Y3, y4, y5 zirconia?

M

Michelle Egan

Reaction score
A dentist has recently been asking us about this and I'm not too sure what it means.

I know that a y3 is stronger/better than a y5 and the y is referring to the yttrium content of the zirconia but past that I don't really know anything. Out of the zirconia we use, I've been told that the ArgenZ ultra is a y3 and the ArgenZ ht+ is a y4.

Does anyone have any other information on this?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Generally 3y-tzp and 5y-tzp are just delineating that the yttria content is higher in 5y than 3y.

From what i remember, 3y mostly means 3 mol% and 5y 5 mol%

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
A dentist has recently been asking us about this and I'm not too sure what it means.

I know that a y3 is stronger/better than a y5 and the y is referring to the yttrium content of the zirconia but past that I don't really know anything. Out of the zirconia we use, I've been told that the ArgenZ ultra is a y3 and the ArgenZ ht+ is a y4.

As everyone has stated it has to do with the mole % of yttria. We add yttria to increase translucency by allowing the zirconia crystal to be stable in the cubic phase at room temperature, this increases the translucency. Generally speaking 3y is 100% Tetragonal phase, 4y is 75% tetragonal and 25% cubic, and 5y is about 50/50.

We also have to think about strength between these different y's. 3y is ~ 1100+MPa, 4y ~ 750-850MPa, and 5y ~ 550-650MPa. This is due to the loss of transformation toughening. Tetragonal phase zirconia when damaged goes through a phase transformation back to it's monoclinic phase crystal. When it does this it increases in volume by about 2.5%, this compresses the crack and stops it from propagating. Cubic phase crystals do not go through this phase transformation, thus allowing the crack to propagate through the restoration. This is why you see much lower flexural strength and fracture toughness values as the mole % increases.

M

mmbh

Reaction score

argen HT+ is type II class 5y according to their spec sheet.

K

KIM

Reaction score
argen HT+ is type II class 5y according to their spec sheet.
Just to be clear I don't think they are saying "Class 5y" zirconia on their spec sheet. They are referring to the ADA classification of "Class 5" which means it can be for single units up to full arch bridges. It is not referencing yttria content.

M

mmbh

Reaction score
maybe not but just quoting what is on spec sheet. "Type II/ Class 5".

M

mmbh

Reaction score
A lot of dentists have been asking this lately. I was told by a client that some of their CE classes have been addressing it. I think that is why the questions

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Glidewell is even selling some 8y stuff.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Not that it matters much. It only takes 1% to stabilize the zirc. Additional yttria wouldnt do much except to provide material as filler. The zirc grain size is what you need to control and that isnt accomplished with more yttria. In fact i would say in principal more yttria would contribute to fragility and chippiness.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Not that it matters much. It only takes 1% to stabilize the zirc. Additional yttria wouldnt do much except to provide material as filler. The zirc grain size is what you need to control and that isnt accomplished with more yttria. In fact i would say in principal more yttria would contribute to fragility and chippiness.
And we don't like Chippies.

S

Sally_

Reaction score

I'm working in a zirconia material factory, I would explain to you. 3Y means 3mol% yttrium stabilized zirconia, the translucency of 3Y powder is around 41%-43% for dental application, 4Y & 5Ymeans 4mol% &5mol%. The translucency of 4Y powder is around 45%, and around 50% of 5Y powder. The higher translucency of the powder, the better the aesthetic effect. But the sintered body of 3Y powder has higher flexrual strength around 1200MPA, 4Y around 1000MPa, 5Y around 800Mpa. ;)

K

KIM

Reaction score
I'm working in a zirconia material factory, I would explain to you. 3Y means 3mol% yttrium stabilized zirconia, the translucency of 3Y powder is around 41%-43% for dental application, 4Y & 5Ymeans 4mol% &5mol%. The translucency of 4Y powder is around 45%, and around 50% of 5Y powder. The higher translucency of the powder, the better the aesthetic effect. But the sintered body of 3Y powder has higher flexrual strength around 1200MPA, 4Y around 1000MPa, 5Y around 800Mpa. ;)
I would just like to add that too much translucency is a bad thing as it results in restorations being too low in value in the mouth. They look great on the model but not in the mouth. Many (Not all) 5Y ZR's tend to be a bit too low in value..It seems that "4Y" has a good balance between strength and translucency. Is anyone playing around with "Multi-Strength" ZR's in their labs? 3Y or 4Y on the bottom, 5Y on the top?

user name

user name

Reaction score
What is Katana STML...4y?
Im curious about @AlienMilling Extreem (4y) and their Stardust (4y/5y),and how they compare to Katana.
Anyone use their products?

J

Jeremiah Jelte

Reaction score
Shades are better than Katana and translucency is nice, try Upcera Explore series they are 3y,4y and 4y,5y

J

Jeremiah Jelte

Reaction score
Chinese propagandist.
Nice, you did know that a majority if your zirconias are either manufactured in China or are manufactured with Chinese powder, and what you said is shameful and I would consider a racist comment