Which milling machine should I get

Decalcified

Decalcified

Reaction score
What are some comparisons of milling emax wax dry then pressing versus wet milling emax cad? Advantages and disadvantages of each? I am thinking of starting a one man lab soon, would appreciate your thoughts? Thanks!

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
This has been hashed over many times. There is a trove of information here.

search.png

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
you cant drymill emax.

you can dry mill wax and press it into emax, but thats not the same thing

doug

doug

Reaction score
There are many options out there. We have 2 VHF 4 axis mills. We have been very happy with them.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
The best bet is to start up with a pressing furnace only...that can be used for regular porcelain work as well. When you have enough workflow you could start getting into digital by buying a scanner...then a cheapo printer and finally a mill.

Decalcified

Decalcified

Reaction score
The best bet is to start up with a pressing furnace only...that can be used for regular porcelain work as well. When you have enough workflow you could start getting into digital by buying a scanner...then a cheapo printer and finally a mill.
This was my first instinct, but why a printer?

Last edited:
doug

doug

Reaction score
We get very good fits with milled wax. I was surprised as I had thought that there would be issues. We spent some time working out the parameters, but it has been pretty smooth. We just about always tweak the occlusion to make it a little nicer.

R

Ryan

Reaction score
By a Roland and a Zubler Pressing furnace. In my opinion the fit is much better when it's pressed. Also if you are still casting you can mill those units as well. Here is a picture from a lecture I attended. Milled (left) Pressed (right). The technician that took this photo and gave the lecture is Christian Hannker.

Attachments

• Milled emax vs pressed.JPG
    Milled emax vs pressed.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
Decalcified

Decalcified

Reaction score
We get very good fits with milled wax. I was surprised as I had thought that there would be issues. We spent some time working out the parameters, but it has been pretty smooth. We just about always tweak the occlusion to make it a little nicer.[/QUOT
By a Roland and a Zubler Pressing furnace. In my opinion the fit is much better when it's pressed. Also if you are still casting you can mill those units as well. Here is a picture from a lecture I attended. Milled (left) Pressed (right). The technician that took this photo and gave the lecture is Christian Hannker.
wow! That's a huge difference. I liked Roland better anyway, for a few reasons. Right now I'm a Ceramist at a large lab And I don't like the emax cad. The fit OR the color (seems too washed out or the stains don't take to it as well?) thanks you are all awesome and have so much knowledge and experience!

Top Bottom