which scanner?

CRWNMKR

CRWNMKR

Reaction score
If shopping for a scanner today, which one would you purchase? open system? I am a newbie in this digital era so I am looking for some help. We are looking to cad emax crowns , zirc copings and bridges, implant abutments, long term temps., overdenture bars, the works
?????:confused:. thank you for your help,Dennis

S

ShowMe

Reaction score
shopping for a scanner

If shopping for a scanner today, which one would you purchase? open system? I am a newbie in this digital era so I am looking for some help. We are looking to cad emax crowns , zirc copings and bridges, implant abutments, long term temps., overdenture bars, the works

Hey Dennis,

Open system is the way to go. And 3Shape is hands down the IPhone to the dental lab industry.

Are you currently outsourcing any of the mentioned work?

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score

3 Shape.

Last edited:
user name

user name

Reaction score
MARK...Do you know anything about Delcam/iMetric scanners? Also, what do you hear,think or imagine is going to be the next 'big' thing? <Im thinking materials-wise, but dont feel limited in responding. Thanks

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
MARK...Do you know anything about Delcam/iMetric scanners? Also, what do you hear,think or imagine is going to be the next 'big' thing? <Im thinking materials-wise, but dont feel limited in responding. Thanks

To be perfectly honest, I've not compared the Delcam scanner to my 3shape scanners. We do use Delcam software here, and I know they are a great company, but I like the way 3 Shape has integrated themselves into the industry. DentMILL has been a good product for us, but the 3Shape relationship and support is going to be hard to beat.

NBT = Fortified LDS and Resin

C

charles007

Reaction score
Differences in 3Shape and Delcam scanners, ask me later next week after I start using my Delcam D102 scannner. Will be trained later this weekend.
Will say its a little more user friendly/ intutitive than 3shape, plus the yearly updates are half the cost, plus the scanner doesn't go dead if you don't pay the yearly update cost. :)

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
Differences in 3Shape and Delcam scanners, ask me later next week after I start using my Delcam D102 scannner. Will be trained later this weekend.
Will say its a little more user friendly/ intutitive than 3shape, plus the yearly updates are half the cost, plus the scanner doesn't go dead if you don't pay the yearly update cost. :)

I'm sure it's going to do a great job for you Charles. Because the technology gap is so narrow now, it's going to boil down to the company you find easiest to work with.

C

charles007

Reaction score
From what I've already seen with the Delcam, it has a few more pluses over the 3shape, but in the long run, its almost a wash out........
For a milling lab, not small lab, Delcam might save an hour a day in scan time .
Really hate to say much more until I get trained, don't want to misguide anyone in the differences.

Charles

C

charles007

Reaction score
As of today, I have the only new Delcam D102 scanner in the US, plus 2 other older model Delcam scanners that were upgraded with the new hardware and software.
So DLN Members, hear it first guys and gals, about the newest scanner on the block.
Stay tuned in for the Good, Bad, and the Ugly about going into debt up to my eye balls with cad/cam............:confused: so much to learn

user name

user name

Reaction score
Howdy Charles. Im glad you outed yourself on getting the D102. I have a question about something you said. Its about paying for updates/ license fees. With all scanners isnt there a user license fee that has to be paid annually to keep it alive and working, aside from the issue of software updates? I may have misunderstood, but thought you said after the initial purchase its good to go with no financial commitment unless you want to purchase an update? Im really looking forward to hearing how it all goes!!

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
As of today, I have the only new Delcam D102 scanner in the US

15% higher throughput than a 3Shape scanner and design center huh?

I've spent enough time on the FORESKIN of technology. I don't like being first anymore. I'll wait patiently to see how this works out for you.

C

charles007

Reaction score
Yearly updates are not required for the scanner to continue to work...But Delcam will not continue to give support for outdated software for an unlimited time.... thats a given ..
Being a small lab, its nice that I'm not required to come up with the $1250. due for my Jan 2012 update, and every January there after. I decided to not buy the implant software, had I bought it, my total cost for updates would be $1750. My total saving in 5 years with Delcan will be $5750. over buying 3shape :), and that's in US dollars, rather than euro dollars.
Update cost, great company support, intutitive software, accuracy with the scanner, were the driving forces for me to go with Delcam over 3Shape. I don't see either one of these scanner being a clear cut winner, except for the cash saving every Jan .

Mark, it didn't bother me being the first once I learned more about this scanner-software, and learned more about how large of a company Delcam is. Must say with Delcam making Cam software, that was enought of a reason to trust this scanner.......
I was told the accuracy is better with the white light than 3shape, but 3M says their scanner is the best also, and no one is complaining about who has the least data on the screen. After all, all crowns fit, but some fit better than others !! hehe.....This was told to me by an older dentist who couldn't take a good impression if his life depended on it.

C

charles007

Reaction score
15% higher throughput than a 3Shape scanner and design center huh?

I've spent enough time on the FORESKIN of technology. I don't like being first anymore. I'll wait patiently to see how this works out for you.

Mark, I will post more when I get back. The Delcam scanner has 2 multi-die adapters with 9 positions each. So don't hold me to the fire about the one hour saving, maybe much less, but it does scan faster if that matters.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
send me a scanned file!

Either the raw scan, or a designed whatever??

I'm curious about the scanner.

Scott

Top Bottom