Working times for each task in a Removable lab

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
I am passionate about what I do, and frequently see peers who don't seem to care about the person at the end of each thing we make, the patient! We are a part of a health care service system, so we are essentially 'caring for people'. Too many simply don't care.
The person at the end is the dentist, he writes the check. He gets his money from caring for HIS patient.

Some peers don't care because they have constantly been asked to come down $12 on a crown or be cast aside. Some peers don't care because all the nit picking and remakes they've put up with for decades suddenly doesn't matter anymore when then dentist bought a Cerac and makes $50 blocks into $900 crowns.

Some peers don't care because the dental lab has been treated like the red headed step child to the point, that nobody wants to choose this as a new exciting career. Just come in the back door and don't let the patient see "the lab bill".

Some peers don't care because the only support from "The Industry" is new multi thousand dollar equipment and software subscriptions that become obsolete or quit working in 18 months.

I'm not being out of line at all by creating standards for my business or my employees... Show me any successful company that doesn't do this.
This mindset is what provides the community a better standard of service
No your not out of line, it's your business.

Last edited:
TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
The person at the end is the dentist, he writes the check. He gets his money from caring for HIS patient.
I don't necessarily agree with that statement. The way you write it means we as the lab have no invested value in THE PATIENT. This is where I disagree, I think we lab folks have a lot of vested value...especially when the Doc takes the time to explain the back story, send pictures, use us in the diagnostic or tx planning, meet the patient. For instance, I did a FMR last week and the Doc chuckled with me because I call them 'Legacy cases' because we are beholden to that patient forever now. So to imply it's only a monetary transaction between us and the Doc and that the patient has no influence whatsoever is not my take. It's fine to disagree, just my gist on what happens in my lab.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
I don't necessarily agree with that statement. The way you write it means we as the lab have no invested value in THE PATIENT. This is where I disagree, I think we lab folks have a lot of vested value...especially when the Doc takes the time to explain the back story, send pictures, use us in the diagnostic or tx planning, meet the patient. For instance, I did a FMR last week and the Doc chuckled with me because I call them 'Legacy cases' because we are beholden to that patient forever now. So to imply it's only a monetary transaction between us and the Doc and that the patient has no influence whatsoever is not my take. It's fine to disagree, just my gist on what happens in my lab.
I'm being snarky....At the end of the day, you know and I know that us veterans care more for the patients outcome than the dentist himself., because most can't be bothered retaking impressions or even looking at something.
But this isn't a good business example, its the sad reflection of healthcare itself.

Raise your fees too high, and you'll find how important we are to their practice.

Now I have Ace clients too, but I've seen a lot of crap over the decades from others.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I'm being snarky....At the end of the day, you know and I know that us veterans care more for the patients outcome than the dentist himself., because most can't be bothered retaking impressions or even looking at something.
But this isn't a good business example, its the sad reflection of healthcare itself.

Raise your fees too high, and you'll find how important we are to their practice.

Now I have Ace clients too, but I've seen a lot of crap over the decades from others.
I figured as much, but others here wouldn't take it that way and you are spot on about the prices and crap. Now we give them a new tool (scanner) and think they will magically be better at that then taking impressions...I swear some days, I think we just must hate ourselves.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I figured as much, but others here wouldn't take it that way and you are spot on about the prices and crap. Now we give them a new tool (scanner) and think they will magically be better at that then taking impressions...I swear some days, I think we just must hate ourselves.
It’s like being type cast as Ned Beatty in Deliverance.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
Like the other thread about the turquoise crown...This is what mouth doctors are for??????

Chalky

Chalky

Reaction score
I think we have all seen a gradual decline in quality over the past few years/decades, which really disappoints me - because this is global, not local!
We can do a couple of things with this... remain top quality and charge accordingly or charge less to be competitive and send out sh!t work. I choose the former.
I've incorporated digital workflows where I see them being of value (yes the bank owns most of the gear!),but I still have years left in my career, so I want to be relevant and competitive too. It is only business, but the paradox is that it is a 'care' related business. I have told one of my closest and biggest clients ' you care for the patients, and I actually are about them enough to do right by them', which is absolutely the case.
We need to adapt to the digital age, but also recognize when digital is not the best option... research this crap out of it and be educated enough to inform your clients of why and how you do things, which is what I do.
Good skilled technicians are like unicorns and inspired, enthusiastic new staff are even rarer to find! Sometimes to survive you need to adapt to the environment. We all do this differently.
It is a unique time to be in this industry, because most of us 25+year technicians have been in the middle of the evolution of the digital age of the industry.

I think most of us have thought about jumping ship at some stage and getting a real job Laugh

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
Good thing Lewis brought a bow.... It could have been a real party.

Last edited: