Why a patent case about teeth is center of digital piracy debate

Glenn Kennedy

Glenn Kennedy

Reaction score
This is an interesting Wall Street Journal article regarding data transmission and a lawsuit between Align Technologies and ClearCorrect.

http://on.wsj.com/1OJdeIS

-Glenn

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I don't think you can see the article without a subscription. At least I can't seem to.

C

charles007

Reaction score
Correct, you must subscribe :(

Glenn Kennedy

Glenn Kennedy

Reaction score
If you go to WSJ.com and do a search "imports of digital goods face test" the article should come up without a subscription. I used the share link in the article which must translate into a subscription pitch to anyone who uses the link.

Basically ClearCorrect was sending scan data to Pakistan for design and then the digital data was being sent back to them for mfg in the U.S. Align technologies has a patent infringement claim against cc and claimed this was cc's way of trying to get around it. CC claims they are only moving data and not goods so the ITC has no right to limit or stop their work. The case is important because it questions if electronic data can and should be controlled just like goods. IE if fake handbags are stopped at the border why shouldn't intellectual property like songs, movies or design data (that allegedly violates a U.S. company's patents) also be stopped?

Discuss.

PearlZ

PearlZ

Reaction score
this has implications for sending cases overseas to be "designed" and sent back.

since only data is transferred it is identical in nature to the case in question.

this is opening up a big can of worms.

lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
Imagine if one day someone ships scan data of full arch impressions en masse to another country, say Canada,
to process and design, then send back to you to mill the prosthesis over here - would you be subject to
the same problem from the implant company who want you to use their original parts?
Wait, is this even worth the back and forth since most people can already to this on your own.
Except for the small labs who are at the mercy of milling centers who act like they are
kings/queens and treat them badly because they don't have enough cases/clout with the milling centers.
Just had my lab guy fume over milling center who insist on cashier's order before they will give
him the custom abutment I requested. Long story . . .
LCM

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
If you go to WSJ.com and do a search "imports of digital goods face test" the article should come up without a subscription. I used the share link in the article which must translate into a subscription pitch to anyone who uses the link.

Basically ClearCorrect was sending scan data to Pakistan for design and then the digital data was being sent back to them for mfg in the U.S. Align technologies has a patent infringement claim against cc and claimed this was cc's way of trying to get around it. CC claims they are only moving data and not goods so the ITC has no right to limit or stop their work. The case is important because it questions if electronic data can and should be controlled just like goods. IE if fake handbags are stopped at the border why shouldn't intellectual property like songs, movies or design data (that allegedly violates a U.S. company's patents) also be stopped?

Discuss.

this has implications for sending cases overseas to be "designed" and sent back.

since only data is transferred it is identical in nature to the case in question.

this is opening up a big can of worms.

This has been happening for some time, it is just now getting to the civilian level. A company called DistributedDefence that makes designs for weapon parts for 3d printers was stopped from hosting downloads of their own designs by the US gov't. They were told quite explicitly that if their single shot handgun plans were not taken down that they would be tried for exporting weapons without a license, and if they pushed it the charges would be added of:
exporting weapons to countries on the terrorist/watch/embargo lists and giving aid and comfort to %insert bad guy% and %insert radical%.

They were not willing to find out if they would win in court of law, or get Guantanamo time.