Why my 3shape scanned bite com out wrong ???

VinnieCDT

VinnieCDT

Reaction score
Any one using 3Shape D2000 and often have bites scanned come out wrong ? My main issue is with doing full anterior cases 6-11 5-12 always off by a few mm . If so how do we correct this ?

npdynamite

npdynamite

Reaction score
You will need to share more of your process. There are a number of things that can happen and a number of different solutions depending on your specific situation. For starters, are you scanning your models articulated for that step or are you using the articulator scan plates?

VinnieCDT

VinnieCDT

Reaction score
Ok so we are making models and then articulating on a vertex articulator then rubber band them and scan the bite . Is there a better way to make sure the bite is right ? I was thinking make a putty bite then cut it so you can see the prep and opposing through the bite . Then scan as bite . This way it would show if it was open , will that work ?

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Just thinking off the cuff, but could you mark in red pencil a orientation line in a couple of spots across both arches, enable texture scan, and make sure the lines line up in the bite scan? If needed move your orientation dots a bit and re-calculate? I've gotten away from rubber bands, and use a low temp glue stick wax to hold the arches together. Low temp, as I can use my little plastic Buffalo alcohol torch to heat up the wax, compared to using a glue gun.

For anterior bridges, a lot of times I mill a wax up to confirm everything is where I want it, as well as see my design flaws, then re-design from there and mill out of zirconia.

npdynamite

npdynamite

Reaction score
what you are saying may work in terms of confirming the problem, and even give you something to use to manually align. But, this will definitely hurt the workflow so I would pursue a true fix. I would definitely look closely at your rubber banding, I have seen too much pressure in the wrong place create bites that are open in spots. I have used both rubber bands and low temp hot glue for this process, I found that for all but very stable simple cases, I use glue.

Back in the day, I'm thinking 2011-2013 time frame, I had a situation where on one specific computer, no matter what was done it seemed, between the scan and design step the models would "lose" their articulation and would be off constantly. I believe it was either an issue specific to the computer or to do with the specific scanserver software version that for whatever reason didn't like that computer. 3Shape said it was our scanner and they sent us a loaner scanner, which the problem persisted on. All that said, if you eliminate all physical possibilities, don't rule out that it is simply a software error. If this is the case you will want to get a good tech support agent who can help you try solutions, such as different scanserver/scansuite versions. If you have another computer with the specs to handle 3Shape, try switching computers. It has been a long time but I have seen 3Shape scan issues that are caused by the computer, even on a computer provided by 3Shape.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
what you are saying may work in terms of confirming the problem, and even give you something to use to manually align. But, this will definitely hurt the workflow so I would pursue a true fix. I would definitely look closely at your rubber banding, I have seen too much pressure in the wrong place create bites that are open in spots. I have used both rubber bands and low temp hot glue for this process, I found that for all but very stable simple cases, I use glue.

Good point, as Vinnie said, "always off" so it needs to be looked into more in depth, as you posted in the 2nd paragraph.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
We use hot glue on all our models before scanning. Even with that, I find I need to adjust the occlusion in design. It's my first step before I start working on the crown design. I usually use the Optimize Occlusion function first and that works most of the time to tighten up the bite properly. If that isn't satisfactory, I will manually close the bite until I see contact points that look like what I see in the actual models.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
scan the bite registration instead of the opposing.

Top Bottom