ZFX Ultramill?

P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
20k and 40HP with MONSTER tool-holder??

Tyler, that is not the correct spindle you should be looking at.

Have fun anyways!

If you studied the recommended RPMs and feeds for cutting Ti with 1mm and smaller tooling....you will quickly see that 20k is not enough.

Does not matter how much HP you have. The tool will have horrible life usage running them too slow of a feed and/or rpms.....

DT-1 is mainly made for Drilling and tapping holes in Mechanical application. You will not be using those features.

I think BioHorizons bought the wrong machine myself, but I have no idea what they bought it for in the first place?

I doubt they are going to be milling bars and abutments with it...? Maybe they will try?

A VF-1 or 2 with the faster spindle option would have been a much better choice for the $$. (I still think that is an over-kill in power.)

You have 3-phase power in your lab Tyler? 12' ceilings? 8' wide door to bring the mill into the building?

Kent...?

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
We've got the DT-1 cutting abutments very well right now, so I can't agree with you on that one Scott. It is for drilling and tapping, hence the D and T in the name. Haha. Who woulda thunk right? We have a VF2 with the rotary as well that will serve as backup. Heck, we might even find out that it will work much better on the VF2, but the max spindle speed on it is only 8100 RPM. We will see!

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
Correction...we have a VF1. Sorry about that. I could have sworn it was a VF2, but it still has the same max 8100 RPM.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I am not the One who you are arguing with. You are arguing with the majority of Aerospace and Medical CNC experts and tool manufactures. :)

I follow the tool manufacture recommendations for rpms and feeds for cutting Ti to get started, then I modify as needed for best results and tool life.

There is a correct way to cut Ti. I try to do that. Very well documented in many industries what works best.

Show me where it is suggested to use a tool, with diameter of 1mm or less at anything under 20,000rpms by ANY tool manufacture for cutting Ti.

You can cut it wrong all day if you want and say it works? I don't care?

Sounds like you guys also bought another wrong mill, and I don't know exactly why someone choose that mill??

The VF series should have the BT tooling option and the 30k spindle for Dental. You guys have it all wrong. Sorry.

This is what the Germans say about little tools and Ti.....(page 29) http://emuge.com/sites/default/files/ZP20068-Dental_Industry-Milling_Tools.pdf

A 1mm diameter tool cutting Ti should be somewhere near 28,500 rpm, and approx 850mm/m feed.

If you are going smaller than 1mm, then guess what? Yup, more RPMs.

Most all other tool manufactures have very similar suggested feeds and speeds.

So, we very often go over 25,000rpms and higher with Ti. It is the right way to do it.

Kent has found some other way I guess, but it is way outside "the Norm". I imagine his tool life is sucky?

Last edited:
KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
I didn't even check the specs on our actual machines. I just did a quick search on the HAAS website. All of the machines were purchased before I was hired in, so none of it was my decision. I honestly don't want to get into why we bought what we bought. It had nothing to do with me, I'm here to make what we have work. I'm open to suggestions if you have any, please. That's why I'm here, not to argue with you or anyone else on here of how to cut Ti or anything else. I come here to try to help people and receive help. You take everything too personally. I was just stating that so far what we have out of the HAAS is pretty good and we're happy with it. If you can help us in any way, I'd be glad to entertain any suggestions you may have. I've never claimed to know everything, but I do try to listen to other people who have experience. That's what LEARNING is. I've always been big on learning. That's what's gotten me where I am today, but I still have so much to learn!

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
HSC called high speed cutting all these low speed cutters are not build for what we are doing its no secret you need min 30000 rpm . You dont work with 10 mm shaft and 30 mm diameter bur with 30 teeth.

Circumferential speed !!!!!

Last edited:
DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks Kent for posting! (and others)

I am just trying to clear up some info on what type of mill is needed for milling Dental Titanium.

I am sure many many things may seem to work OK, but there may be a better option.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
Scott,

I do have a question. I'm planning on doing some finishing work around the collar with a .5mm tool, what speed and feed rates do you suggest for that tool?

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
HA! That's not an answer!

I know you have experience cutting Ti with the HAAS and I was wondering if you could help me out on that! See if I could tweak my speed and feed rates to cut more efficiently and more quickly.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Depends on geometry of tool (Flat, Torus, Ball),and the number of flutes, and the previous tool diameter, and the increment step, etc...
As well as the shape of the surface you are trying to create I guess?

We have to examine each little operation. Pull a chair up to the mill and get comfy. Get pen and paper and make notes...
Play with feeds and speeds a wee-bit to observe the effects. Try to listen for bad harmonics and tool getting stuffed into corner/deep pocket and overloaded. Close eyes and just listen for a while.

Some people have a goal of speed, some go for surface finish, and then the tool-life must be considered.

It is a balance of all three, and not the same for all situations.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
We're not pushing the machine too much at all. I've been really happy with the results we've gotten so far. My Manufacturing Engineer set it all up before I was hired in, so I would think that it's running the best it can run for our application. It never sounds like it bogs down or sounds funny at all.

Thanks for the suggestions and I appreciate the help. We'll look into all of the items you listed for tweaking our strategies and setups.