Which scanner?

I

insomniacccc

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am a dentist who's thinking about getting into IOS, and I figure who better to talk to then our lab technician partners who really get to see scans from a wide variety of scanners.

Mainly, I'm looking to use the scanners for fixed prosth initially, but would like to eventually use them for other things, such as clear aligners.

What I was wondering is, which scanners are good? Which scanners are problematic?

Price-wise, the Medit scanners are very attractive, but when I asked my lab, they said they've had issues with scans from the Medit i500. He recommended the Itero or Trios (very expensive!)

What do you guys think?

Are Medits good (considering the i700),or are there other scanners that you'd recommend?

Thanks for any input!

C

charles007

Reaction score
Welcome doctor, you definitely came to a great place to ask questions from the labs point of view. Many lab members work with many brands of IOS so you may get different opinions depending on the lab and the ability of the doctor using IOS.
If money is not an issue by all means go with Trios. If you want a great scanner and save thousands buy the newer model Medit i700 even thought there is nothing wrong with the first generation Medit i500. In my eyes its foolish to buy older model digital anything. The Medit i700 is smaller than the i500 and scans faster. I think the thread on DentalTown will answer a few questions. Go to the thread called "Which is the best Medit option to get now" If you have trouble finding it, its under "Digital Impressions." Read both pages, but specifically post #27 with the screen shot from the Medit i500. I've seen first hand digital scans from this doctor and all of his cases were crystal clear as the one you see on post #27. The bad voids some doctors are getting with IOS, and it doesn't matter what brand of IOS is coming from improper training. It has everything to do with angling the camera properly. Using IOS, you must angle correctly or you miss entire surfaces in the scans.
Just as important as the scanner you buy is the training that comes with the sale ! The best scanner is worthless without good training and continued follow up support.
Many other dln members could give valuable advice on this subject..

SOS for TheLabGuy...... John Wilson....rkm... . Sda36 CoolHandLuke and other members !!!

Last edited:
R

Race

Reaction score
We are a lab owned by dentists. They have decided to go with Shining 3D IOS because the quality and resolution are as good as or better than the Trios Itero but a third of the price plus there are no monthly fees or transaction fees for the lab or the Dr. The portal interface is a bit limited and they are working to improve it, fortunately, they spent their R&D dollars on the quality of the hardware and resolution which makes this a very compelling option.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
There are many good scanners out there. The training and continued support you get has a lot to do with the difference in prices you see. I would be very wary of investing in a "cheaper" scanner. From my experience, the support from iTero is excellent as is the support from Sirona. I assume the same can be said for Trios, but I don't have first hand experience with them. When we bought our first lab scanner, we went with Dental Wings mainly due to how much cheaper it was than 3 Shape. After a year, I knew we made a mistake. DW was very limited and the design software wasn't in the same ballpark as what 3Shape was offering. We ended up buying a 3 Shape scanner and I immediately saw how the extra cost was worth it. The support we got from our reseller was and is invaluable. If you had prior experience with I/O scanning and you had a dedicated person in your office to focus on working out the kinks, then I could see one of the cheaper scanners being a viable option. The value in the more expensive scanners is that they allow you to spend more of your time on what makes you money...working on patients.

P

Paul scan

Reaction score
We as a lab have being receiving IO scans for the last 4 years manly Iterio, Sirona and Trios a few from others that we could even put in production ! “The top 3 “ are very consistent Trios has the best definition , Iterio has self calibration so maybe more user friendly?
we haven’t had any medit scan yet , but hearing more about them.

Top Bottom