Where is my occlusal space going?

S

sirmorty

Reaction score
I'm using Exocad and by the time I correct the antagonist for some foil relief and factor in cement space. I'm fighting for space to design.

Maybe it's also my CAM that is taking up the space?

Can anyone share some settings or know where I could be losing the space?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180904-160946.png
    Screenshot_20180904-160946.png
    302.4 KB · Views: 42
CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
if anything your cam will be leaving material, milling too large.

recently i discovered this with great pain on my 350.

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
I'm using Exocad and by the time I correct the antagonist for some foil relief and factor in cement space. I'm fighting for space to design.

I think you have to ask docs for more clearance or trim opposing, you need room for nice looking and functional occlusional anatomy.

user name

user name

Reaction score
What do you mean, correct antagonist for some foil relief? I like to work with accurate scans; hopefully just the way it is in the mouth. I have my minimum thickness at .7 and gap thickness of cement at .025. I usually have enough room to work with. I use black silk typing ribbon to check occlusions on the model. No room? talk to the Dr.

A

adl

Reaction score
What do you mean, correct antagonist for some foil relief? I like to work with accurate scans; hopefully just the way it is in the mouth. I have my minimum thickness at .7 and gap thickness of cement at .025. I usually have enough room to work with. I use black silk typing ribbon to check occlusions on the model. No room? talk to the Dr.
It could be your mill not your scanner

S

sirmorty

Reaction score
If I design with exactly what the DOF scanner or 3shape D800 gives me, the bite will be high in the mouth. Guaranteed

I adjust the bite to collide with each other. Most accounts don't want to do any adjustments, especially occlusal.

It's the same with oral scans that are sent. The bite is always over closed on the scans.

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
If I design with exactly what the DOF scanner or 3shape D800 gives me, the bite will be high in the mouth. Guaranteed

I adjust the bite to collide with each other. Most accounts don't want to do any adjustments, especially occlusal.

It's the same with oral scans that are sent. The bite is always over closed on the scans.

Is your “correct to anatagonist” step done in expert? I do that usually 3clicks, getting the contact spots green. Then back in wizard at the “adjust to antagonist, usually set at .13-.14 . Occlusion is fine most of the time.

Is it possible that you had limited occlusal space to begin with ?

Last edited:
S

sirmorty

Reaction score
Yeah , I do that in expert mode. Usually 3 or 4 clicks like you say.

I feel like there is at least 1mm total space in most cases. I find that it's fine when I design and it should not be any issue. But it's not translating to when I have the crowns milled out and sintered or in the mouth.

Mike2

Mike2

Reaction score
If u have a mm to start, how do you think you will have enough rm? .25mm cement gap and min. thickness .5mm, then .12-.14mm relief leaves very little rm for error. My 2 cents

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
If u have a mm to start, how do you think you will have enough rm? .25mm cement gap and min. thickness .5mm, then .12-.14mm relief leaves very little rm for error. My 2 cents
Cement gap in microns is 40-60 microns and that’s 0.04 - 0.06 millimeters

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
some people crank up cement gap instead of ensuring the milling toolpaths remove all the material.

user name

user name

Reaction score
some people crank up cement gap instead of ensuring the milling toolpaths remove all the material.
On that point...its been a long time since Ive touched it, but I was looking for the drill comp settings, and I cant seem to find where it was/is. Im using Exo and Hyperdent.

A

adl

Reaction score
Mm is not the same with microns.

user name

user name

Reaction score
1mm = 1000 microns

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score

You asked in the first post, here is mine. Clarification... the cement gap of .095 is for one of my mill centers. When I send to a different mill center with D51 mill I use .04 for cement gap.
0BF25066-EB9D-4C5B-91CA-C33BCEC4CC62.jpeg