Which Separator is best for 3D models

ArtOrthoWendy

ArtOrthoWendy

Reaction score
First off let me thank everyone who replied to my thread over the past… probably year about receiving itero files to my 3shape. The advice was great and I am now editing and sending out for printed models full time.
Out of you all who have worked with printed models, what have you found to be the best separator?
Silicone based is one thing I have come across. Do they need to sit overnight.
Through a basic internet search this one popped up:
JBC'S BEST EVER SEPARATOR - WORKS WITH 3D MODELS!
https://jbcandcompany.com/shopexd.asp?id=721

Any first had recommendations?
Thanks guys!

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
for 8.50 try it out! Are you you making ortho appliances on the printed model?

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
what do you use now?

ArtOrthoWendy

ArtOrthoWendy

Reaction score
what do you use now?

For our plaster/stone models we use Masel blue alginate from OSE.
Ive tried that as well as liquid foil (from great lakes) on the plastic models. Both of those didn't work for me and the acrylic and plastic model became one.

I actually tried petroleum jelly earlier today and it worked great! A bit messy though but if that's what I have to use. I'm looking forward to trying out the one I mentioned above though.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I would think a silicone spray would work well also

ArtOrthoWendy

ArtOrthoWendy

Reaction score
I would think a silicone spray would work well also

Thats what I figure I should look for, something silicone based.
We did try a tri-epoxy mold release spray from OSE that is silicone base. It didn't work for us though, even after 4 coats. The stuff from JBC I'm waiting on though is silicone base also, so I'm just waiting to try it.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Thats what I figure I should look for, something silicone based.
We did try a tri-epoxy mold release spray from OSE that is silicone base. It didn't work for us though, even after 4 coats. The stuff from JBC I'm waiting on though is silicone base also, so I'm just waiting to try it.
What result did you get from that spray?

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
I design everything Digitally so no separator is needed unless on some inlays and veneers, then it is die spacer and then die lube. Printed models are pretty tough for working on. No need to seal them IMO, but that depends on the material your models are printed with.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
You design any ortho appliances sevan? or are retainers possible in appliance designer?

Rainbow Machine

Rainbow Machine

Reaction score
First off let me thank everyone who replied to my thread over the past… probably year about receiving itero files to my 3shape. The advice was great and I am now editing and sending out for printed models full time.
Out of you all who have worked with printed models, what have you found to be the best separator?

Thanks guys!

Any good news with JBC's separator? Do the models needs to sit overnight? Any tips/tricks you can pass on?

LuthorCorp

LuthorCorp

Reaction score
For our plaster/stone models we use Masel blue alginate from OSE.
Ive tried that as well as liquid foil (from great lakes) on the plastic models. Both of those didn't work for me and the acrylic and plastic model became one.

I actually tried petroleum jelly earlier today and it worked great! A bit messy though but if that's what I have to use. I'm looking forward to trying out the one I mentioned above though.

We are mainly Ortho for our models, and we use Cold Mold Separator, Silicon Spray, and sometimes Vaseline. We make Retainers, Clear aligners, Hyrax's, even splints one our digital models with no issue. Our main one is the Cold Mold Separator, it works great.

E

eevee

Reaction score
We are mainly Ortho for our models, and we use Cold Mold Separator, Silicon Spray, and sometimes Vaseline. We make Retainers, Clear aligners, Hyrax's, even splints one our digital models with no issue. Our main one is the Cold Mold Separator, it works great.

Where did you get the Cold Mold Separator?

LuthorCorp

LuthorCorp

Reaction score
Where did you get the Cold Mold Separator?

Honestly I am not too sure where they order it from, but I would image pretty much any supplier should have something similar.

capickettcdt

capickettcdt

Reaction score
Honestly I am not too sure where they order it from, but I would image pretty much any supplier should have something similar.
If you could find out for us this would be great!! We've tested a few and found that Vaseline is the better option.....

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Maybe Lab Guy can chime in on the benefits of using Vaseline.
I hear he was in the Navy .

M

Maggie H

Reaction score
We use Siliform Bea separator form Trigroup, it works great, just very expensive.

M

Maggie H

Reaction score
we do a lot indirect bonding trays, that is the onlything we are using.....

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
4oz for $265?? I dont see why normal silicone spray would be any different..

D

Dena Engel

Reaction score

Thanks guys!

Can you let us know about the JBC separator? I'm interested and I order from them quite a bit.