist's choice and this is his risk. I know many dental technicians who try to convince dentists to avoid dangerous solutions. But most of the times dentists make the wrong decision.
So we,as a lab, are going to suggest Zr abutments but only with their own risk...
Many thanks, again

Not here!

I am responsible for all aspects of dental technology.
This is why I am a Registered Dental technologist.

nik1618kin

nik1618kin

Reaction score
Not here!

I am responsible for all aspects of dental technology.
This is why I am a Registered Dental technologist.

We are onliged and totally responsible to provide best quality services to dentists. A dental restoration has to be perfect until it is deliverered to the dental office's door. We don't know what is happening inside the dental office. And, of course we are not responsible for dentist's treatment on one of a restoration made by you or me.

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score

Nobel's trilobe is easiest to mill than 3i . I am using less tools for that , compared to 3i certain when I mill then out of Ti .

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
We are onliged and totally responsible to provide best quality services to dentists. A dental restoration has to be perfect until it is deliverered to the dental office's door. We don't know what is happening inside the dental office. And, of course we are not responsible for dentist's treatment on one of a restoration made by you or me.

I am legally responsible for my work.
I have a mandatory one million dollar mandatory errors and omission insurance policy. No insurance no license.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score

I am legally responsible for my work.
I have a mandatory one million dollar mandatory errors and omission insurance policy. No insurance no license.

Top Bottom