Why 3D printing will replace milling

P

paulg100

Reaction score
"By going to 3shape, you just wiped out 3/4 of your data."

Yeah but still want the best software (ie 3shape),or is it easy to import lava scan data into 3shape dental designer now without having to use hacks or pay $$$ for dongles / unlocks.

"If a doc sends you s--t work than you may have garbage in garbage out."

Oh and that aint the issue, this is the average prep/imp quality i get from my main client (me brother ;) )

aimg804.imageshack.us_img804_527_img0005qe.jpg

Crystal clear margins and smooth chamfered preps...text book. Cant remember the last time i even needed to section a model for a bridge... Ahhh bliss.

But you would be right Bob, for all our mainstream clients it would not justify the extra hassle and expense as the imps/preps arnt up to it.

the ZFX site looks interesting.. Their ZFX Scan III looks like its based on white strip light, like the new Delcam scanner? dont like the look of the CAD software though.

Last edited:
BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
Scott's absolutely correct.
No question you can easily get fits eqal to cast or pressed from a Lava mill.
B

k2 Ceramic Studio

k2 Ceramic Studio

Reaction score
Happy to do you a free coping or bridge anytime Paul, milling is my passion and I take every case very personaly and feel I have let myself and the customer down if it does not turn out right ALL work is sat down under 10x magnification and we never send out a poor fit even with crap prep margins. I Spent a lot of time and effort making sure we bought the best milling system at the time, and still feel it is one of the best around. Our Lab to Lab work is sat down by me not a paid employee but by the guy who gets a kick out of a customer ringing up saying how good that case fitted.

P

paulg100

Reaction score
Thanks pete

Could you PM me your lab 2 lab fees.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
No more support for that model printer.

It is only worth a couple thousand.

You'd need Three or Four to make one good running unit.

I have played with these, and they are BIG and heavy.

Not too many used printers on the market this year.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Crap, thought I had found something...

A

alwin

Reaction score
I would agree with Avi, if only -

1. metal printing (aka SLS) becomes faster rather and more cost effective
2. Objet actually comes out with a castable material rather than abandoning the project
3. Avi you let me talk directly to your engineers so I can get the feature size of our Objets down to something more usable

Interest declaration: I'm running 2 Objet prints, also a couple of 3DSystem ProJets

X

Xydorf

Reaction score
Fantastic preps!!

"By going to 3shape, you just wiped out 3/4 of your data."

Yeah but still want the best software (ie 3shape),or is it easy to import lava scan data into 3shape dental designer now without having to use hacks or pay $$$ for dongles / unlocks.

"If a doc sends you s--t work than you may have garbage in garbage out."

Oh and that aint the issue, this is the average prep/imp quality i get from my main client (me brother ;) )

Crystal clear margins and smooth chamfered preps...text book. Cant remember the last time i even needed to section a model for a bridge... Ahhh bliss.

But you would be right Bob, for all our mainstream clients it would not justify the extra hassle and expense as the imps/preps arnt up to it.

the ZFX site looks interesting.. Their ZFX Scan III looks like its based on white strip light, like the new Delcam scanner? dont like the look of the CAD software though.

Fantastic preps! I wish I could prep like that ... does your brother have any advice?

Regards

Dr. John

M

MarcoV

Reaction score
I've been reading lots of envisiontec .pdfs and data sheets. But I cannot find out the minimum wall thickness for many of the materials such as HTM140IV. I need to 3d print a structure with 80 micron wide columbs sandwiched between two 200 micron thick square pads. The columns between the pads will be 80-150 microns in diameter. Is this possible with envisiontec materials?

Thank you

WDL-Cali-Cad-Man

WDL-Cali-Cad-Man

Reaction score
Hi DMG what's the model of the 3M scanner your taking about ? thanks

M

MrProStreet

Reaction score
How about Solid Scape?........I have a 3 shape, been looking at the Roland mill. Talked to a owner in N.C. About the Solid Scape......said it was " quirky". Didn't sound like she would buy it again. Any opinions would be appreciated. Heading to Lab Day West this weekend.

AltreX

AltreX

Reaction score
Hey guys! Speaking abaut better fitting - take a look to VHF produced desktop milling CNC's . I have tryed out one air cooled 4x selled by zfx. My experience:
Good fitting, free to choose zirconia blanks from other companies (40-140 euros),easy CAM, middle priced burs ( 20-50 euros ). Afcourse if speaking abaut time consumed and bur life - for plastic and wax 3D printing is MORE cost effective, especialy with difficult shapes and preparations. In other hand - I was amassed abaut quality of zirconia fitting wich can be compared side by side with hi end machines.

prestige.dental

prestige.dental

Reaction score
Pros and cons

Object versus projet3500

Is mojo of any dental use.