Why 3D printing will replace milling

A

Avi Cohen

Reaction score
One of the questions that I often get asked is “how does 3D printing compare with milling?” To my mind, that’s lot like asking “how do social networks compare with email?” The two are similar, but social networks (like our beloved Dental Lab Network) offer vastly different advantages over conventional email.

The same holds true with 3D printing, I think, and it’s not just because I work at Objet that I say this. I think anyone who looks at the market will agree that digital dentistry is the future. More specifically, there are six reasons why 3D printing is a cost-effective alternative to milling:
1. Printing can reproduce complex shapes without requiring special strategies or use of special parameters to compensate for the size of the cutting tool
2. Curves, holes and more complex shapes are easier and more accurately reproduced with 3D printing.
3. Printers do not require burs. The nature of the printing itself gives excellent detail with out the constraints of the size of the smallest bur. There is nothing to break or change. The need to order and keep burs in stock is eliminated
4. Printing reproduces the object to be printed exactly as designed without waste.
5. You can print multiple parts at the same time.
6. Very easy to learn and operate. Requires very little training time

You can read more here: http://ow.ly/3R7Cy
Thoughts?
Avi

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
No expensive time consuming CAM!!!

No spruing. (auto-support generation)

No toling needed for ulta crazy shapes.

Unlimited geometry options for parts

10x faster than milling! More efficient.

Scott

E

elite1

Reaction score
Avi,

I think we need to understand the mechanics of printing first. If we are printing materials that are already light cured or sprayed then yes this is the most efficient of manufacturing. I did some testing on printed zirconia. This zirconia was light cured. I found that even with lowering the micron build envelope, that I still received linear cracks after sintering. Zirconia is not a light cured material and is very difficult to cure through. The resin is mainly the bonding agent that would hold that material together. This agent is somewhat like a resign in a “green state block” and will need a specific long sintering cycle.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Who mentioned Zirconia??

I take it you have an envisiontec and tried the Zirconia soup?

I knew that would never work. For now, we only have wax, plastics, and metals. Maybe ceramics soon?

Last edited:
araucaria

araucaria

Balanced
Reaction score
3D - It's the future - this is how it's gonna be taught in college soon.

ai52.tinypic.com_2iv1wxw.jpg
:D
ai52.tinypic.com_2iv1wxw.jpg

brutal85

brutal85

Reaction score
[YOUTUBE]<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oyZxzkd-Jsk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
brutal85

brutal85

Reaction score
Thanks for that.. :)
I knew, I was doing something wrong :p

A

Avi Cohen

Reaction score
Mechanics of printing

Avi,

I think we need to understand the mechanics of printing first. If we are printing materials that are already light cured or sprayed then yes this is the most efficient of manufacturing. I did some testing on printed zirconia. This zirconia was light cured. I found that even with lowering the micron build envelope, that I still received linear cracks after sintering. Zirconia is not a light cured material and is very difficult to cure through. The resin is mainly the bonding agent that would hold that material together. This agent is somewhat like a resign in a “green state block” and will need a specific long sintering cycle.

3D printing is a form of**Additive Manufacturing*technology where a*three*dimensional object is created by laying down successive layers of material.

3D printing is *generally faster, more affordable and easier to use than other additive manufacturing technologies.*3D printing systems*from Objet, can *print parts and assemblies made of several materials with different mechanical and physical properties in a single build process.

Advanced 3D printing technologies yield models that closely emulate the look, feel and functionality of the real product. Objet’s method of 3D printing consists of an*inkjet printing*technology. The 3D printing system creates the model one layer at a time by spreading a layer of UV curable*resins. The process is repeated until every layer is printed.

J

jamie newlands

Reaction score
hi guys, interesting post and comments. Of those of you who are printing press patterns etc what systems are you using?

thanks

Jamie

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
3D Systems printers.

They require a mechanic to be on-call, but they really crank out some teeth!

Crazy amount of output when working right! You want to see a printed pattern from your design? No charge! I'll be glad to print some and send it to ya.

We print 100 a day along with Jewelry and Partial-Dentures and other things.
200 units every Five-Six hours or so is possible.

The 3D Systems material is hard at room temp. It actualy contains real wax mixed with plastic resin and is jetted out HOT. A UV Lamp then cures the resin. It burns out cleaner than the envisiontec 100% Plastic material IMO. Better for thick Full-Anatomy patterns for pressing. Less chance of cracked investment during burn-out. Cleaner burn-out.

Objet has cool patents on plastics and rubbers. I think they will be the ones to make a Denture printer. Also printing Models may be an Objet specialty. 3D Systems also has a model printer, but sales are slow.

