White Light vs Red Laser

harmonylab

harmonylab

Reaction score
The Steinbichler Optiks boasts a data point spacing of 60uM, and I believe it.
The Solutionix scanner is not telling the truth, and the spacing is more like 80uM.

3Shape scanners are more like 250uM data point spacing. OK, so each data point is +/- 25uM (that's where they tell you it's a 25 micron scanner.....Bull5hit.) They forget to tell you that there is 250 microns of no information what so ever in between these data points that are supposedly 25 micron accurate.

Easy to prove!

so there's no standardized method of measuring a scanner's accuracy, eh? ugh... it's as bad as lcd monitor marketing

P

paulg100

Reaction score
"Easy to prove!"

So is there any way i can find out the point spacing on a sirona ineos scan?

(once its converted to stl)

disturbed

disturbed

Disturbing Member
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong Jay, I am not looking for the cheapest thing on the market. Just because something costs more does not mean its better though. I work under a microscope as I'm sure a lot of you do. I do this because I want the most accuracy possible. Does 10 micron difference matter? I don't know, but I will certainly take that extra 5 to 10 microns in accuracy if available. Wouldn't you?

:amen:

JayH

JayH

Geek
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong Jay, I am not looking for the cheapest thing on the market. Just because something costs more does not mean its better though. I work under a microscope as I'm sure a lot of you do. I do this because I want the most accuracy possible. Does 10 micron difference matter? I don't know, but I will certainly take that extra 5 to 10 microns in accuracy if available. Wouldn't you?
disturbed said:

If that's the case guys, I have some IMAV scanners that cost about $80k in parts alone. They're about eight feet tall, three feet wide and three feet deep and weigh about 1200-1500 pounds. I guarantee they'll get you that last 5 or 10 microns. Throw in assembly, transport, and a modest markup for my trouble and I'll let you have one for oh, let's say ninety five grand.

PM me for details on how to make out the check. :cool:

and PS. They're laser scanners...

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Lol Jay! Obviously that's a pretty extreme stretch of what I meant:). Two scanners close to the same price, one is slightly more accurate..... I'll take it;) not trying to get in a spitting match just trying to learn. You obviously are sold on 3shape, I may be as well very soon. Just curious if white light is more accurate. If it is than why in the world would someone be opposed to it? Especially at the price? That's all I am trying to see.

JayH

JayH

Geek
Reaction score
Lol Jay! Obviously that's a pretty extreme stretch of what I meant:). Two scanners close to the same price, one is slightly more accurate..... I'll take it;) not trying to get in a spitting match just trying to learn. You obviously are sold on 3shape, I may be as well very soon. Just curious if white light is more accurate. If it is than why in the world would someone be opposed to it? Especially at the price? That's all I am trying to see.

I don't know why people think I'm sold on 3Shape. Let me state for the record: I am a 3Shape user because that's the model that fits the business.

My point here is not to tout one process, or one system over the other. It's to say that there's no simple answer to the question as stated. I participated in a study (referenced here,) that compared the TDS laser scanner to the Lava ST scanner and found the laser scanner (slightly) significantly more accurate! There are so many variables to consider however: the "dies" being scanned - their shapes, the accuracy of the determined margin, the use (or non-use) of scanning spray...

This technology is like any other. Decide what you want to spend first, then go out and get what you can for it, as long as it's a name in the mainstream of the industry.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
ZFX is touting +/- 5 micron accuracy with the Rexcan DS2...

k2 Ceramic Studio

k2 Ceramic Studio

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I have never used a 3hape so can not give an opinion on one but we do have two white light scanners Scan eco and Scan Pro, have been using the Scan Pro for over 6 years and we always get really great fits even with crap prep margins, I think you get what you pay for. Or it could just be down to luck, this is a bit of info from the website - all I can say is that the fits are always good.

* For inlays, onlays, veneers, coping, full crowns and bridge frameworks up to 14 components (depending on geometry)
* High-end CCD camera Resolution: 1 392 x 1 040 pixels 4-times greater image resolution
* Topometric 3-D measurement process
* Measurement field width 60 x 80 mm
* Measurement duration per stump: 3 minutes
* Digital transmission of scan data
* Extremely high measurement precision of < 20 μm
* Scanning of dies and wax provisionals
* Easy access through vertically opening front hatch with one-handed operation
* Light beam projector
* Removable object holder

This link takes you to the guys that built the scan Pro 6+years ago and what they CAN DO TODAY, a great site, if you are a geek then you will love it.

Product Overview - Breuckmann GmbH - topometrische 3d Scanner

Last edited:
Top Bottom