Last edited:
dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score

Quote me to see how I posted your link.

Scott

That kid was awesome, funny funny funny, and very entertaining. The lady at the end though, wasnt quite sure if she was crying or having the big"O"

S

smiledesigner713

Reaction score
I work for cbct imaging center, and we currently send out our impressions to be poured in scan stone. I would love to print those in house, and also print the scans we send to Materialize. Can your printer do both?

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
Hi all,
Printing may be the way of the future. It definitely works with a small number of applications for the dental lab. Wax patterns to pres or cast probably has the best ROI.
When it comes to model production there are a few hurdles to evaluate before jumping in.

1. Controlling the accuracy of every model and die. Like any piece of equiptment a printer can stray from exact tolerances. If you are working on a digital model in an analog workflow the model must consistantly be very accurate. You need to build in a way to know 100% that the models are printed correctly.
2. Models tend to be one of the lower value products produced in the lab. That said, what are you guys willing to pay for a model kit? The manufacturers of the printers have everything priced so high the ROI doesn't seem to work.
3. The liability of producing inaccurate models. Have you ever changed die stone and you get a call from a dentist saying the new stone is no good? Well, I am afraid that when cases don't fit everyone is going to blame this new model manufacturing process. Regardless of the actual reason.
So, let me ask you all one more time.
WHAT WOULD YOU BE WILLING TO PAY FOR A DIGITAL MODEL?

F

first3D

Reaction score
100% agree with ***, we usually make one run in the morning, and one in the afternoon with an average of 100 Copings/bridges per run, and usually takes aout 4-5hrs.
Problem is that if you don't have a dealer nearby, it can take up to a week before you see somebody to show up to fix your printer.
But at the end quality and accuracy are amazing!!!

P

paulg100

Reaction score
"I think anyone who looks at the market will agree that digital dentistry is the future"

Yep but whens this future gonna happen?

im slowly having to go back to doing everything with traditional techniques at the moment as its the only way i can get the fits i need.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
Hi Paulg,
I am not sure what you have tried to produce in a digital workflow that has resulted is less than acceptable fit. I know milling files that produce restorations for decent preps can routinely fit great. If a doc sends you s--t work than you may have garbage in garbage out.
Part of this is access to materials that just can't work with in the analog approach. With gold around $1700 zirconia has become the fastest growing product in the US. my Ivoclar rep was in this week. According to Ivoclar, full contour Zi is now growing at a 30% clip. In this economy it's very difficult not to embrace thiss.
Bob

P

paulg100

Reaction score
are there any machines that can mill zirconia that fits like cast gold or pressed glass yet?

Or is it more a limitation of zirconia rather than the mills?

Hopefully i can get a 3shape some time soon and start searching around. Maybe i can find a milling center with a high end roeders or something that can get me the fits im looking for.

Dont think theres any one in the UK with this kind of kit yet...Colin?

"I am not sure what you have tried to produce in a digital workflow that has resulted is less than acceptable fit"

What do you call acceptable Bob?

in my book something close to 40um ideally.

Not the 100um + fits that i see (ie margins open by eye in some areas),in zirconia, DMLS copings and glass( Lithium disilicate, etc)

"I am not sure what you have tried to produce in a digital workflow"

Pretty much everything, been using CAD/CAM for around 15 years now and milling in house for over 10.

Last edited:
DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
You want amazing fits...then start with a 3M scanner and send to 3m mill or DMG, or Roeders, or Mikron. That's the Merdedes Benz of this sh1t for now. The CAM operator should also not downgrade or reduce the mesh data to speed up his job. Very tempting! You may not know this is happening!

By going to 3shape, you just wiped out 3/4 of your data.

There are DMG mills in the UK (I think?) . zFX crew is pushing this.

Don't expect a fit any better than 3M Lava on any Zirconia. Very easy to prove this. You need a BIG mill with 1uM German Glass Scales. This tells the machine the physical location of the main axis during movement. Most mills have 5um or 10um encoders/scales. This size of the mill absolutly is directly related to the accuracy of the mill and the max speed of cutting. DMG and Roeders has Linear magnetic drives that do not produce heat that would make the mill's parts expand and get sloppy. Parts move by non-contact magnetic drive like a mono-rail train. The magnetic drive plates are actually liquid cooled, even though they do not touch the moving parts. On the other end of the spectrum is the Roland mill, Made from old fooseball table parts and skateboard wheel ballbearings in the spindle. LOL

Google Translate

Last edited: